Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a DPX2 on my ebike. Ive got my fork working great so now its time to get the best out of my shock.

Its a,
Short ID: D5DP
Description: 2021, FLOAT DPX2, P-Se, A, 3pos-Adj, Trunnion, Evol LV, Merida, eOne-Sixty, 205, 65, 0.4 Spacer, CEC001, RLA018, Rezi A F M+,

Im 100kg and with 230psi Im getting 25% sag. After a ride today with plenty of drops I still have 15mm to bottom out. Im maxed out on rebound.

Should I remove the spacer?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
How big are the drops?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Try 28-30% sag.
Not sure what maxed out on rebound means?
Are you running rebound fully closed or fully open? Shouldn't be at the limit in either direction at 230 PSI.
Also, what position is the low speed compression lever in?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
You don't want to be using full travel on a 2-3 foot drop. I think you're all good there.

The rebound being maxed out on slow and still functioning as normal probably means a custom tune would be ideal.

I'd continue to play around with it though, removing a spacer is pretty straight forward.

Are you bottoming for fork out on those drops?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try 28-30% sag.
Not sure what maxed out on rebound means?
Are you running rebound fully closed or fully open? Shouldn't be at the limit in either direction at 230 PSI.
Also, what position is the low speed compression lever in?
Its full closed.

I leave the lever in open.

You don't want to be using full travel on a 2-3 foot drop. I think you're all good there.

The rebound being maxed out on slow and still functioning as normal probably means a custom tune would be ideal.

I'd continue to play around with it though, removing a spacer is pretty straight forward.

Are you bottoming for fork out on those drops?
Its not huge stuff and having some in reserve I guess is a good idea.

No not bottoming the forks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I would try less air and if you can find a shockwiz, it can solve some tuning mistakes very quickly.
Rebound on full slow sounds wrong, how did you tune your rebound? Did you do the sidewalk test?
Does the manufacturer have tuning guide for your bike? I would start with that.

I also have DPX2 on a different bike. Manufacturer tuning guide was a very good start.
Rebound is around the middle, and I also a heavy rider.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Its a bit harsh. Doing drops its fine but hitting roots etc at speed seems harsh.
It seems maybe it's an issue with running too much rebound damping.

Try open it up a couple of clicks (anti-clockwise) and see if it feels better or worse. If better, then open another couple of clicks again until it starts feeling worse, then re-add one click.

You mentioned your rebound is "maxed out" but it's not clear whether it's fully clockwirse, or anticlockwise?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems maybe it's an issue with running too much rebound damping.

Try open it up a couple of clicks (anti-clockwise) and see if it feels better or worse. If better, then open another couple of clicks again until it starts feeling worse, then re-add one click.

You mentioned your rebound is "maxed out" but it's not clear whether it's fully clockwirse, or anticlockwise?
Im very open to giving that a shot. So will. I set it using the curb test. Maybe I did it wrong. Its which ever way is full slow.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Im very open to giving that a shot. So will. I set it using the curb test. Maybe I did it wrong. Its which ever way is full slow.
Curb test doesn't help as the differences between seated and unseated are enormous. Use the method in my guide.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
For the curb test you have to do it both standing and seated. You can also bunny hop, but this introduces a lot of noise, and let's face it, many people cannot bunny hop. It will usually end up one or two clicks off, and the rest you do while riding.

Other methods like in the link are very subjective and good for advanced riders that know exactly how suspension behaves. For beginners they need something simpler without applying too much judgement.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bit of a play in the drive today. Have brought the rebound to 6 clicks out.

Heading to a local riding hotspot during the week to see how it is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just clicked I didnt respond to this. Dougal was right, who would have thought?

Now more in the middle of the range. And its much more plush now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's a setup guide to work through: 1 Page Suspension Setup Guide - Suspension Setup - Technical | Shockcraft

The sequence is air pressure, air volume, rebound and then compression.
I’m in a similar situation as the OP. I have a DPX2 and the setup that ended up feeling good (not great though) confuses me a little.

I followed your sequence and the air pressure that gives me a decent support results in a relatively large static sag (37-38%), if that matters. Going up in pressure feels harsh and too much feedback through the pedals when riding. Currently using the 0.4 cc token, going up to the 0.6 cc also feels harsh. Rebound is fine, 9-10 clicks, almost wide open.

What suprises me is that the rear end feels much much better with the compression set to the medium position. Not for just regular trail riding, in the downhill sections as well. Is my setup that off?

I read that post from Vorsprung where Steve showed how much the rebound affected the range of the compression adjuster, so maybe that’s what’s happening?

I don’t “have” to make it work, I have other shocks that work better. Just curious about what could be happening and how much could it really improve keeping it in stock configuration.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I’m in a similar situation as the OP. I have a DPX2 and the setup that ended up feeling good (not great though) confuses me a little.

I followed your sequence and the air pressure that gives me a decent support results in a relatively large static sag (37-38%), if that matters. Going up in pressure feels harsh and too much feedback through the pedals when riding. Currently using the 0.4 cc token, going up to the 0.6 cc also feels harsh. Rebound is fine, 9-10 clicks, almost wide open.

What suprises me is that the rear end feels much much better with the compression set to the medium position. Not for just regular trail riding, in the downhill sections as well. Is my setup that off?

I read that post from Vorsprung where Steve showed how much the rebound affected the range of the compression adjuster, so maybe that’s what’s happening?

I don’t “have” to make it work, I have other shocks that work better. Just curious about what could be happening and how much could it really improve keeping it in stock configuration.
In my guide if you have ride height too low (i.e. too much sag) to increase volume and then set air pressure again. So pull out that 0.4ci spacer and go do the bounce tests again.

The stock damper tunes on thes are bizarre so it's not surprising you like the mid setting best.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts