Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a hard time here, I'm reading I should get a dpx2 and get it tuned by dirt lab since I am a bigger rider. Im 210lbs plus weight from my bag so 220ish lbs. I currently have a float x and it bottoms out when i ride hard on rocky down hill and I hate it. Is a good tune really gonna make a dpx2 plush without bottoming out on me? I would go with a dhx2 with a 700lb spring but I have read it can still bottom due to short travel of 57mm. Tell me what I should do? I want a nice soft plush ride going fast in rock gardens and it seems like only way I will get that is with a dhx2 . The x2 is not an option since I would max it out. I am open to other brands but the dpx2 seems like the best option and its $300 new on ebay with a m/m tune.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
DPX2 is going to be an upgrade over the float x. That being said, I think you'd get the same, similar or better performance (compared to a dpx2) by sending your float x to avalanche and have him mod and tune it. Your float x may need a rebuild and to top it off, it wasn't ever the best design to start out with. The dpx2 is an improvement over the float x but they are relatives in terms of design and technology.

I'd be concerned about a dhx2 on that bike. That generation of VPP is for all intents and purposes, linear. That means it's not going to provide the ramp up you need to avoid bottom outs. By extension, that means you're going to be sprung about 10-15% over optimum for your weight to resist bottom outs, and it's going still be choppy when the going gets fast and rough. There is a good chance however, that for 70% of trail input that occurs in the mid stroke, the coil will feel better as it's going to give more support and have less stiction. However at the beginning and certainly at the end of the stroke (the extremes of lowest low speed, and highest high speed hits) it's going to potentially feel harsh due to the leverage curve of the bike, and your spring rate. There are some options now, such as a cane creek progressive wound vault spring. However, I'd caution folks from going that route unless they were very in tune with suspension feeling and tuning, it's not quite fully charted territory.

If it were me, I'd go dpx2 or send my float x to avalanche. All of this is subjective however, and plenty of people enjoy coil shocks on gen 2 vpp bikes (hightower for example) but even the hightower has more progressiveness at the end of the stroke then your bronson 2. Santa Cruz Bronson II 2016 - Linkage Design

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much minimusprime for taking the time to give such a great answer! So I think I will go with what you said and get a dpx2 because it is an upgrade over the float x and from what I read uses some technology from the origional x2. And then send it in and get a custom tune on the new dpx2 and hopefully that will get rid of most of my problems. It's tough because I live in Colorado and we have to climb to get to the downhill but when you get there it's fast, long, supper tough and rugged terrain with rock gardens you fly over like bakers tank. I almost wish I had a downhill bike or an enduro with 160mm of travel in the rear sometimes.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I wouldn't rule out coil on a Bronson v2 if you don't mind the weight. I run a Rockshox Vivid RC2 coil on mine and I love it. I'm 210lbs and run a 550lb spring and haven't bottomed it out yet, even at the bike park. I'm not one to do big drops or jumps, though. If you're into that sort of thing, you might have issues. But for rough rock gardens and rugged terrain it works great.

Btw 700 lbs seems like way too heavy of a spring. Like I said, I run 550 and it feels pretty responsive and not at all mushy. Putting your weight into the TFtuned calulator, it says around 616 lbs for 28% sag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.