Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

First of all if this topic has already been discussed and I missed it in my searches then please just direct me and we can close this thread.

I have a 2019 Hightower (non-LT) and want to upgrade the DPS rear shock that came with my build for the DPX2. Has anyone done this and can provide some feedback on any improvements with the upgrade? Also, any setup suggestions?

I am big at 6'1", 250lbs and looking to run the same rear travel at 7.825x2.0 DPX2. Mostly ride flowing trails with some minor rocky/rooty sections.

My biggest struggle with the DPS has been finding the balance between not bottoming out by adding pressure but having numbness on the smaller hits and vice versa. Even with Volume Spacers (running a 0.6 now) added there is some lack of feel or I bottom it out bc of my heft.

I hoping something like the DPX2 will allow me to fine tune a little better and find the balance I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on initial setup on this setup!

·
Turns right, slides left
742 Posts
Given your situation, unless you have the DPX tuned, I'm not sure it will be much of an improvement for you.

You might want to consider the McLeod. I recently changed my Tall Boy's DPS for the McLeod and stock it outperforms the DPS in every way. By a wide margin.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hello!

First of all if this topic has already been discussed and I missed it in my searches then please just direct me and we can close this thread.

I have a 2019 Hightower (non-LT) and want to upgrade the DPS rear shock that came with my build for the DPX2. Has anyone done this and can provide some feedback on any improvements with the upgrade? Also, any setup suggestions?

I am big at 6'1", 250lbs and looking to run the same rear travel at 7.825x2.0 DPX2. Mostly ride flowing trails with some minor rocky/rooty sections.

My biggest struggle with the DPS has been finding the balance between not bottoming out by adding pressure but having numbness on the smaller hits and vice versa. Even with Volume Spacers (running a 0.6 now) added there is some lack of feel or I bottom it out bc of my heft.

I hoping something like the DPX2 will allow me to fine tune a little better and find the balance I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on initial setup on this setup!
Former hightower owner here. The dpx2 is a good choice for your needs. Any conversation regarding bottoming is based on the air spring, which will largely be the same setup between both +/-. That tuning must be done based on sag and volume spacers which limit and control bottom out. The hightower is a difficult bike to manage in some regards as the leverage ratio sorta means you are always making a compromise between small bump compliance and bottom out. No matter what you do and how much money you throw in, it will still send feedback into the rider... it's just a truth about that frame and it's design.

I digress... you will still need to dial in air spring and bottom out properly. Aim for 30% sag and keep adding volume reducers until you are bottoming out, but cannot feel it. Alternatively, keep adding volume reducers until you don't bottom out and then size back one. The OG HT really wants to be in a sag range of 28-33% depending on the riding style and desired feel.

Regarding hte DPX2... one of the reasons i'm making this suggestion is that the performance elite and factory versions allow you to dial in low speed compression damping which is a help on the hightower. Once you get the air spring dialed, you will be able to add LSC adjustment to curb pedaling forces and rider weight shifts. This may allow you to run a bit more sag/compliance to eat up small bumps, yet still provide some platform for you in the mid/beginning stroke to control the bike.

Me personally, I find the DPS is actually a really good shock considering the price point, however the open mode is usually a bit too open for me. Meaning I have to run it in medium, which leads to it being a bit harsh on high speed chop.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this feedback - I know there is no perfect setup so I appreciate your points regarding the frame characteristics. Good to know as I go down the path of upgrades shocks - remember when you just got on a bike and rode it?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I just put a rockshox Super Deluxe Coil on my HT, wow what a combo! I am about 225lbs and had been struggling with those issues. I hated the stock shock, went to a monarch Plus Debonair which was an improvement but the coil is crazy good. You can pick a coil that supports your weight and from there the stock tuning should do you pretty well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.