Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't taken the plunge yet, but thought I'd start a new thread, rather than confuse things by posting in the thread for the "old" FEX.

Mounting details and ride impressions will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TrippinFlop Quote: "I got all the hardware yesterday, trek sent the bolts and fox sent the shock sleeves and spacers. The lower hardware does seem to have a 1mm gap but the upper one fits perfect. Also the lower shock spacer setup is asymmetrical requiring a smaller spacer on the right and a wider spacer on the left.

Unfortunately the only thing that was messed up with this entire order was the shock itself. I was sent a 210x52.5mm rather than a 210x55mm. It doesn't sound like much but I'd lose about 10mm in travel. To make it better, they are out of stock of the 55mm till feb 21st or something and if I want the right one, I cant use the one they sent me or else I cant return it. Even though it wasn't my fault that the wrong one was sent, if I got the 52.5mm converted to a 55mm I'd have to pay even more to get the spacer removed."

It sounds like you got the shock for the previous Fuel EX.

As far as hardware, I wonder if the lower shock mount width changed a bit on the new version of the FEX? Possibly due to the change from Full Floater to solid mount?

[email protected] might be able to help us out here with a few dimensions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 9.7 doesn't have the thru shaft shock, neither does the 8. Looks like regular float dps.

Wouldn't the hardware and spacers from those bikes work for the 210x55 dpx2?
It does seem like you can take the hardware from the 9.7 and 8 and just get the shock and it should fit no problem.

Can you not just remove a spacer to increase the stroke by 2.5mm?
Yes I probably could have but I sent it back to fox and should have it back within a week. Luckily I had a friend who had a spare dpx2(performance not factory) and is letting me borrow it while I sent mine back to be extended correctly. His is tuned for a yeti 130. Also fox custom tuned the my dpx2 for the FEX.

I went on ride yesterday with this performance dpx2 and I can tell that it feels much more playful and more comfortable than the thru shaft. The first thing I noticed was the shock did not bottom out and felt much more progressive in the bottom half of the stroke. The second, I was able to leave the shock in open mode and it climbed and descended great. The thru shaft I had to flip the switch every time I was going up or down a hill. The last thing I noticed was the ability to bunny hop again, I thought since this was my first 29er that it was just harder to pop off things, but I think it was the thru shaft having no progression and blowing through the travel basically absorbing all your effort to pop, I even threw a .8 volume spacer in there and it still didnt help much. Overall having it seems like it's going to be a good change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Who did you order sleeves and spacers from, Fox ? Part numbers please.
Fox sent those, I'm not 100% exactly are all the parts, they sent a ton of spare hardware that wasn't used or would have fit. I think they sent multiple sets because some bags I needed the spacers and others I needed the sleeves. What I think I used was 3 - 22mm spacers and 1-12mm spacer. The top sleeve was 54mm and the bottom sleeve was 1.965".

The top sleeve used 2-23mm spacers and centered the shock.
The lower sleeve used one 12mm spacer and one 22mm and the shock was not centered.

But honestly I think it might be easier calling fox and telling them I have an FEX and would like to put this shock on, what do I need?

·
Community Manager at Trek
519 Posts
Just to add some info for the thread.

2020 FEX uses 54x10mm top spacing and 50x10mm lower spacing with a 210x55mm shock.

When looking for the correct spacers for your shock, you would want to reach out to the shock manufacturer since the spacers would be supplied by them and are determined by the width of the shock body mount.

Also, this should be helpful for anyone looking to move between mounting hardware:

Line Font Aircraft Aerospace engineering Design

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to add some info for the thread.

2020 FEX uses 54x10mm top spacing and 50x10mm lower spacing with a 210x55mm shock.

When looking for the correct spacers for your shock, you would want to reach out to the shock manufacturer since the spacers would be supplied by them and are determined by the width of the shock body mount.

Also, this should be helpful for anyone looking to move between mounting hardware:

View attachment 1309459
Killer stuff. Thanks!

I hear you on the shock body mount determining the width of the spacers, but..........

Since this is a DPX2 thread, any chance you could dig those up at your leisure?

·
519 Posts
Killer stuff. Thanks!

I hear you on the shock body mount determining the width of the spacers, but..........

Since this is a DPX2 thread, any chance you could dig those up at your leisure?
So I don't have the measurements of their hardware, but you really only need to know the shock spacing as listed above and Fox can supply what you'll need (but make sure you get both the bushings and alloy bolt/tube. Should you happen to get the shock and can't seem to get the hardware from Fox, I learned today that we have some in stock: 595575 for the upper and 525244 / 5274883 for the lower with a 10mm offset to the non-drive side.

For FEXs with the trunnion mounted Thru-shaft shock (9.8 and 9.9), you will need to order #30 and #31 for the lower mount AND #30 and #29 for the upper mount. For these, they are in two kits, part # 599898 and 599899. This is specifically for the DPX2 and similar shocks of that style.

Example 1: Billy has a FEX 9.7, all he needs to install the DPX2 is to order the proper 54x10 and 50x10 Fox hardware with his shock and then he just slaps it on.

Example 2: Joe has a FEX 9.9, he has a trunnion mount thru-shaft shock. He will also want to order the 54x10 and 50x10 Fox hardware with his shock, BUT he needs to order #30 and #31 for the lower mount AND #30 and #29 for the upper mount to attach it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a Fox DHX2 coil on my 2020 fuel ex 8. My question is are the new fuel's a good candidate for a coil shock? Is the suspension design very progressive to help with bottoming out? Those who have put coils on the new Slash have said nothing but great things about them and i can only assume the leverage ratio is similar to the new fuel's. My only other concern would be if the DHX2 will physically fit. Our new fuel's have a rather large bend in the seat tube that limits the diameter of the shock. Any help you guys my be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
519 Posts
What Josh said - but also the DHX2 Coil is better suited for DH bikes (hence the name) and enduro bikes because of the terrain those bikes are built to ride which is more aggressive than a trail bike. The DPX2 would be a nice shock if it is something that suits your riding style though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm curious what part of a coil shock doesn't fit. I know the outside diameter of a DHX2 spring is 2.16" and the largest part of a DPX2 shock body is 2.2" in diameter and these seem to fit just fine. Has someone actually tried the coil before without it fitting? I'm not doubting you guys, just trying to understand where the clearance issue is. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those who may be interested, a DHX2 does in fact fit in a 2020 Fuel ex with room to spare. This shock has completely transformed the bike. Small to medium sized objects hit at speed feel like they aren't even there!

View attachment 1324615

View attachment 1324617
Awesome news!

1. Could you tell us your weight, and what spring you're using?

2. Is the shock so good that the fork now feels kinda lousy?!

TIA

1 - 20 of 45 Posts