Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a Trail 429 V2 enduro with a Fox DPX2 (see details below).

I'm about 220lbs with gear and I need roughly 285psi+ for 30% sag.

According to Pivot:
"On Float DPX2 shocks, the compression damping is in the fully open position when the lever is turned up, towards the top tube. Lighter riders under 180lbs will generally run in the full open position most of the time. Riders in the 180lb+ range and more aggressive riders who like the feel of more mid-stroke support will generally prefer the middle setting.... For a rider between 160-170lbs., we like to start at 8 clicks in from full open as a good baseline setting. For riders about 190 lbs., we recommend 1-2 clicks out from full closed. Heavier riders and more aggressive riders over 185 lbs. will want to run the lever in the middle setting. The 3mm adjuster only affects the compression adjustment in the open setting."

I'm just curious are there any heavy riders out there on a DPX2 that can confirm they prefer the middle compression setting? I find myself always fully open with clicks fully closed and I'm wondering if I should consider running the middle setting.

Reference Information:
2021 Trail 429 Enduro V2
Shock ID: D5D9
2021, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Evol LV, Pivot, Trail 429, 190, 45, 0.6 Spacer, CLH001, RLA019, Rezi A2 L- M+, No Logo
Pivot guidelines: https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/file/download/64949?isPreview=True (Page4)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

I'm about 220lbs with gear and I need roughly 285psi+ for 30% sag.

According to Pivot:
"On Float DPX2 shocks, the compression damping is in the fully open position when the lever is turned up, towards the top tube. Lighter riders under 180lbs will generally run in the full open position most of the time. Riders in the 180lb+ range and more aggressive riders who like the feel of more mid-stroke support will generally prefer the middle setting.... For a rider between 160-170lbs., we like to start at 8 clicks in from full open as a good baseline setting. For riders about 190 lbs., we recommend 1-2 clicks out from full closed. Heavier riders and more aggressive riders over 185 lbs. will want to run the lever in the middle setting. The 3mm adjuster only affects the compression adjustment in the open setting."

I'm just curious are there any heavy riders out there on a DPX2 that can confirm they prefer the middle compression setting? I find myself always fully open with clicks fully closed and I'm wondering if I should consider running the middle setting.

Reference Information:
2021 Trail 429 Enduro V2
Shock ID: D5D9
2021, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Evol LV, Pivot, Trail 429, 190, 45, 0.6 Spacer
Pivot guidelines: https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/file/download/64949?isPreview=True (Page4)
you left out arguably the most important part for the custom tune ID which is "CLH001, RLA019, Rezi A2 L- M+"

That is what dictates the dpx2 compression and rebound tunes. I run pretty much that same, light - no preload compression and rebound tune with the upgraded base-valve on my dpx2, which is then run on my giant trance 29. I weigh ~175lbs, and I would qualify myself as an aggressive rider. I do find that I have to generally run at most, -4 clicks out on open mode, that is if I'm even going to use open mode. I generally only use open when I'm riding very steep terrain and I want the bike to sit back into it's travel a bit more. For the most part, for general trail riding, I ride with the shock in medium as it provides the right amount of support for popping off trail features etc.

That being said, in uber chunky and steep stuff, the medium setting can give a bit more feedback into the frame then I am always after. But for the majority of my trail riding, the middle setting is very good.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't have the same bike as you but I run a DPX2 on one of my bikes and I'm close to your weight at about 210 lbs geared up. I do have a custom lighter tune on my shock so our clicks and other settings wouldn't really be comparable. I normally ride in the middle setting for aggressive trail riding as I find the bike is more poppy and it pumps a bit better. If things are going to be all down hill and rowdy, I'll put it into the open setting so there's a bit less feedback but for the majority of my rides and my riding area I keep it in the middle.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I'm 240lb's and have a DPX2 on my Banshee Phantom V3...

I use the middle click on technical climbs and/or mellow descents.

On smooth climbs, I'll lock it out... locked out, it makes my bike feel like a HT.

Fully open, it feels like more travel than the numbers let on.

Went with recommended pressure for my weight and shock is running nicely.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Part of this may be that Pivot tends to spec a very light compression tune, in part due to the DW Link rear suspension design.

This info from the Fox shock code lookup page might tell you something: 2021, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Evol LV, Pivot, Trail 429, 190, 45, 0.6 Spacer, CLH001, RLA019, Rezi A2 L- M+, No Logo

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm running 270 psi.
Yep 270psi that's where I ended up after being more careful about my sag measurement (30% target). Easy to mess it up. I know the shock to wheel ratio affects this, but it's good to know I'm not way off. Thank you.

After riding with my correct sag in the middle compression setting, it feels good through the flowing sections, but harsh on the rocky rooty descents. After hitting a local favorite high speed blue/black trail with some jumps and drops (~2ft), I was only at 85% travel. I feel like I get a better ride on open with 1-2 clicks out and use up more of the travel, but that seems to go against all others on here. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Go with what you feel gives you the best performance for what you're looking for. We have different setups but I like my rebound a bit faster for pumping and popping off of stuff. I'm 5 clicks out from the slowest setting and my high speed compression is 3 clicks out (I have the elite model with LSC adjustment). The LSC only affects my shock in the open mode. The tune on mine is setup light which makes it faster. I was looking at your tune and I'm using 0.4 spacer and I'm using most of my travel without any bottoming out at all. No crazy jumps or huge drops in my area. Probably 3 to 4 feet of air tops. I think that the 1 or 2 clicks out that Pivot recommends is for a bit lighter weight rider at around 190 lbs. Wouldn't hurt to add a click or two of low speed compression and see if your like it that way or not.
Your shock info- Short ID: D5D9
Description: 2021, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Evol LV, Pivot, Trail 429, 190, 45, 0.6 Spacer, CLH001, RLA019, Rezi A2 L- M+, No Logo

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go with what you feel gives you the best performance for what you're looking for. We have different setups but I like my rebound a bit faster for pumping and popping off of stuff. I'm 5 clicks out from the slowest setting and my high speed compression is 3 clicks out (I have the elite model with HSC adjustment). The HSC only affects my shock in the open mode. The tune on mine is setup light which makes it faster. I was looking at your tune and I'm using 0.4 spacer and I'm using most of my travel without any bottoming out at all. No crazy jumps or huge drops in my area. Probably 3 to 4 feet of air tops. I think that the 1 or 2 clicks out that Pivot recommends is for a bit lighter weight rider at around 190 lbs. Wouldn't hurt to add a click or two of low speed compression and see if your like it that way or not.
Your shock info- Short ID: D5D9
Description: 2021, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj, Evol LV, Pivot, Trail 429, 190, 45, 0.6 Spacer, CLH001, RLA019, Rezi A2 L- M+, No Logo
I agree with do what feels good! I think I'll keep digging on open with 1-2 click from all the way in.

I'm a bit confused about HSC vs LSC on the DPX2 that you describe. As far as I know it's just LSC but a fine tune for the open lever right?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Fox has the DPX2, the DPX2 Elite, and the DPX2 Factory The Elite adds the low speed compression adjustment (it’s a small hex head adjuster in the center of the blue lever). The Factory has the same LSC adjustment and adds the kashima coating. The LSC adjustment supposedly doesn’t do anything in any other position other than the open position. I run my sag at 14.85 mm which is at 27% for what it’s worth. If I ran mine at only two clicks out it wouldn’t be able to rebound fast enough which will cause that rougher feeling you felt on the rocky / rooty descents because the shock will pack down and be riding towards the end of its travel / stroke since it’s not extending fast enough to ride higher in its travel where it needs to be to provide more support and a longer compression stroke on the rougher repeated hits.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was comparing our shock tunes and they are kind of similar. The differences I see are that mine is the Elite which has the extra LSC adjustment, our rezi tunes are a bit different, and our strokes and lengths are different.

My stroke and length is 210x55 and yours is 190x45. My shock is also a 2021.
Your rezi is Rezi A2 L- M+
My rezi is Rezi A2 L L

I’m no suspension guru but from the research I did I gathered that “L” is for light, “M” is for medium, and “A”is for adjustable. Light doesn’t mean for light weight. It means it’s a light tune so it’s movement is faster. “M”would move slower but also be more firm and take more force to begin its movement if I understand correctly. I can’t remember what the pluses and minuses mean off hand but if I remember right it means more or less of the letter it follows. So M + means more M than usual and vice versa. There’s some informational posts on here in regards to defining the letters and meanings of everything in relation to the Fox DPX2 tunes.

Info from Fox about compression settings-
“When you decrease compression damping by turning the adjustment knob counter-clockwise, you allow the shock to compress faster. It feels softer and more supple.
When you increase compression damping by turning the adjustment knob clockwise, you make the shock compress slower. It feels stiffer and more supportive.”

·
Registered
311 Posts
DPX2 Factory and Performance Elite Compression adjuster adjusts LSC and not HSC.
This is correct, thanks. I edited / fixed my previous posts to reflect the correct information in order to avoid future confusion of anyone reading. The extra LSC adjustment only affects the shock's performance during rider weight shifts, G-outs, and slow inputs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.