Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 184x44 shock for my build, 110 rear travel. I'm trying to keep the bike lightish and not do what i do with every bike and start making it heavy, not that theres many heavy shock options in that size.

Small bump sensitivity, good resistance to bottom out and tuneability are big factors for me, that tuneability can be from adjustments on the shock itself or if a company offers a tune service for it.

Im not in the loop at all with the last couple years of new shocks so just want to get an idea of the differences between all the top options.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I liked the DB IL Air for tech climbs. The increased low speed compression and rebound from the Climb switch did wonders for controlling the bounce, when hitting obstacles hard with momentum, in order to get through tricky sections that lack traction and/or clearance for pedaling. It maintained a good ride height too, not too many pedal/crank/chainring strikes. Taught me a good deal about susp in general, messing with it. I learned that I liked quite a bit of LSC and LSR, and ran the minimum HSC and HSR required to stay out of trouble--I ran enough HSR to prevent bucking out of G-outs and from hucks to flat, and the spring rate was good enough to not really need too much HSC (if it had a wallowy midstroke, like the non-IL I would've considered running more).

I eventually replaced mine with a Float X2, and found that the X2 is way easier to bottom out. Running 230 psi in X2 and I weigh 135 lbs w/o gear...

DPS was just the baseline. Nothing wrong with it, but it was custom tuned for the frame. Didn't cause me any grief--I just set and forget it. Very simple. Could set it up to lack LSC and rebound, and could set it up to have too much, and could find a setting in between that I could settle on that balanced well with the fork. Kind of did wish the lockout itself balanced with the fork, and was more convenient to activate/deactivate without taking a hand off the bars. I would've used it more, rather than just opting to leave it off, due to my tendency to forgetting to change it back.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
My DPS was custom tuned for my frame (orbea occam) and it was terrible. In typical fox fashion, it has either no LSC and tons of HSC, or a still lacking amount of LSC and an insane amount of HSC, or it was locked out.

I wouldnt say the DPS is a top option. Its towards the bottom with the off brand stuff. I think the monarch RT3 is worlds better. Or a mcleod. Or take the weight and look at piggybacks. From others reviews, the CC inline shock is also very good. Really anything but a DPS.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You're describing a Manitou Mcleod.
Yep, replaced a Monarch on my 115mm bike with a McLeod and I am very pleased. It's a tunable solid performer, well supported, and it's even the best priced. The only complication is it would take a 190x50 with 6mm of spacer in the air can to get it to 184x44, which is a fairly simple process.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
My DPS was custom tuned for my frame (orbea occam) and it was terrible. In typical fox fashion, it has either no LSC and tons of HSC, or a still lacking amount of LSC and an insane amount of HSC, or it was locked out.

I wouldnt say the DPS is a top option. Its towards the bottom with the off brand stuff. I think the monarch RT3 is worlds better. Or a mcleod. Or take the weight and look at piggybacks. From others reviews, the CC inline shock is also very good. Really anything but a DPS.
To be fair the DPS worked absolutely horrible on the Occams. If that was my baseline for how DPS worked I would hate the shocks. Whereas the DPS on an Oiz is absolutely amazing.

To the OP my suggestion when you are looking at shocks is research reliability. In my opinion reliability should be your number one priority.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the DB air is a solid option, I really like the 4 way adjustments too. Surprised the DPS sounds that bad, I talked to someone at the trailhead with the factory 3pos adjust dps and he sounded really stoked on it. Guess that’s not saying much.. I’ll look into the manitou a little more

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had a monarch rt3 and a DB Air IL on my process 111 which uses 184x44. I also had a DPS on another bike and i didn't like it.

I ended up with a modified 190x50 mcleod, the best thing you can get in this size. Impressive shock.

The cane creek is also very good but pricey and you can't service it by yourself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a monarch rt3 and a DB Air IL on my process 111 which uses 184x44. I also had a DPS on another bike and i didn't like it.

I ended up with a modified 190x50 mcleod, the best thing you can get in this size. Impressive shock.

The cane creek is also very good but pricey and you can't service it by yourself.
how'd you modify it to fit 184x44, just realized my size isnt an option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.