Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Fenders for mud

The commercial downtube shrouds by T.H.E. and others do keep your downtube cleaner in mud and protect it from rock strikes. Not much more.

For mud and rain, wider home made works much better, like mine pictured, but do catch wind. I'm using a smaller CRUD brand downtube fender now with a similar as pictured custom lower driveline protection extension.

CRUD makes the best rear and down tube fenders currently. T.H.E. Makes the best front fender, but too short for faster speeds in wet conditions to protect from spray forward and up into the eyes.

Here's a 2 year old picture of my bike. These fenders protect the driveline, shock, and me from mud very well.

Edit: added 2 pictures of current bike and fenders. Fender in front is by T.H.E. extended about 5 inches with a second front plastic piece. Downtube is now by Crud, plus a custom "fugly" (evolved from the original invented by Brown-Teeth) drive train fender extended below the downtube fender (attached to BB shell with velcro). The rear fender and swingarm (pivot and drivetrain) fender are both CRUD. This setup is lighter and, more important in stormy weather, is more aerodynamic.

Attachments

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
...heh,heh... That's hysterical...

I hate getting isht splattered all over me too, but, I don't know... lost for words. The only part you're missing is the flap between the arch and the crown.

On a side note, is that a Push'd Vanilla RC on there? Very nice...!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
i just strap cut up inner tubes to the downtube and other parts that get dirty like seat post to bb...cost is basically zero and nothing sticking out

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
derby said:
The commercial downtube shrouds by T.H.E. and others do keep your downtube cleaner in mud and protect it from rock strikes. Not much more.

For mud and rain, wider home made works much better, like mine pictured, but do catch wind. I'm using a smaller CRUD brand downtube fender now with a similar as pictured custom lower driveline protection extension.

CRUD makes the best rear and down tube fenders currently. T.H.E. Makes the best front fender, but too short for faster speeds in wet conditions to protect from spray forward and up into the eyes.

Here's a 2 year old picture of my bike. These fenders protect the driveline, shock, and me from mud very well.
He is not alone, if you ride lots the downtube protector will keep your driveline cleaner too and make it last longer also keeps those pivots/shocks clean. Indeed its fugly and functional:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't do it!

I had a crud catcher and a mate had a shroud both were crap.

I live in the u.k. it gets muddy as hell and i wear glasses - the only thing that works is a front mud guard.

If you are worried about the downtube getting damaged get some helicopter tape.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
He is not alone, if you ride lots the downtube protector will keep your driveline cleaner too and make it last longer also keeps those pivots/shocks clean. Indeed its fugly and functional:thumbsup:
Hey B_T, check out the latest evolution of the "fugly". I edited my post above to include the current set up with CRUD fenders. I estimate your invention has saved me at least one full drivetrain life in the last 4 or 5 years. At lease chain suck from mud build up has been eliminated.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
fraid of heights
2,282 Posts
the bottom bracket, shock mount, crank bolt, suspension pivots and drive train on that lower KHS pic up there with the elaborate "protection" looks like it's just as dirty and grime filled as any other bike...??? Maybe it doesn't work as well in dry dusty climates?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
pewpewpew said:
what is the name of a fender thing that goes in between the rear wheel and the seat tube? like on derby's bike.
On sportbike motorcycles they are called a hugger.

BTW, each mountain bike would need a custom hugger design. There's no standard to fit that between different swingarm types and clearances. Some would have to attach to the seat tube.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.