Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think about this, and it sounds like a really expensive solution that might not work, but...

For those with Fork Crown - DT clearance issues, what if you took a Chris King Steel Headset and put a spacer between the bottom cup and the headtube? The steelset presses into the frame an inch deep, so there is plenty of room for a spacer and you would still have an ample amount of contact between the cup and the head tube.

Finding a washer the right size could be a challenge, and then what material would you want that washer to be made of? Steel, Aluminum?

Cheaper option might be to bet the orbit xtreme pro. it has a lower stack height = 16.5. King's is 13.7. That's only if 2.8mm is all you need.

I should be getting my WB 1.0 today or tomorrow, so I preparing myself for the possibilty of a clearance issue. My buddy just mounted his SID on his new 26" frame and the lockout is hitting his DT, so this is a hot topic around here.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
I don't think it is bad at all

nzumbi said:
I'll pay more attention. My bad.
Thanks for sharing your idea. I agree, it has a lot of potential, I wonder if King would sell just the lower cup, without bearing or anything else, just to keep the price down for us.

I think this is a good idea and it is worth a brainstorming session, then we might have some more useful information to bombard CK with.

I hope no-one would ever be discouraged from posting an idea for fear that someome might have mentioned it before. What if the Wright brothers or Alexander Graham Bell, (or, God forbid, one of the pioneer 29er builders) gave up on their ideas just because they were worried that they mightn't have been the first?

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
TheSingleGuy said:
I hope no-one would ever be discouraged from posting an idea for fear that someome might have mentioned it before.
Wasn't my intention to discourage, sorry! I just pointed it out to him because there were good ideas in that previous post as well.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
's cool bro

Drevil said:
Wasn't my intention to discourage, sorry! I just pointed it out to him because there were good ideas in that previous post as well.
and I wasn't trying to dig a barb into you. Just to keep a dude motivated. You've been a help in some of my posts, and I'd be way outta line if I tried to tear you a new one.

Let's all go for a ride!

btw, I have some pretty cool news coming soon, but I won't hijack this thread, and need daylight to take some decent pics...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts