Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As bikes get lighter and lighter the price gets higher and higher. I was wondering if it could make having the best equipment less obtainable for racers. Sure it would be available, but would a racer be able to afford it. At the sport and beginner levels this may not affect the results of a race as much. At the expert and pro levels it could make a difference. A poor expert racer may not be able to afford the high quality hardware. What do you think? It's Saturday night and I'm bored!

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Thing are no different then they have been for year.

Plus, really the bike doesn't make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just been into cycling 4 years and I just notice the prices of cycling stuff more as of late. I have mortgage now. True the rider makes the difference, that's what a buddy of mine stated. I was on a motocross message board and the same topic was being discussed. MX bikes going to 4 stokes (costlier repairs) and now fuel injection on a couple brands.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I've been mountain biking since the mid 80's.
Bikes have actually gotten cheaper for what you get.
In 1986, $5k would get you a rigid bike that weighed about 29 lbs, had brakes that didn't brake (but sometimes they did break), 6 speed non index shifting.
For half that today, you get lighter with at least front suspension and disc brakes and great shifting.
But...a bike is only good if you ride it.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Do you think now that full suspension bikes are getting to be well below 20lbs. that USA Cycling or the UCI would consider weight limits on xc bikes? Or would the hue and cry about stifling industry innovation kill such a move?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
GrantB said:
Do you think now that full suspension bikes are getting to be well below 20lbs. that USA Cycling or the UCI would consider weight limits on xc bikes? Or would the hue and cry about stifling industry innovation kill such a move?
We've already got one: it's 6.8kg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.