Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide which to bring for the DH race. I have my ASX with 2.35 minions and can pedal it fairly well....or my Heckler, with 2.35 trailbear tires...and can pedal great, but decending is not quite as fast as the ASX. Will I get killed going up and lose all the time I have made from the DH parts?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
kawboy8 said:
I am trying to decide which to bring for the DH race. I have my ASX with 2.35 minions and can pedal it fairly well....or my Heckler, with 2.35 trailbear tires...and can pedal great, but decending is not quite as fast as the ASX. Will I get killed going up and lose all the time I have made from the DH parts?
couple of questions: what fork do you have on the ASX? What fork on the Heckler? Do you have a chainguide on either or both bikes? using Stan's?

I have 2 bikes I could run D-ville on:

VP Free w/05 Super T, 2.5 Minion DH tires, E-13 DRS
RFX w/05 Z1, 2.4 Pannyracer single-ply FR tires, LRP

I chose the RFX - 6x6 is the perfect amount of travel for D-ville, it's not a very technical trail and the bigger travel on the Free just isn't needed - the RFX is 34lbs, the Free about 39 - that 5lbs less is going to feel great on the climbs, the Z1 is a single crown, making tight turns easier plus the ECC is nice for the bigger climb (locking down for a lower head angle)

all that said, think about a couple of things, you should run Stan's - flatting during a race is lame (and less rolling weight) and you should have a chainguide (losing a chain a bunch of times is almost as bad as flatting)

I would say the Heckler, with some kind of chainguide and Stan's would be your best bet....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.