Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Sunrise trail thrown in the mix, good luck recovering or passing anyone after hitting the top! On the bright side, more single track and sooner! :thumbsup:

But, on the not-so-bright side, once you get down to the bottom of Sunrise, you have to climb more now than in the past. :madmax:

Two weeks ago I did two shuttle runs down Pauley Creek and we took this route on one of them. Ouch Ouch. Add more elevation, folks! :madman:

Here's the new course:

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting that. I overlayed it on a pre-ride of the course from last year and it looks like Sunrise is the only change. (There's an anomaly where FS-93 is just drawn differently on the map, I think. Or maybe I've pre-ridden it wrong twice and taken a parallel road?)

Morgan

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
I was hoping they would add big boulder; sunrise will work though

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zx6roxy said:
Didn't know the 2 courses followed the same route after Butcher Ranch.....very cool
Yup, they meet shortly after the "waterfall" section of Butcher Ranch.

I normally get sketched out right here where this pic was taken. I've yet to ride it. There is a nasty drop you can't see left of where the picture ends. Goes down steep for about, oh, 300 feet maybe? I've peered over the side a couple times and it almost feels like its pulling you ...

This section used to spook me but I finally rode it this year.

Pics thanks to Steve (arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/)

·
Registered
913 Posts
NoBalance said:
Yup, they meet shortly after the "waterfall" section of Butcher Ranch.

I normally get sketched out right here where this pic was taken. I've yet to ride it. There is a nasty drop you can't see left of where the picture ends. Goes down steep for about, oh, 300 feet maybe? I've peered over the side a couple times and it almost feels like its pulling you ...

This section used to spook me but I finally rode it this year.

Pics thanks to Steve (arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/)
That second one almost looks like the start of 1st divide, but I'm not sure. Where were those pics taken?

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MrCrash said:
That second one almost looks like the start of 1st divide, but I'm not sure. Where were those pics taken?
The first one is somehwere on Butcher Ranch before it hits those switchbacks and the bridge. The second one is just after you get back on the single-track, on 1st divide. Its the final half of 1st divide, after it crosses the fireroad and there's a couple berms up on the right side.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
NoBalance said:
NoBalance, I don't want to sound pedantic but this course is definitely an example of the axiom "Don't look where you don't want to go." That doesn't mean "Be careless." or "Be care-free." but rather "Focus on the good line and the trail." Your bike will follow your eyes, and your nerves will get in the way.

Downieville is truly about flow. I am no guru, and my past results in the race show I'm as lame as anyone. But I have had success on the lower tech sections and I attribute it to the axiom I quoted above, "Don't look where you don't want to go."

Good luck!

Morgan

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanks to all for the info.
cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.