Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so torn (no pun intended here) on this one and i need to make a decision soon cause i want to feel comfortable on whatever tire i ride. i'm pretty settled on the rear tire - specialized captain 2.1 (its a large 2.1). But for the front my options are Racing Ralph 2.4, Nevegal 2.2, Rampage 2.35, and Specialized Resolution 2.3. I really want to run the RR's but i'm worried about durability, but they are so light and grippy. The nevegal would be perfect, if it were like 150 grams lighter. what are you guys gonna run?

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
Im running a GEAX Saguaro on the front. Did a preride on it on Saturday, it held fine. No cuts or tears. You need to worry more about pinch flats and traction on that course than ripping a sidewall or getting a massive cut.
Even the baby head section is mostly rounded cobbles, no jagged edges.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was thinking the same thing

I rode up there two weeks ago with the Saguros front and rear and while they did fine i wanted a little more grip so I mounted up my ignitors for this weekends pre ride. I think that they will do fine and provide a little more braking and cornering grip than the Saguro. I also have a weirwolf 2.55 Lt on my SS that i could run up front, but i think the ignitor will be more than enough. I also have a crossmark that i could run on the rear, but i have never mounted it and dont want to mix things up too much.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
fritzaholic said:
Im running a GEAX Saguaro on the front. Did a preride on it on Saturday, it held fine. No cuts or tears. You need to worry more about pinch flats and traction on that course than ripping a sidewall or getting a massive cut.
Even the baby head section is mostly rounded cobbles, no jagged edges.
I beg to differ on that one dude. My buddy and I were riding there this past Sunday and he got a huge tire slice...and this was on the fireroad just at the beginning of Butcher. Something sliced his tyre like a hot knife thru hot butter! 7 flats for him in two runs...:madman:

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
I would run either the Reso front - I ran that combination on my 29er a few weeks ago up there and it worked really well.

Captain rear is a dialed choice, I am convinced there isn't a much better all-conditions rear tire for a 29er...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Bontrager XDX ARC

I think this is my best bet to be very competitive at the cross country race. My two weigh less than 700 grams, roll pretty fast, have decent volume and have a thicker sidewall than most with the Abrasion Resistant Casing (ARC). These at 32 PSI on Flow rims should be a safe bet even for high speed at Downieville.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Careful with the Racing Ralphs they can be fragile.

I know jms had some side wall cuts with the Ralphs and DNF @ a CCCX race early this year and is no longer using them.

I did weigh a 29er Racing Ralph 2.4 @ 640g and a Specialized Resolution 2.3. at 720g, The Resolution do seem narrow for a 2.3

You might also look at a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 but I'm not sure of the weight. (Maxxis claims 705g)

Pic 1 Maxxis Ignitor 29er 2.1 @ 30 psi

Pic 2 Specialized Resolution 29er 2.3 @ 30psi

Attachments

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've had the resolution on for the last few months and i honestly don't like the way it handles in turns. it washes out too early. the side knobs just seem to fold. it has held up well though. downieville is just a tough course to pick tires for. you want something light climbing and on the fire roads, and much of the course is granite, which isn't usually what causes sidewall tears, but a few sections with shale can cut through just about any tire if you hit one of those razor sharp rocks just right (or wrong as the case may be). i figure i will be taking a chance with the racing ralphs, but if i don't get a flat, it will pay off. of course, if i do, i'll be pissed. guess that's racing. at least i'm no longer debating my gearing....

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
Internal14 said:
I beg to differ on that one dude. My buddy and I were riding there this past Sunday and he got a huge tire slice...and this was on the fireroad just at the beginning of Butcher. Something sliced his tyre like a hot knife thru hot butter! 7 flats for him in two runs...:madman:
Bummer.

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
downieville don't like them 29er tires...

living in downieville about five years ago is what made me hang up the 29er. at the time there were NO tires that could swing regular duty up there without getting cut to ribbons. that was a few years ago though, when choices were limited to mutanos, IRC mythos, and the very first of the maxxis ignitors.

none of them lasted too long. but the same could be said of any lightweight (as in, sub 600 gram) 26" tires. for duty at one single race, you can chance it, but the sidewall shredding potential up there is huge.

for sure, pinch flats are an issue too. but the bottom of third, and the entire length of first, are custom made for ripping open your tires (and your wallets...). i'm a bit out of the loop on 29er tire tech today, but i'd aim for something that is still kinda light but with some sort of sidewall reinforcement, however rudimentary it may be...

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
Dirt_Diggler said:
i've had the resolution on for the last few months and i honestly don't like the way it handles in turns. it washes out too early. the side knobs just seem to fold. it has held up well though. downieville is just a tough course to pick tires for. you want something light climbing and on the fire roads, and much of the course is granite, which isn't usually what causes sidewall tears, but a few sections with shale can cut through just about any tire if you hit one of those razor sharp rocks just right (or wrong as the case may be). i figure i will be taking a chance with the racing ralphs, but if i don't get a flat, it will pay off. of course, if i do, i'll be pissed. guess that's racing. at least i'm no longer debating my gearing....
Funny you should mention that - I was getting chased down Big Boulder and tucked the front with a Reso up there, but that was because I was pushing hard and forgot to keep my belly button above the bottom bracket...

The Reso is a bit loose up front, but it's better than the RR for sure. I've found that the Specialized tires like a little more air pressure to keep the pins from folding, the Captain works well 38-40 and the Reso really seems to like 35 up front...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rampage

First time there, had Mythos XC. Suffered a couple of pinch flats, and wouldn't ride those up there again (and don't use them much anymore anyway).
Second time, Rampages front and back. Much better, no flats, great control. Fast enough on the xc portions (Boulder) and great for the downhill. Bomb the babyheads! Ah, I hope I can make it this year! Hardtail riding if that matters...

·
Registered
9 Posts
WeirWolf LT

Mark Weir and Jason Moeschler will not race anything but the WeirWolf LT tires in Downieville. Between the two of them, they have something like seven Downieville Classic victories on the LTs. Granted, they are racing 26" wheels, but the WWLTs are available in 29". Racing on 780-gram tires may seem like overkill, but in my opinion that extra weight is worth it in anti-flat insurance.

Whatever brand you go with, keep in mind that Downieville requires bigger volume and a thicker casing than and other race course out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.