Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Haha damn, cool to see the contrast from the warmth down here. I'm stoked to ride Dville for first time this yr; just upgrade the tires & figure I'm g2g. Anyone want to head up from San Jose just PM me

BTW it looks like some patchy snow on Butcher Ranch but it's open & so are the Divides. Pauley Creek not clear yet.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
took us four hours to get down today. ankle to knee high snow in spots. I'd hold off a few weeks unless you like wet feet and bypassing sunrise and hiking alot of butcher.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Glad I stayed home this weekend...

Some friends went up, I passed, heard there was mucho snow. Thanks for the verification photos!

·
more skier than biker
2,389 Posts
I went up today and encountered very little snow...but i did things a bit differently. Starting from town climbed up Lavezolla Road to 2nd. Then rode up 2nd to the 3rd Divide bridge. Then continued up lower Butcher to the upper Butcher and Pauley Creek split. Then took Pauley Creek and rode that all the way up to the Pauley Creek crossing that is just at the end of the baby head sections. Up to to this point there were only a few snow drifts left on the trail that were easy to ride through. There were also some downed trees on the trail that we cleared.

Pauley Creek is pretty deep, pretty wide and plenty cold right now so we didnt feel like crossing. But the immediate other side looked snow free.

After that we bombed down Pauley back to Butcher am climbed up Butcher to the waterfall area (which is living up to its name right now). After talking to some shuttlers that the snow is jusy above waterfall we turned around and bombed Butcher, 3rd, 1st to town.

So from my perspective there is very little snow :) and all of these lower trails are in awesome shape. Yuba was shuttling to Packer and telling people that there is some mandatory snow hiking but they still seemed fairly busy...which is good.

if i saw any of you up there today i was the guy in the black Mad Cat Cyclocross jersey on the white Ventana single speed.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Tyrone Shoelaces said:
if i saw any of you up there today i was the guy in the black Mad Cat Cyclocross jersey on the white Ventana single speed.
You going to gathering Ron?

And when you gonna get another jersey?? you always seem to be in same one :)

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Tyrone Shoelaces said:
... i was the guy in the black Mad Cat Cyclocross jersey on the white Ventana single speed.
Were you riding North Yuba with your girlfriend 6/6? I think we met you in Goodyears Bar.

I was one of those guys, waiting for the guy with the broken chain.

Morgan

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Tyrone Shoelaces said:
I went up today and encountered very little snow...but i did things a bit differently. Starting from town climbed up Lavezolla Road to 2nd. Then rode up 2nd to the 3rd Divide bridge. Then continued up lower Butcher to the upper Butcher and Pauley Creek split. Then took Pauley Creek and rode that all the way up to the Pauley Creek crossing that is just at the end of the baby head sections. Up to to this point there were only a few snow drifts left on the trail that were easy to ride through. There were also some downed trees on the trail that we cleared.

Pauley Creek is pretty deep, pretty wide and plenty cold right now so we didnt feel like crossing. But the immediate other side looked snow free.

After that we bombed down Pauley back to Butcher am climbed up Butcher to the waterfall area (which is living up to its name right now). After talking to some shuttlers that the snow is jusy above waterfall we turned around and bombed Butcher, 3rd, 1st to town.

So from my perspective there is very little snow :) and all of these lower trails are in awesome shape. Yuba was shuttling to Packer and telling people that there is some mandatory snow hiking but they still seemed fairly busy...which is good.

You rode from town to Pauley Creek? On a single speed? That's pretty good.

·
more skier than biker
2,389 Posts
Morgan - yeah man that was us on 6/6 on North Yuba! how long did it take for your friends to catch back up?

Sanjuro - thanks man. Definitely had to walk some stuff but it wasnt as hard as I thought it would be. Ive suffered more on the Trail of Tears.

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
Gearing?

Tyrone Shoelaces said:
Morgan - yeah man that was us on 6/6 on North Yuba! how long did it take for your friends to catch back up?

Sanjuro - thanks man. Definitely had to walk some stuff but it wasnt as hard as I thought it would be. Ive suffered more on the Trail of Tears.
Tyrone are you on a 26 or 29? :confused:

Thx in advance.

·
Devil Mtn
685 Posts
Not sure what all the fuss was with the snow. I did two runs of the DH yesterday ... about 45 min of hiking each run ... total time was about 2.5 hours for our group of 4 for the first run including breaks at a leisurely pace.

Snow is melting fast ... should be sweet next weekend, but I'd be shocked if there is no hiking and seriously doubt that Sunrise will be open. The trail conditions changed a lot from morning to afternoon ... much more water on the trail in the afternoon and more of the snow was rideable. Some folks mentioned they got a super early run in at like 7am and the snow was also rideable at that time because it was frozen.

22 degrees at Pack Saddle campground on Friday night--pack warm!

edit: Below the snow, i.e., from 1/3 mile or so above the waterfall on down, the trail conditions are sweet. Much, much drier than expected also below the snow.

·
more skier than biker
2,389 Posts
oh and here is what the Pauley Creek crossing is looking like right now.

this picture doesn't exactly do it justice as it doesn't look all that wide....but I can certainly say that it IS wider than in recent previous years, and the far side opposite from where I'm standing looks pretty deep. So just a head's up to all racers...you will take a nice plunge at the beginning when you come barreling into it, but it will get shallower after the first 10 feet or so.

And that is NOT snow on the other side (well there is one drift in the trees, but the trail on the other side is snow free). It just looks there is as the light washed out the rocks on the far side from my buddies camera phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
reklar said:
Not sure what all the fuss was with the snow. I did two runs of the DH yesterday ... about 45 min of hiking each run ... total time was about 2.5 hours for our group of 4 for the first run including breaks at a leisurely pace.

Snow is melting fast ... should be sweet next weekend, but I'd be shocked if there is no hiking and seriously doubt that Sunrise will be open. The trail conditions changed a lot from morning to afternoon ... much more water on the trail in the afternoon and more of the snow was rideable. Some folks mentioned they got a super early run in at like 7am and the snow was also rideable at that time because it was frozen.

22 degrees at Pack Saddle campground on Friday night--pack warm!

edit: Below the snow, i.e., from 1/3 mile or so above the waterfall on down, the trail conditions are sweet. Much, much drier than expected also below the snow.
Well, considering that a complete run of the DH course usually takes about 50 minutes, I would say hiking in snow for 45 minutes/run pretty much sucks.

Hopefully Yuba gets the dirt bikes out on Sunrise to clear a line in time for the Classic!

·
Devil Mtn
685 Posts
ARider said:
Well, considering that a complete run of the DH course usually takes about 50 minutes, I would say hiking in snow for 45 minutes/run pretty much sucks.

Hopefully Yuba gets the dirt bikes out on Sunrise to clear a line in time for the Classic!
Compared to the reports of 2-4 hours of hiking, 45 minutes isn't bad though ... if you can't stand the thought of wet feet or a little snow hike, don't go right now. Pretty simple.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts