Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the way lack of snow it seems to me that riding up the divides out of D'ville might be possible... Of course the old freeze/thaw/freeze thing might make for some really wicked icy sections.

How are the trails downstream looking?

If this drought keeps up at least we will be riding in the high country sooner than anyone can remember.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Bullards should be good...

A friend was up there around X-mas and she said it was sweet. A little crunchy in spots but plenty fun!

Yeah, ski season is hurting this year. Normally I'd be bumming but I've been in much more of a riding state of mind this winter...

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
*Bing!-Lightbulb!!*

Hey, if anyone does get out there, please be sure to get some shots of the new Sunrise Trail, and post 'em here or give a link!!

The work should be done by now, and Yuba's link is down. I heard the trail sign's up!! :thumbsup:

From what I know it's a really nice vista cut that the name implies. :thumbsup:

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
im only like 2 hrs away ... if i can get others to go with me we will try and go ride it soon

so many rides too few weekends lol

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Divides should be okay, but Sunrise would be under snow and ice. The Yuba link isn't down but the trail info isn't kept up this time of year as the shop's closed for the winter. I've got some photos of Sunrise somewheres, if I find them I'll post them; it's a great trail and beats hell out of the road down to the Butcher trailhead. North Yuba trail is great now and often rideable in the winter, as is Bullards Bar.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to Greg of D'ville outfiters this AM. The Divides are rideable. He was not sure about Butcher, but since it is so north facing it may not be passible. I may make an attempt soon.

·
3,533 Posts
oh damn i thought we were gonna shuttle it

im in pretty good shape, but last time i did a serious xc ride up there i came close to dying .... went on mt elwell trail with a guy who is a singlespeed racer, and he took a wrong turn which made us climb an extra 1000 feet, and by the time we got out to the highway at graeagle lodge to ride back on gold lake highway, i was just not doing very well at all ... my dad had to come get me. so i dunno about xc'in it up there

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No shame in lagging at the end of the ride you describe. Not many riders it would not whip.

The shuttle route thru Gold Lakes is closed for the winter. But unless we get some serious snow, open in March or April this year could well be possible.

I got 22 Tahoe rides in last year, and only 4 in D'ville. I usually average 10 D'ville rides a year. But at least none of the 4 were shuttled. I was hoping to crank an early start to my D'ville tally this year by hitting it soon.

So it looks like I'll be heading up Sunday & Monday even with the weather report saying 30% chance of rain/snow.

·
3,533 Posts
i know the shuttle route is closed ..... but if packer lake lodge is open and theres not a lot of snow its a good chance that the road is plowed up to there and then we would only have to hike thru the snow 2 miles to the ridge then smash down thru the snow itll be fun

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked Packer Lake Lodge. Only open June thru Oct.

Do you know about Forest Service Rd 93 out of Union Flat? Union Flat is 5 miles up Hwy 49 from D'ville. Rd 93 heads up to Packer Saddle. It is also the road you first start down on from where the shuttle drops you off. But instead of that last boring paved section up to Packer Saddle you hang a left on 93-3 and that is the road you hang a right on when coming down from PS. 93-3 takes you to the top of Butcher and then on about 4 miles to the start of the babys head section leading to Pauley Ck. Tr.

This would involve a bit over 2hrs of climbing from a vehicle parked at Union Flat. But trying any of this is crazy talk w/o talking to a local with first hand info about actual current conditions.

The smart money is just riding up the divides from D'ville and seeing what it is like. Easy simple known retreat if things get nasty. We are talking January in the Sierras here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
dville trails

I live a 1/2hr from Dville I guess I'm a local :thumbsup:

Forget about 93-3 rd:) To much road:rolleyes:I'm just a single track single track madman:madman:

This is what I do as much as I can in the winter

Park your car in town,grab a bite to eat then peddle up the First,Second Divides.
Then rip down the third divide:thumbsup: back into town the ride is about 20 miles.
Most of the way up is in the sun it is around 65 degrees in the sun.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
That's a fun ride. I've done it as an out and back (1st and 2nd divides) since I would rather come back down on 2nd divide and avoid more fireroads descents. Why ride up the fireroad to Packer Saddle when the singletrack is soo much better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.