Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about doing the XC race this year, but I am not sure that I have the right tire setup. Currently I am sporting a Kenda Karma 2.0 up front and a Schwalbe racing ralph in the rear. I like the Ralph a great deal but I am not sure either tire will be good for the rough trail. I have never ridden the trail but plant to try to do so before the race. Any suggestions? Since it is a race with a ton of climbing in the begining, I would like something on the lighter side.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Schwalbe Albert 2.25.
A RR 2.25 would be OK on the rear.

Volume and knobs are nice at D'ville. You will lose much more time to a flat or big crash on the DH than you would to slightly heavier tires on the climb.

·
MTBR member-at-large
132 Posts
Hey Shiggy,

I too am thinking about doing the Downieville XC race this year. I was thinking about WTB Mutano Raptor 2.24 folding tire for both the front and rear. I currently run IRC Mythos 2.1's frnt and rr on my dually (which I'll probably race at Downieville vs. my hardtail). I really like the predictability of the IRC's plus I can always find them cheap when I need a replacement set. I most concerned with the DH section of the Downieville course, and I don't think the IRC Mythos are going to be enough tire for it. I've never been to Downieville so I'm clueless to what the conditions are like. I live/ride in Santa Barbara, CA where the trail conditions range from rough hardpack, loose fireroads, sandy sections, and lots of babyheads and loose rock. Is it comparable to Downieville? I would like a tire and I can also use on home turf. Whatcha think?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ThornPatch said:
Hey Shiggy,

I too am thinking about doing the Downieville XC race this year. I was thinking about WTB Mutano Raptor 2.24 folding tire for both the front and rear. I currently run IRC Mythos 2.1's frnt and rr on my dually (which I'll probably race at Downieville vs. my hardtail). I really like the predictability of the IRC's plus I can always find them cheap when I need a replacement set. I most concerned with the DH section of the Downieville course, and I don't think the IRC Mythos are going to be enough tire for it. I've never been to Downieville so I'm clueless to what the conditions are like. I live/ride in Santa Barbara, CA where the trail conditions range from rough hardpack, loose fireroads, sandy sections, and lots of babyheads and loose rock. Is it comparable to Downieville? I would like a tire and I can also use on home turf. Whatcha think?
I have not been to Santa Barbara! :)

Add some sharp rocks and a few roots and the description is about the same.
If you are doing OK with Mythos at home they would be OK at D'ville.
Still high on the Alberts.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Heed the ShigMaster on this point:

"You will lose much more time to a flat or big crash on the DH than you would to slightly heavier tires on the climb."

A buddy I ride with was running 3rd in the XC D'ville race and flatted twice on the way down.

Can you imagine, top 3 after that killer climb only to loose it to a flat?

I don't know what tire he was running as this was a few years ago, but I'm sure it was no weight weenie tire.

Mr. P

·
Premium Member
7,726 Posts
My two cents. I rode Downieville a couple of years ago on Pythons and found them to work well with no flatting. I agree with Shiggy that a high volume reasonably tough tire is the way to go. Personally, I would run Schawlbe Racing Ralph 2.25s or Mutano Raptor 2.4s.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
CDMC said:
My two cents. I rode Downieville a couple of years ago on Pythons and found them to work well with no flatting. I agree with Shiggy that a high volume reasonably tough tire is the way to go. Personally, I would run Schawlbe Racing Ralph 2.25s or Mutano Raptor 2.4s.
Better yet, Racing Ralph 2.4.

If you have read the current BIKE mag's tire article you have seen the glowing review of the Fat Albert. Much of the testing was done around D'ville.

·
Premium Member
7,726 Posts
shiggy said:
Better yet, Racing Ralph 2.4.
I'm behind the times, I didn't know they had the RR in a 2.4. As should be said in any tire thread where Shiggy has voiced his opinion "yea, what he said." :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.