Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ICPAYDIRT
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on riding in the 35-39 sport class at the Downieville Classic. Not sure about hydration strategy but my current plan is to ride with a 50 oz camelbak filled with water/minerals on my back and a bottle with electrolytes on the bike. I'm hearing temps will be touching the low 90's so I don't think that is unreasonable but it sure seems like it will be a load for the long climb up. Not sure if I can stash something towards the top or try to get a refill at one of the feed stations. I'm suspicious that 75 oz will not be enough for the whole ride but I just don't know. I am new to this race and I have no idea where to find water and how much will be available, perhaps some of the veteran racers out there have some ideas?

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
i did the race with 3 bottles (60 ounces). i had two with me, then had someone give me a handoff at packer saddle. that was enough for me and that weekend it was record heat in 2006. the second part of the course you have little chance to drink anyway. plus keeping your back free of a pack means much less sweat and heat during the race.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm planning to ride with a 100oz camelback, and maybe a 16 oz bottle with electrolytes in it. Are there feed stations on course?

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Yes, there are feed stations. One is during the climb, at about 4.5 miles in ... and I know there is one at the end of 3rd divide. I dont recall if there were any others.

I did the XC pre-ride yesterday and made some major mistakes in regards to food and hydration. Got a mean sunburn but the temps were actually pretty cool if you're not riding uphill on the exposed fireroad climb.

Having to do Sunrise after sumitting is a real pain since you dont really have time to recover. The trail is also very beat up since everyone is pre-riding it this year. Its going to be very dusty and loose, and very crowded with nowhere to pass. I am not in favor of this change at all.

·
Devil Mtn
685 Posts
NoBalance said:
Yes, there are feed stations. One is during the climb, at about 4.5 miles in ... and I know there is one at the end of 3rd divide. I dont recall if there were any others.

Having to do Sunrise after sumitting is a real pain since you dont really have time to recover. The trail is also very beat up since everyone is pre-riding it this year. Its going to be very dusty and loose, and very crowded with nowhere to pass. I am not in favor of this change at all.
Not sure about D-Ville but I was counting on there being an aid station at another race earlier this year and they were out of water when I got there!! That would be a disaster at Downieville I think so I wouldn't err on the conservative side with your water.

As far as Sunrise goes, there's plenty of time to pass near the summit and on the fireroad after Sunrise so I don't think that will be much of a problem. There are plenty of spots on that course where it is tough to pass (many parts of 1st and 3rd). It pays to be fast to the top!

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
NoBalance said:
Yea. It's hard. That's kinda the point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.