Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in a few days I'm heading out to Downieville for several days to do some riding, and I got a few questions:

1. What is the best shuttle? I'm saying right near the bike shop (Forget the name, has "Outfitters" in the name. I would really appreciate it if I could get as much info about the shuttle(s) as possible, a phone number would tremendously help me out! Cost info...wow I'd love even SMT if I found that out.

2. Body Armor: Is it necessary? I'm tempted to wear mine in case I do take a bad tumble, the necesities for me is Full Face, Goggles, Gloves and Shin Pads..the armor is in question, but I may wear it just to be safe.

3. Best Routes? I did the double D very long ago (2002 or 3...can't remember) and I remembere there being a few routes you can take down, which are best?

4. How many times can you do it in a day? Will we be tired after run number 1?

5. Places to eat? Check out? You tell me....

If anyones got some tips and tricks, I'd love it if you could help a brotha out...THANKS IN ADVANCE!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Broham, it's simple. You go there, and there are 2 places that offer shuttles. Both of them are rip offs. The best thing is to get a group of guys, drive yourself to the top, then at the bottom, pay for one person to shuttle back up and get the car.
Packer saddle is the trail to ride.
Body armour is not needed.
You can get 3 full runs in, if you are jamming, and in good shape.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zachdank said:
Broham, it's simple. You go there, and there are 2 places that offer shuttles. Both of them are rip offs. The best thing is to get a group of guys, drive yourself to the top, then at the bottom, pay for one person to shuttle back up and get the car.
Packer saddle is the trail to ride.
Body armour is not needed.
You can get 3 full runs in, if you are jamming, and in good shape.
Cool beans, thanks....but I may go for the body armor...

As for a manual shuttle...we don't gots a large enough bike rack..

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
dogonfr said:
I heard Mark Weir did 5 runs in 1 day, kinda a record.

I do 1 dun & im drinking beer to get energy for the next day :thumbsup:
Rode it with Marla back in 2004. We started at a little after dawn, and our last run we got back into town just after dark. I forgot how to count after the fourth so I don't know if we beat that. Not like I set out to that day anyway. Go to Downieville Outfitters because Henry O'Donnel works there. Help support a NORBA pro. They need it.

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
zachdank said:
I heard Mark Weir sleeps in spandex inside of a plastic bubble.
Five years ago that would have read: I heard Mark Weir sleeps on a sofa with a bubbler. Sorry Cave Man Zach just set that up soooooooooooo good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a few of the same questions a few weeks back, and just recently went to d-ville two weeks ago. Body armour is not necessary, I ended up wearing a sleeveless tee, dickies shorts, and my fullface. I guess you don't need the fullface unless you plan to bomb that sh*t, esp on third divide where its high speed single track. I'm not in the greatest condition, so i was burnt after two runs.

·
493 Posts
Light FF helmet with elbow and knee/shin protection is what I recommend. Both shuttles are kind of expensive for what they are, but if you don't have the capacity or will to shuttle youself and you don't feel like climbing for a few hours, you don't have any other choice. Two runs is realistic for most people, three runs if you are in shape, four is charging pretty hardcore. The shuttle people will give you trail directions.

First time there ride second and third divide. Big Boulder is fun, but it involves more climbing.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
dhtahoe said:
Rode it with Marla back in 2004. We started at a little after dawn, and our last run we got back into town just after dark. I forgot how to count after the fourth so I don't know if we beat that. Not like I set out to that day anyway. Go to Downieville Outfitters because Henry O'Donnel works there. Help support a NORBA pro. They need it.
She had a baby girl, looks like Mark :eekster:

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BikeMk said:
Light FF helmet with elbow and knee/shin protection is what I recommend. Both shuttles are kind of expensive for what they are, but if you don't have the capacity or will to shuttle youself and you don't feel like climbing for a few hours, you don't have any other choice. Two runs is realistic for most people, three runs if you are in shape, four is charging pretty hardcore. The shuttle people will give you trail directions.

First time there ride second and third divide. Big Boulder is fun, but it involves more climbing.
You reccomend elbow protection? Blah...the only kind I have is the full body armor suit.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
paintballeerXC said:
im headn the on the 22 and 23. be there with an 50 year old on a yeti a 3 14 years olds on a tomac 6 shooer, trek remby i think and Hopegful a king fisher
I leave the 20th...however...did you guys used to ride at Northstar? For some reason I remember this old guy on a Yeti ASX, and he was confused where to go at the bottom of top Karpiel, so I "lead" him down Pho Dogg, and trying to impress the guy I bit the dust....lol...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
we have riden n* but he was on a 575 and he got a flat . i was on a rental bike cuse i have more brain then som of my friends. one kid was on a old yellow and whit e fully fisher and other was on a oragne trek hard tail and getting killd by the rocks and his dad an BIG swidish gut on an old foes i think. what day s are u going to be rideing a downieville?
matt

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
Armour question..............

the trail isn't that hard at all.............here is my take

if you crash then you will get some scratches........so are you comfortable wearing armour?? if it doesn't bother you wear it......if you are not pushing your limits and just going a good speed then don't wear it

·
Registered
680 Posts
dogonfr said:
I heard Mark Weir did 5 runs in 1 day, kinda a record.

I do 1 dun & im drinking beer to get energy for the next day :thumbsup:
Wier does not hold the record, some french guy does at 8 runs. I don't even think wier takes the shuttle up exept for durring the race

As far as shuttles go if you do pay for the shuttle go with yuba, they are heavily involved with maintaining the trails, cutting new trails, dealing with land use, bla bla bla bla. Downieville outfitters does NOTHING they currently blocking 5 miles of new single track from opening because they wont sign a form saying they wont sue

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.