Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday (7/15) I joined GuruAtma and his friend John for some riding at Downieville. All three of us did Pauley Creek, 3rd and 1st Divides, and then GuruAtma and I went back up and came down Butcher Ranch, 3rd and 1st Divides. We had intended to do 2nd Divide on the second run but it was pretty warm and the heat took a toll on us by the time we got to that intersection. The trails were pretty dusty but a lot of fun. I had forgotten how technical Butcher Ranch is, but I still prefer the variety and length of Pauley Creek. I had two pretty good crashes, but my knee and elbow pads really saved the day both times. GuruAtma had quite a nice baseball type slide after missing an intersection. But he was decked out in full armor and got up unscathed. GuruAtma is getting too fast for me but I did my best to get some video footage. Hopefully some of it will be usable. Since I had the helmet cam I didn't take many photos. But GuruAtma spent three days there so perhaps he'll add some when he returns.

John unloading his bike

GuruAtma and John. I wonder why FF helmets seem more popular these days?

GuruAtma in Pauley Creek

John had some tire trouble

Pauley Creek

Obligatory Pauley Creek bridge shot

John on another bridge

Some scenery

GuruAtma on a gnarly section

My bike taking a rest

GuruAtma on Pauley Creek bridge (salvaging a poor photo)

·
Registered
768 Posts
I gotta get up there. I was riding in Weaverville a couple weekends ago, and damn, what a difference it is riding in actual mountains as opposed to the coastal range.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Cool pix steve. I can't wait to see the video. I still have to unpack my camera.

I'm happy to report that my Specalized Deviant helmet was very well ventilated and stayed cool even in 90+ temps.

My wife and son came with me to Downieville along with John and his family. The wives and kids had a great time hiking around Gold Lake and the Sand Pond while we biked, and we all met up for dinner. This is a great option for those of us with family obligations who want to spend a few days in D-ville

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
did you ride with a camera taped to your head?

Remember some guys sitting around at the entrance to 1st divide heckling people?

that was me.

Missed you again.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah, Wherewolf is the tape head. You were heckling? Good thing Wherewolf didn't hear you or he may have given you a stern look. :D

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep

kidwoo said:
did you ride with a camera taped to your head? Remember some guys sitting around at the entrance to 1st divide heckling people?
Yep, but I get it all the time so I don't pay attention. But I did have a strange thing happen in town. A guy who rents helmet cams saw me go by and he heckled me. I ignored him so he rushed up to the house front porch to try and convince me that his lipstick cam was better than the direct mount method. We were in a hurry to eat and catch the next shuttle so I briefly listed why he was wrong and stated the ultimate proof was in the video quality. He had a lot of yeah buts, got pretty upset, and walked away cursing at me :p

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Wherewolf said:
So did you do Big Boulder and 2nd Divide today? You may be disappointed with the video. I've wrestled with it all day trying to do something different. But no Partridge Family.
In an effort to gain lots of husband and father points, I hung out with the family Sunday morning instead of going for a ride. This has resulted in my wife pledging to rent a cabin near Gold Lake (near Packer Saddle) for a week while I ride and she hikes (of course we'll do some hikes together as well). :thumbsup:

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Yep, but I get it all the time so I don't pay attention. But I did have a strange thing happen in town. A guy who rents helmet cams saw me go by and he heckled me. I ignored him so he rushed up to the house front porch to try and convince me that his lipstick cam was better than the direct mount method. We were in a hurry to eat and catch the next shuttle so I briefly listed why he was wrong and stated the ultimate proof was in the video quality. He had a lot of yeah buts, got pretty upset, and walked away cursing at me :p
What a moron. Good to know he understands the technology he's renting. I was about 4 beers deep when you passed by us, you should have summoned my powers for good. I got your back yo.

It may look goofy there is absolutely no better way to get the best image than just taking the whole beast with you, decent optics and all. A quick proctol exam with each would have made your case upon review.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
How dare you!!!

How dare you have such a fun time and make me so envious! :mad:

I'll have to get up there some time and do it myself, just to get even with you guys. It's tough to take off 1.5 days from home, but I'll just have to make it happen.

Also, my Heckler's been in the shop after a nasty endo in Santa Cruz. I forgot to put down the seat on a super steep downhill. Rotors, derailleurs, and bike computer ripped up. The fork had to go back to Marzocchi. While riding my backup Fuel, I'm now convinced it needs to be sold. It's nothing like the Heckler.

I was about to ask what full face helmet Guru was wearing, until I ran across this post. Glad to see it worked for him. Mine has some scratches from the tree branches at Demo, but needs some good dings.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
BigLarry said:
How dare you have such a fun time and make me so envious! :mad:

I'll have to get up there some time and do it myself, just to get even with you guys. It's tough to take off 1.5 days from home, but I'll just have to make it happen.
Bring your family along! There's plenty do do around there for non-bikers. There are cabins up near the lakes,(near the trail head) and one particular lake called Sand Pond is perfect for small kids to play in. There are short easy hikes that are good for kids. My wife brought our 8-month old son and he had a blast playing in snow while it was 90 degrees out.

Almost every weekend is some sort of festival in town. This past weekend saw a ton of classic cars/hot rods and motorcycles for a poker run. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
great pix and stories as always, sound like i missed a fun one. i'm going to do some digging for a weekend in august when i can get clear to get back to the sierra...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was in Downieville this weekend as well !!!

No good ride pics.. I was practicing for the race.... no time to stop for pics really.....

Had some time for THIS though....

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
good to see you training hard John, I will look for you up at the race, no riding for me just some volunteering!

Nice to see you rocking the FF Guru and of course great pics Steve!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Yesterday (7/15) I joined GuruAtma and his friend John for some riding at Downieville. All three of us did Pauley Creek, 3rd and 1st Divides
Steve,

These are great pics and great video as always. I really enjoyed riding with you and GuruAtma (Bill). Looking forward to next time.

Ride On!

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts