Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have galleries for the Downieville downhill and XC up and you can order prints directly from the gallery. There are about 150 in the XC gallery and 75 in the DH gallery. Unfortunately I stopped shooting the DH at about rider 120. I'm sorry if I missed you. I should not have stopped that early.

2007 Downieville XC Photos >>
2007 Downieville DH Photos >>

The photos are posted in the order that the riders passed me. Browse accordingly. And please let me know if you have any questions or problems. This is the first time I've set up a gallery like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Great shot's Photo John !

Great shot's Photo John ! You can almost smell the pain & suffering in those climbing shots !!!

Photo-John said:
I have galleries for the Downieville downhill and XC up and you can order prints directly from the gallery. There are about 150 in the XC gallery and 75 in the DH gallery. Unfortunately I stopped shooting the DH at about rider 120. I'm sorry if I missed you. I should not have stopped that early.

The photos are posted in the order that the riders passed me. Browse accordingly. And please let me know if you have any questions or problems. This is the first time I've set up a gallery like this.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Noobie photo question !

In the 2nd picture with the rider in focus and the background blurred - how do you do that? I have a Nikon D70S and limited skills !! Thanks !

Photo-John said:

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photo Technique

jhruth said:
In the 2nd picture with the rider in focus and the background blurred - how do you do that? I have a Nikon D70S and limited skills !! Thanks !
I assume you're talking about the second photo I posted here? That was taken with a slow shutter speed, flash, and panning. There was actually a flash on either side of the rider, fired with a radio slave. You can do more or less the same thing by using the pop-up flash on your D70 and panning as you take the picture. Experiment with it to see what works. Experimentation is key. If you're really interested in learning more, you should also start using my site, PhotographyREVIEW.com. There's a link to PhotographyREVIEW.com and all of our other sites at the bottom of every Mtbr page.

Sorry I didn't get a photo of you. I can't get everyone. Or if I did, the photos would be boring. I try to get some great ones of some of the racers - stuff that I can be proud of, instead of just stuff to make money from. Maybe next time :)

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
jhruth: You increase your chance of getting in the shots if you race XC as well. :)

The VERY LAST picture in the XC group (yellow shirt) is my friend Vince. I had already passed but he ended up beating me (4:07 versus 4:39) with a great downhill run.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Photo-John, Thanks for taking the photos!

I hope this is not too dumb a question: how does one order? I don't seem to find a way to make a purchase on the site. Also, when I click on "services & prices" link at the bottom, it only shows prices for prints and mugs, etc. Can one purchase the photos in their digital format?

·
feeling squirrelly
712 Posts
Your pics came out awesome! I remember you on the climb, you made me laugh. A guy had bobbled a bit in front of me and I came out, had to walk for a moment. I said something to you like, "great, right in front of the camera guy", you laughed and said something to the effect of "sorry gotta do it" and picture snapped. At least that's what I remember through the heart rate induced haze. At any rate you were a friendly face towards the end of that monster climb. Thanks!

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
badjenny, are you talking to me? You sure it was me??? I remember having conversations with various people on the ride, but don't remember any of those that you mentioned. Well, here is the picture that John took of me. When I saw John, I remember seeing him holding his camera on his side. I thought he probably had given up shooting since all the fast people had passed. But he did call out to me after I made the climb, "I like your kerchief (which was hanging off of the left strap of my tank top), and you scored too!" That made my day. :)

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
No, meant Photo John.
Oops sorry :p Still trying to figure out this "thread" thingy. I saw you first replied to my message, so I thought you were talking to me. Then I replied to John when I meant to reply to you. But it's all clear now. :)

Yeah, it must be fun to be a spectator on a race like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.