Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Brothers and Sisters,
The Mrs and I are loading up the family truckster to stock up on some full strength non Utah beer and to race Downieville.

Any recomendations on where to camp? Also tirewise do I want an XC type tire or something fatter?
Ride On,
The Rev

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
2.3's Tubeless or TR, or tubes at 45psi. A little bit of sidewall beef is nice.

I've run Chunder 2bliss 2.3's happily at 35psi in Dville and Tahoe no problems.

Looking to try 2.35 UST Nevegals this weekend, along with a SB8 UST 2.1 on the back.

Big volume tires work well for the Dville rockiness.

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
Rev, You have an awesome blog! Keep it up and live in the Big ring... always.
But bring the little ring for Dville. (or SS with the keepers of the faith)

Lotsa folks run big tires, with low pressure. The course has some loose spots, but I rode last weekend, full bore with some 2.1 nanoraptors one day, and GEAX Mezcal's the next. (2.2) both are dry conditions tires. Both ripped, but I'm gonna run an all conditions in the rear, just for the loose stuff on the climb. I did shred my nanoraptor in the rear by the end of a 40 mile loop.

There's good camping all over the Yuba river basin, get reservations now. (Rocky Rest, Indian Valley, Wild Plum are some of the best places)
have a safe drive out, see you at the finish with a pint of the good stuff.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Bring the meatiest tires you can get your hands on, for pleasure riding at Downieville. My Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35" UST tires loved me two weeks ago at Downieville, and I loved them back. I am thinking of racing the xc with the Nobby Nic UST 26 x 2.25" tires, but I have torn one before... Not sure.

I think the Indian Valley campground is nice, especially near the water. The swimming / bathing is good. This year I'm camped at Loganville for the race. Never camped there before, but it's near the start in Sierra City.

Morgan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.