Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here it is. Post all here.

We have a new Downieville Gathering Photo Gallery. Please post all photos there and link from this thread.
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php/cat/1096

Upload with this link:
http://gallery.mtbr.com/uploadphoto.php?cat=1096

This is the tube blowout contest featuring oregon vs. norcal vs. socal.
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-7669070790150121402&hl=en

Women's beer drinking finals.
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-2887242890158874617&hl=en

fc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Photoshop was NOT involved here!

I had a great time. Arrived home 20 minutes ago. Pics tomorrow night.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ryan - Nice riding with you guys even though it was only for Sunrise trail ! At least we got to hang in the Yuba Lounge and the van !! I got another race practice run in - trail was REALLY crowded at that point !!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
call me pauly creek

I'm changing my handle to…paulycreek. Friday I skippid Big Boulder trail because I knew I would be doing it on the big ride on Saturday. Saturday I just lamed out because I was already thinking of beer and food in Dville…Oh well…I'll ride it on Sunday. Nope! A series of mechanical failures caused me to bail out one last time. Pauly, 2nd and 3rd divide trails are my beyotch now...I own them! But, there is still the bitter taste in my mouth from missing out on BB at it's early season best. I drank enough beer to wash away the sorrow but now it is time to sober up.

What a great time it was! The saturday ride was a lot of fun....the intended and accidental re-routes actually inhanced the entire experience..imo. Each night it was fun to hang out with MTBR folk and see how much beer I could drink. MTBR night at the movies featuring Jack Ass II was pretty cool...those f%ckers are sick!

Thanx to K-Max and all the sponsors...Thanx to Andy for puttin on a show Saturday night, thanx to our tequila tot'n friend from Oregon, thanx to Richelle for handing me a beer after the Saturday ride.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
My Downieville Hell ride was the hardest thing I ever did, 75 miles around 14,000 feet of climbing. Lots of snow drifts made for lots of portages and route finding. Also broke my chain twice. Added 6 miles and around 1300 feet of vert to last years route, also added 2nd Divide instead of the 3rd which last years GPS track showed. Left at 6:45 AM starting on the Deer lake trail and got back to Camp after a 18 mile, 4100 vert climb to finish the ride at 9:30 PM in the dark. There was also up to 3 inch's of fresh snow in places from the day before. One VERY technical, snowy and rocky 13 mile section thru the gold lakes basin took almost 4 hours to ride. Thank you Richelle for providing me food and your seat next to the fire after my shattered soul returned to camp cold and completely beaten.

Conditions in Downieville could not have been better, a good recovery ride on Friday, followed by another epic with more lake basin fun with snow and route finding and a second time on Big Boulder rounded out the weekend. Left Sunday completely wiped out, but what a blast.

Big Thanks to Andy, Kyle and the Sponsors for everything!

Below pretty much sums up my 3 days in Downieville, if anyone has a GPS track of the Deer lake trail please PM me. I discovered the limits of my GPS which I guess once the max waypoints are hit deletes from the beginning of the ride.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Wow! What a weekend. To my knowledge, no one got hurt, no one got alcohol poisoning, no one got their bike destroyed... and everyone had a great time! :thumbsup:

I got to meet several new faces and see some old ones. It seems the event went wonderfully well. Thanks to everyone.

I have to throw in another thanks to all the sponsors...
MTBR, Niner, Shimano, Kicking Horse Coffee, NiteRider, Bike Oregon, Hoss, Wicked Racin, Bionicon, The Path Bike Shop, Evomo, Surly, Salsa, Azonics/O'Neil, Chumba,Yeti, Park Tools, Yuba Expeditions, 661, Formula and White Industries.

Now for the BEER guys...
Huge thanks to New Belgium, Sac Brewery, Tustin Brewery, SeaBright Brewery and Mammoth Brewery.

I would not have been able to get things organized (organized?) without the amazing help of K-Max. You are the bomb! Francis for letting us use MTBR as central organizing spot. And for the great assistance of 1x1Clyde. 1x1Clyde was instrumental in getting product to the raffle. Thanks guys!!!

The raffle, though a bit long, went off really good. Paul from Bionicon won the NiteRider light and handed it out to a young future Brian Lopes. Francis won the Niner Messenger bag and took out a few pieces of swag inside then donated it back for others to win. NorCal took the Niner frame. It seems he is not currently a member of MTBR but from the sounds of it, that will be changing in a day or so. Shimano donated four sets of pedal and shoe combos and it seems SoCal, NorCal, Oregon and NorCal each got the combo. The Path Bike Shop and Salsa both came up big with tons of products. Evomo brought so many shirts I think everyone got one?! I'm not really sure how we ended up with so many stickers, but geeso, everyone must have gotten tons of them. Thanks to everyone for not leaving them around the campsites.

We ended up polishing off all the beer except for a little out of the New Belgium's Mothership Wit keg. Again thanks to everyone for cleaning up the beer garden area.

Highlights of the event for me include getting to camp with my SoCal brothers and sisters, riding some of the most beautiful trails around, free beer and the amazing vibe of the whole event.

Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
We had a great time!! Thanks everyone. It was nice meeting a few new peeps. Thanks to Kmax and Andy for setting this up!

Wish we would've gotten a chance to ride more, but such is life. Next time up there I think we'll do it a bit differently.

Here's a bunch of photos -

·
Paper or plastic?
10,288 Posts
bigboulder said:
I'm changing my handle to…paulycreek. Friday I skippid Big Boulder trail because I knew I would be doing it on the big ride on Saturday. Saturday I just lamed out because I was already thinking of beer and food in Dville…Oh well…I'll ride it on Sunday. Nope! A series of mechanical failures caused me to bail out one last time. Pauly, 2nd and 3rd divide trails are my beyotch now...I own them! But, there is still the bitter taste in my mouth from missing out on BB at it's early season best. I drank enough beer to wash away the sorrow but now it is time to sober up.
BTW, I have to thank you. When you met the four of us after the creek crossing, we were really wondering whether we should ride Big Boulder or not. We followed your advice and climbed up it. You were totally right, that trail was amazing. :thumbsup:

On a separate subject, on Friday we saw Rob (don't know his handle) riding 3rd and 1st with his 11 yo son. I thought that this was awesome. That was after seeing BB and his kid (on a SS no less). I'm looking forward to when my kid will be old enough to ride Dville with me.

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
bigboulder said:
...Thanx to K-Max and all the sponsors...Thanx to Andy for puttin on a show Saturday night, thanx to our tequila tot'n friend from Oregon, thanx to Richelle for handing me a beer after the Saturday ride.
the te-kill-ya toting oregonian wouldnt be Meat Foot (Mike), would it?

damn. i really missed out on this trip.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
whoa, that is a great shot of me taking that turn allison! sweeeet

here's my RR for friday

here we go.....

lets start from the beginning since it to us was still the first day of the trip..i roll up to neil's pad and i'm unloading my car and talking to neil and traci when a small honda rolls up fully loaded with gear. Now i first thought.... ok who is this guy and who did he rob? Turns out, that the guy is Dan, the man of many nicknames. You know this guy is gonna be fun when he steps out of the car and is eating a caesar salad ... i mean, come on, who does that?

on the road, our first pit stop/gas fill up is at Tha No.....Fresno that is! Neil's never been so what the heck.... lets stop by. Sure enough Dan and i go inside to use the restroom and when i get out, Dan is chatting it up with some caltrans guys and they're all talking about how the coffee is out. I then see Dan grinding coffee beans and starting to brew his own coffee... Now this gas station store is about 20'x15' and there has to be about 10 people packed inside. I pick up a starbucks doubleshot and i'm in the middle of paying when this cracked out hooker gets behind me and then asks the dood for a box of condoms at least she uses protection i think to myself

I walk out and leave Dan to his barista duties and i see Neil looking at his cooler filled with Newcastle. Now this wouldn't be a problem normally, but in the few minutes since i first went into the store, there were now 3-4 squad cars outside and some wacko in a tank top, shorts and flip flops. that would be him on the right....

back on the road, we made a wrong turn on the 80 somewhere and end up in this small mining town of Placerville... cool town, but i wasn't up for sightseeing at 1am. We turn around and soon after its my turn to drive... Cool i thought, seemed like we were making good time until we found the way back and it was about 70 miles of mountain roads This isn't something you want to drive on when you're dead tired, but thankfully i was freakin wired from the doubleshot espresso

come 5:30am, we finally get to the campground and we're ready to party as Neil has let everyone know. We stopped by andy's camp site and blasted some Nuge, rev'd the Titan and then proceeded to do a parade lap around the entire campground to wake everyone up
if we're not gonna sleep, they sure aren't... i think everyone stopped by or rode by and gave us the finger that morning...

We went for a short ride since neil had to make a phone call and check in with The Boss (Traci)... man is that guy whipped suckerrrrrrrr

Dan and I scoped out the lodge diner and decided we would grab a bite to eat. This meal would be the only meal we would eat for the next 9 hours freakin Patty Melt, you're lucky i didn't cut you with the butter knife

As Neil mentioned, our NorCal MTBR rep was guy named Francis Melt Vanderspew.....otherwise known as Melt... we called him Tuna and Patty Melt all weekend he was a hella good punching bag and didn't seem to mind.

We get back to the campground and we decide to go on an easy quick ride to get acclimated to the elevation (our campground site was at around 6k elevation)... now i knew we were in trouble when we had to ride up said climb... think of modjeska grade and 2 miles of that crap I thought saturday was going to be the sufferfest.... NOPE freakin Tuna is leading us on a deathmarch in the Sierras. We finally get to the saddle, Robo and I pad up and freakin Tuna gives us a hard time... I'm thinking "wtf, we're at the top right? " technically, yes... but the climbing did not stop from there Now i was still feeling a little sick and pedaling my 38 lb bike up at elevation was a bit of a chore... Robo and I must had hiked 4-5 miles of steep fireroad that day. After the second hike, we both looked at eachother and we ready to kill Tuna for leading us through all this crap.. We would get about 500 ft of decending and then climb up another 1000 or so until we got to the top of Big Boulder where we ran into Justin (i love gloryholes) and Allison. They seemed to have done the semismart route of Sunshine to butcher shuttle. They made a wrong turn somewhere and went UP pauley creek and hit up BB. While we were waiting for Robo's 2nd flat and possible 15 minute cell phone call We found a huge log ride and after some retrofitting, we made it rideable again. Vids of that will be up later.

The Big Boulder trail is a freakin blast, but there are some good climbs thrown in to keep you on your toes. Good amount of exposure, which happened to be a common element in the trails out there. Robo was about to get yet another flat and rode on it for at least 1/4 mile before finding a spot to work on his bike....this is when i did my tree hugging spill i managed to bruise my palm nicely after falling and putting my hand down on a huge rock it was nice and swollen and was all purple the next day... Justin and Allison had to get back into town by 5 to return the bikes, so they went ahead and the 4 amigos would press on after them.

After BB, we hit up the Third Divide... probably my favorite trail out there... the trail was nice and fast with some good tech thrown in. big rocks, roots, braking bumps, exposure and steep drops made this trail a freakin blast to go down on. In the middle of all this fun, Robo freakin got another flat we were getting short on time so Neil and Tuna decided to hammer out the rest of the ride and try to see if they could get the shuttle to wait for us. Turns out there wasn't enough time and spots left so they asked Justin and Allison to wait for us. After watching about 3 different groups leave the third divide trail, Robo comes out singing and goes " oh man, i just chased a bear away from the bridge!" i'm like... WTF, i was just hanging out at the end of the bridge... i could have been killed

we make hast to head out onto the fireroad out... now, this wasn't a bad ride out, but after all the miles we did that day and having no food and running low on water... it was taking a toll on us. Robo was starting to slow down, so i had to push him to stay on the bike on keep pedaling. After another 30 minutes or so of climbing, we finally get back into town where justin and allison were waiting for us. although Justin was having homoerotic fantasies about me, i was happy to see them. We made it back into camp and i was never so happy to be back to a camp site. 30 minutes of sleep and we we out riding for about 6 hours.... yea it was a long day to say the least. We finally started to get a meal cooking when Neil and Tuna come back from they're saddle to camp site ride/hike a bike session. There were no night time festivities for us friday night since once the sun went down, we had a few drinks and went to bed....

the hella cool guy that takes you on epic "1 1/2 hr rides" Tuna Melt

here i am HELLA pissed at Tuna

i think Neil was wondering if he could huck the fence and trespass the tree farm

one of the many awesome views from the many climbs

who are these peeps? SoCal Cutters i think Justin was showing Dan what he was going to do with his tent gloryhole

justin's log ride...

my lame attempt at an artsy fartsy pic at the previously mentioned bridge where Robo spotted the bear.... it was right where i was

a view from both sides of the bridge

·
Banned
533 Posts
Dang1...took our idea, we worked on it all the way back to Oregon hahah...I was going to post just STICKERs and Eric was just going to post DRINK OFF!

It was great to hang out with you all...well worth the drive.
Lots of cool people...BIG thanks to all that put on the event.

More later

·
Registered
552 Posts
Downieville Big Fun

Had a great time hangin' in God's country. What a great choice of gathering spots at Packsaddle campground! Thanks to all of those who did the hard work of organization and logistics. Nice to meet some new peeps. A special thanks to J.P., Nick, and Evan for their camaraderie and sharing out on the boondocks of campsites 11 & 12. I got some decent group shots. Email or PM me if your interested in copies. TahoeBC, you're the man for succeeding in your super-epic:thumbsup: Good to meet you. Cheers,Chris.

Attachments

·
blood gunpowder & speed
37 Posts
The best party ever, yes! What a great time. The people, the product, the trails, and most of all the blending of all things to make it an absolutely unique and memorable MTBR event.

highlights for me:

Richelle's cool dimeanor at 8.5 months pregnant
Andy's antics, "contest, contest"
MIke Mays "Drink off!"
SoCal arrival at 5:30 AM in the pumped 68 Camaro (aka Titan)
Oatmeal stout, always there always good
Infinite SWAG
No head trips, the coolest people
Jeff dragging in at 9:30, to all the worried family
BIONICON
Very smooth very fast 3rd divide

Thanks all for making it happen!

Abe aka Ben Troia

·
Mtbr Founder
35,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Death on the mountain...

On Sunday, coming down the fire road after 2nd Divide, we passed 4 emergency vehicles, rescue personnel and what looked like a... body bag.

We came upon some riders at the Lower First Divide entrance and they said there was an accident on 2nd Divide on Saturday around 6pm. A person had fallen off the cliff. It got dark and they continued the rescue/recovery operation on Sunday.

We rode down and I had this sick feeling in my gut. Is it a cyclist? Do I know him?

When we got to our car by the courthouse, I saw two locals talking and doing maintenance.

I asked: "Do you fellas know anything about the accident?"
Local: "Yeah, it was my younger brother and he's dead."

--- silence --- (dammmmm, this is awkward)

So we talked for a while and I expressed my condolences. His brother was on 2nd Divide staking their mining claim with a companion. Somehow, he hit his head on a rock, fell 30 feet onto some rocks and into the river. They are unsure whether he drowned or died from the fall. The recovered the body on Sunday. The guy I was talking seemed ok and he said they had plans on working on that mining claim together.

Just wanted to pass on the info about this tragic event.

francois

1 - 20 of 100 Posts