Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
a big thanks to Brad from Bakersfield!!!

Regrettably, I couldn't make the Gathering 'cause I was tied up saturday. Was out on my road bike today though riding on 49 and had two flats in a row. No more spare tubes, no cell coverage, not excited about hitchhiking around North San Juan - then Brad (I think was his name, I'm horrible with names) pulls up on his way back from the gathering. He generously offers me a ride back to Grass Valley and saved me from what could have been a really long and unpleasant afternoon. He said he's not on MTBR, so if you're from Bakersfield and know him (was driving a white Tahoe type vehicle/had a GF 29er), please tell him again how thankful I am that he stopped to help and for being so generous.

Of course I made the mistake of asking him how the event was in Downieville - he said it was a blast! Kicked myself doubly for missing out...:madman:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's Kirt and Ty aka 'Dirt Diggler' on the PBR contest. At stake is an XTR cogset and XTR trigger shifters. They are the finalists from a group of five. They have to put the empty can on top of their head and bite off the can.

The contest was very close but Ty had a bit of spillage and backflow and he didn't bite off the can.

http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1494779147

Attachments

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Excellent time. Thanks to JustJeff for letting us use some space in his campsite. :thumbsup:

1. Rensho on Butchers
2. random biker chick riding the waterfall on Butchers like it was smooth single track
3. in town
4. in 30 minutes, that rain will be on us
5. The Law on Pauly
6. The Law on Pauly
7. Baycat on Pauly
8. grrrah on Butchers
9. sunset from the top

-Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Great times! but francois, that group shot is still missing at least 10-20 people that were still on the trails or heading back!

I don't think there were any major injuries other than some scrapes and bruises. Hopefully those will leave people better looking than befor the gathering ;) (really tho, healing vibes to y'all).

Purposely left my camera at home to soak in the riding more. It worked!

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
first, great time! so much fun, so many people to thank for making it an awesome weekend.

re: the PBR chug, I am not proud. after that, i vomited up the tasty brat i had just eaten beforehand. the best part about that- Kirt's (the "winner") dog came over and ate it.

i don't have any pics, but i did catch a rattle snake on big boulder. that is a great trail. it was my first time riding it and it was awesome!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Photo set 1

1) The object of every camping trip is to load up the car to the absolute capacity. Here is our rental SUV (thank you carreview.com). I had visions of fitting a couple bikes in the back (ha, ha) but when the car arrived, I quickly went to the store to 'rent' a bike rack too. It was all good except we're three short dudes and had to do some monkey climbing to get the bikes on the roof. Man, those pink grips are heavy!

2) The worst part about a road trip is leaving the kids. The girls are ok but the little boy's eyes can't lie.

3) The drive wasn't so bad. It was only a three DVD operation. Are we there yet???

4) 9:46 pm arrival time and 14.3 mpg average. Damm traffic. Damm V8.

5) At the camp, there's a Wii and Guitar Hero Three. WOW!

6,7) While sitting around waiting for our shuttle driver, Derek and I rode Deer Lake Trail out and back. That trail is actually pretty incredible and the trail head is 50 feet from camp.

8) Pineapplebob shows some log skills with the Fuji Reveal.

9) This is Mark's first time at Downieville, first time on an FS bike. His horizons were widened.

10) This the white bike.

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
photo set 2

1) On day 2, Derek fell off a cliff on 2nd Divide and had to fight for his life. Good thing there was a shelf there. He turned pale and the rest of the group was thankful for a disaster averted.

2) JeffH gave blood again and again. Such a bummer.

3 & 4) For two days, we hung out at the river after the ride, for a looong time.

5) Aside from the river dip, Mark let me use his portable hot shower. Incredible.

6) Swag hunters!

7) Inner tube contest. Note Ariel Lindsey (in the green shirt) super-scared)

8) This fine young man just started riding. He just bought his 29er last week and took it on the maiden voyage at Butcher. This is what happens.

9) This is the ladies beer chug contest. First place goes to the one in the middle.

10) Last place here. Note the two sips consumed. She would have finished that beer if we had an extra two hours.

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
photo set 3

1) This is Morgan and his daughter. There were reports they had to rent another vehicle to bring home all their loot.

2) This is the bike sumo thunderdome. It was insane!!!

3) Gatherings are about campfires. We had three days of this. Note the ambient lighting in the background.

4) Just for kicks, we threw a tiny bit of riding in. Here's Rafael at Sunrise trail

5) Joseph at Sunrise trail

6) Derek and Thomas on the way to Deer Lake Trail

7) Vistas are a dime a dozen here

8) There's no better place to eat an energy bar

9) Our state is burning unfortunately.

10) Home to a soft bed and a home cooked meal. Every minute of the trip was special!

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Here is a photo of the natural progression of the MTB. First is was the horse and buggy then it was the Hi Wheeler then it was the small wheeled Mountain Bike. May be we should of left the big wheel alone and worked with it all along:confused:

Attachments

·
blood gunpowder & speed
37 Posts
Francois, Kyle, Andy, and Neal,

Thanks for another outstanding event! Your effort and commitment to making this happen are totally apparent and appreciated.

Thanks Again!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.