Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago while riding 3rd Divide, some kids were asking for help with their friend who fell of the edge. We pedalled hard to help and I was thinking, "Maybe he just fell off a small edge." We get there and I just gasped at the edge.

He fell about 150+ feet down a cliff which was at least 45 degrees steep and full of sharp rocks, trees, and loose soil. Then the Yuba river is below. This kid fell down all that, gaining velocity of course, landing in the water. He was lucky enough to clear the jagged rocks at the bottom and walk out of the water. There was white water all around and a few more feet out.

After nearly 2 hours, my friends and I helped the rescue team, and he was pulled out on a gurney. From what I could see, he was not very badly bruised or scraped. He may have broken a leg, but his head and spine appeared okay.

I have not heard the results of his medical examination, but it seems "Someone" was watching over him. This fall could have easily killed him or at least paralyzed him. Amazing to say the least!!!

I'll never ride there alone anymore. Anything can happen at anytime to anyone.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If you

were riding 3rd divide then that was Lavazolla Creek not the Yuba River.

Was it near the end of 3rd divide? I am trying to think of where on 3rd divide this might have been since there are not to many places on 3rd with big drops all the way to Lavazolla.:confused:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not real versed in the names of all the trails. This one was the trail before the road (the road that you can ride into town), not the last trail that goes into town. I don't know the name. Its more mellow and somewhat rollie with many exposed edges to the river below.

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,729 Posts
myitch said:
I'm not real versed in the names of all the trails. This one was the trail before the road (the road that you can ride into town), not the last trail that goes into town. I don't know the name. Its more mellow and somewhat rollie with many exposed edges to the river below.
Sounds like Upper First Divide, description fits as well.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
zon said:
Sounds like Upper First Divide, description fits as well.
Agreed - many get confused which trail is which.

I never look down while on that trail - bad things can happen!

I took me GF on the DH one time - suffice it say, I'm glad she was using flat pedals that day!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I was thinking the same. Pretty hairy exposure on that steep little left turn grunt around the bend. Otherwise, 2nd divide has some serious exposure as it reaches the river and lower 1st has a bit too by the jagged rock area.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It was Upper First. I was there that day too. There was a group of about 5 to 10 teens. They had a few rented bikes, and were swapping out with some other beater bikes that they brought.

We passed them on our first run, much further up, probably on Butcher. On our second DH, he was being loaded into the ambulance. His buddies said he was OK.

Ride safe folks.

UB.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,481 Posts
Miles Todd

myitch said:
He fell about 150+ feet down a cliff which was at least 45 degrees steep and full of sharp rocks, trees, and loose soil. Then the Yuba river is below. This kid fell down all that, gaining velocity of course, landing in the water. He was lucky enough to clear the jagged rocks at the bottom and walk out of the water. There was white water all around and a few more feet out.
Sounds a lot like the Miles Todd crash a few years ago. There's a video floating around of that crash. He went over a cliff and wound up rolling down about 150' feet down a cliff/ embankment and escaped with only minor injuries...

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,729 Posts
Ebo said:
... Pretty hairy exposure on that steep little left turn grunt around the bend. ...
Exact spot I was thinking. Try to clean it and screw up and your toast.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zon said:
Is that the one around that left turn, real steep grunt with the exposed rocks. Its also got about a 75 ft drop down the cliff, yes? I wonder how many have gone over that edge, like during the race when everyone is taking chances and going for it.

This is not where the kid went over though. The section that he fell is actually one of the more wider parts. He just had bad luck and fell backwards off the trail. Yes, backwards with the bike.

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,729 Posts
myitch said:
Is that the one around that left turn, real steep grunt with the exposed rocks. Its also got about a 75 ft drop down the cliff, yes? .
Sounds like the spot. The rock face is on the left and there is a pine tree jutting out to the right, trail climbs between them.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
zon said:
That's what I'm saying - never look down!

I saw a dude do it yesterday on a DH rig with a 34x34 and flat pedals. Freekin animal!

·
screamer
1,379 Posts
that's just greaaaaaat......

I KNEW it was going to freak me out, but I just HAD to click on the link. What the hell is my problem? Now I'm going to worry about this....
Seriously, though, I'm not a fan of exposure. I've ridden these sections a bunch of times without incident, but beyond the obvious (look straight ahead, stay loose, gear down, unclip if needed, think positive), what do you all do to control your fear? Or are you all stone cold killers and I'm just a pansy?
Bruce Lee, where are you when I need you?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I almost fell off downieville near a bridge before 3rd divide I think... before the short climb.
I hit some steps type thing hit wrong and launched off over my handle bars. A bit dizzy but not awake enough to see my bike sliding off the edge of the cliff. hehe I dove for it, grabbed it and laid there till I regained my senses.... with my bike still hanging off lol. I took it easy after that "lucky" save. I looked down and saw the only part I would've stopped was 30ft down... then the next at 100 ish :cool:

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I still very much remember Mile's fall. One lucky man. Looked like a rag doll cartwheeling down the hill. Then he stands up and realizes he's ok. Broken wrist I think and some good gashes. The guy must have nine lives. With my luck I'd be far worse off.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
yeah, that's a rough turn

zon said:
I've done it several times, but on my last dville trip, I dismounted and walked it each time (3). I'm not one for sanitizing trails - but someone's going to blow that one at some point... it's a long way down.

·
Registered
312 Posts
In the begginer / sport groups in XC race in 2001 some gal went over the edge on that exact spot towards the end of "shale world" I road through and two or three guys were trying to drag her up , had no idea of where her bike was...damn scary curve...like you've all said....do NOT look down there ;-)

·
Registered
780 Posts
NEVER LOOK and DO NOT think about it.

budgie said:
I KNEW it was going to freak me out, but I just HAD to click on the link. What the hell is my problem? Now I'm going to worry about this....
Seriously, though, I'm not a fan of exposure. I've ridden these sections a bunch of times without incident, but beyond the obvious (look straight ahead, stay loose, gear down, unclip if needed, think positive), what do you all do to control your fear? Or are you all stone cold killers and I'm just a pansy?
Bruce Lee, where are you when I need you?
Just ride on by like you're in a mall parking lot.... It's all about confidence...

The trail is pretty wide near the exposure sections... just don't fall.....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Im so glad I read this thread...NOT! I'm doing a couple shuttle runs this weekend to get ready for the race, I''l be doing XC and downhill this year. I've ridden 1st divide a lot of times and thank god I'm not sure what spot your talking about. I'll keep my focus on the trail and pray for the best:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I will admit it...I am afraid of heights. I get nervous on any trail that has an exposed cliff. I really want to ride Downieville but everytime I see some of those videos with the big cliffs it gets the butterflies going. I wish I could turn it off or ignore it but it just doesn't work that way. The thing that sux is when that fear hits I start making dumb decisions on my line and get clumbsy etc. Hopefully the more I ride these trails it won't be so bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts