Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
I'm racing the XC, men's sport vet 35-44. Plan to not suck as bad as I did yesterday, riding the course. Not sure where I'm gonna stay, maybe at my friend's place in Nevada City.

Morgan

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Not here. But I recommend hitting Dville the week after the classic. Did that a couple years back and had many of the trails to ourselves. Perfect...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
SoCal chiming in here.
We have 7-8 of us heading up for the festivities. We will be heading up Weds night and staying in Sierra City til Monday morning!

·
Registered
23 Posts
morganfletcher said:
Plan to not suck as bad as I did yesterday, riding the course.
same here, i did it 2 weeks ago, dam a sware it took me 6 hours to complete the course, only got lost once :rolleyes: now where can a knock 2 hours out of my time???:madman:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'll be there Thurs to Sunday

I'll be there Thrusday to Sunday camping hopefully in the Wild Plum campground. I'll also be doing the downhill race on Saturday.

I only know one other person going at this point and not sure of his plans for accomodations so............

Any other recommended campsites?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Signed up for Veteran Beginner XC. I'm old and tired and slow, but this course is a blast! Haven't been able to pre-ride it this year unfortunately. I will probably shuttle up after the downhill on Saturday and do the downhill portion of the XC course as my pre-ride. Have no idea where I will be staying yet..Coming up from the Bay Area.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
GMM said:
Signed up for Veteran Beginner XC. I'm old and tired and slow, but this course is a blast! Haven't been able to pre-ride it this year unfortunately. I will probably shuttle up after the downhill on Saturday and do the downhill portion of the XC course as my pre-ride. Have no idea where I will be staying yet..Coming up from the Bay Area.
If you can, pre-ride the climb. It's worth knowing it so you can pace yourself, and so you're aware of how much your descending / riding skills will be affected by fatigue later in the ride. Do not go hard at the beginning of the climb, because it is a fairly innocuous gravel road at a reasonable middle-ring gradient for at least a mile, before you hit the "End of county maintained road" and the real climb opens out before you. That portion is steeper, looser and has less shade and less air. And then, when you think you've crested the climb it climbs a bit more on rollers, has a level gravel section then climbs again to the place where the shuttles go. It's good to know that by riding it.

I emptied a 100oz camelbak and a regular watter bottle by the end of my pre-ride. I'm just shy of clydesdale size so I go through a lot of water. My lightweight riding buddy had just two bottles, but he was out of water by maybe 2/3 of the ride. I consumed three gu's and a clif bar. I wasn't feeling so hot. I was fatigued from a hard 90-mile road three days earlier and two hours of sleep the night before the pre-ride. And maybe I wasn't drinking enough in the days before the pre-ride.

I did a couple shuttle runs four weeks ago, and then I rode up and down this past Wednesday. My ability on the post-climb portion of the course was markedly lower after giving it all on the climb.

Here's a motionbased.com record for my pre-ride. I did a few extra miles and some extra climbing because I got lost after the climb, and did some backtracking until I found my riding buddy and continued on the course.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/...unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=1075213

Not trying to scare you, just giving you my inputs. Be prepared. :)

Morgan

·
enter and win
727 Posts
find us downtown...

My girl Jenna and I are volunteering (9th year!!!) and I'm racing expert women DH....who wants to dance with me at the Saddle Tramps???:thumbsup:

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,729 Posts
I'll be racing Sport Master Men 45-54. I will be heading up early Sunday AM. See ya in Sierra City!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm racing DH SPORT VETERAN MEN 35-44

Did the course last weekend for practice... Felt pretty good... hoping to break 1 hour... we'll see..... Staying at BASSETTS - that little diner / motel right at the turn off 49 up to Packer Saddle...

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if there'll be any sort of "MTBR" group or not, but we're looking to see who we know that's gonna be either in Loganville or Railroad Campgrounds. Worst case though, we head up Friday night, sleep in the rig, then head out Saturday night.

~If you're camping and want to share a site, pm me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll be there!!

I'm really excited about going this year. Last year was great, and this year should be better. We'll be staying at the Kokanee Kabins -- which is a easy spin to the start of the XC race. I'm entered in the Expert DH and Sport XC. Yeah.

My son keeps asking me "when are we going to Downiebill dad?" I say why do you want to go? He says "to ride my bike over the big jumps into the water!!" hahaha.

life is good.

Attachments

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Schweeetttt!

Right on Brian!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Uncle Bri said:
...I'm really excited about going this year. Last year was great, and this year should be better. We'll be staying at the Kokanee Kabins -- which is a easy spin to the start of the XC race. I'm entered in the Expert DH and Sport XC. Yeah.
You're gonna be sporting the T-Head jersey, so I can spot you easily enough??

Zon said:
I'll be racing Sport Master Men 45-54. I will be heading up early Sunday AM. See ya in Sierra City!
Zon!! No way!! Right on!!! What're you gonna be riding, bike wise??

Now for the less than subtle hint/favor asking...
Come-on peeps, help a brother out, I'm stuck in the shop 'til Thursday afternoon getting everyone else ready to go up before us.

Please, please...

(Man, I seriously hope we're gonna be able to get a site. Truck camping sucks.)

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
I'm going...

Racing XC Sport Senior Men (uuuggghh, I shoulda sandbagged beginner! ;) ) and my only goal is maximum fun and going as fast as I can muster w/o bonking my azz off.

We'll see how that plays out. :D

I haven't raced D'ville in 5+ years and I'm really looking forward to it. Last time it was on my HT bike and now I'm rolling with the bouncy rig so it'll be a bit different.

I'm not sure where we're camping yet, but we get in Friday.

Super psyched! :thumbsup:

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Social Gathering anyone??

So maybe we ought to think about something social?? Any ideas as far as a spot/time?? I'm thinking between Noon and 2pm (?).

I gotta log off, but I will be checking the thread and pm's.

This is gonna be so much fun!!

Obi..

p.s. I think I'll not race though. I will still bring the camera though!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
What gear my dear?

How many teeth are the SS's sportin'

Would 34x21 on the 29er get me to the top or will it break my chicken legs?

Basically, how much of a yatch is D-ville on the SS?

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SS Ratio Question/Answer...

Not sure of gearing with a 29'er, but I've ran a 32-19, 32-18, and have been on the 32-17 for a while. I ended up blowing out my hub 2 weeks ago, not from lack of service, but "from seperation torque on the freehub". I ended up having to mash out of the saddle on some sections, but then again, didn't spin-out so bad on the descents. So as far as a standard MTB with 26's, I'd like to think 32-18/19 might work, but again, I'm not gonna compete this year, so what do I know. Maybe the 32-17 is borderline masher, but I was fine until the very bottom. Of course I ended up throwing out my time, as hiking with a screwed-up hub blew the official time factor out.

:thumbsup:

Obi..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up

I did enter the race about 4 years ago. Knee "challenges" have kept me away from racing for awhile. But for some reason, despite being in agony last time at DV, I have really been wanting to come back to this race. So I am really looking forward to it, mostly to just enjoy the course. I'm sure once I start the climb:eekster: , I will reevalute my sanity in joining the death march-- until the memorary fades in a week or two.

BTW, thanks for the race profile.:thumbsup: I have actually been googling for a week trying to find one without success.

Happy Racing!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts