Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, this is gona be my first year racing it, ( the xc )

- does anyone have any advice for it
- any pictuers
-and last year wat did u win if u won (jr. sport exactly
-and wat other stuff besides racing is there
- and just anything eles u would wana spit out would be sweet

-thanks
:thumbsup:

·
mind taking
370 Posts
Advice: Train. A lot. Its hot, the altitude is no joke, and if you're not in shape you'll spend the entire decent fighting off cramps

Pictures: No, but imagine 4000ft of vertical fireroad followed by 5000ft of decent on babyheads and single track.

Won: I won my pride, mid-pack, beginner category

Other stuff: post-race bbq, hanging out by the river, good fishing around the area, offroading, camping, etc etc etc

Etc: Bring sunscreen, drink lots of water, and enjoy the ride

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
MichiganMat said:
Advice: Train. A lot.
Listen to MichiganMat, he follows his own advice. Matt, you were strong this weekend! Good to meet you.

Austinrr: Find the longest, steepest, loosest off-road climbs near you and go up them as fast as you can. Find the longest, roughest, most technical downhills near you and go down them as fast as you can. Train a lot. Run bigger, meatier tires than you usually would, preferably tubeless. Bring plenty of water on race day, maybe also something with electrolytes (sodium, potassium) in it. You will be working as hard on the downhill as you worked on the uphill, it's not a coast by any means. Dust will be thick. Your position in the downhill - and the traffic and dust that goes with it - will be established at the top of the climb. If you're a good climber, do your best at the beginning, but leave something in the tank for the 2nd half. If you're a good descender, pass where you can. If you've never ridden Downieville before, consider this first race practice. Knowing the trails is key. Ideally you should get a pre-ride in before the race. I like to park on highway 49 halfway between Downieville and Sierra City, ride to Sierra City, ride up the climb, ride down to Downieville then back to my car. You can follow a paper map or if you have a gps, download the course from http://motionbased.com and follow it. They usually mark the course before the race, last year it was with pink ribbons tied to trees and posts.

I'm a fair climber and an OK descender, and I've never done great at this race. But I love racing it, and each year my goal is to do better than the previous year. It's one of the greatest mountain bike races around. I'm truly jealous of those that have won it. If you can win your category at the Downieville Classic, you are a very good mountain biker.

Morgan

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
If you want to do well, you need to pre-ride this course. Once to scope it out and a couple times at race pace.

Also, get there a few days before the race and get used to the altitude and terrain.

fc

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
Advice: Train, drink a lot of water or gatorade the day before. It will be hot. Pace yourself it is a long race you won't win it in the first 30 min. I was dead last for the first 2-4 miles but ended up 12th in expert with a 2:42. Pace yourself to finish around 3 hours and youll do fine. once you get to Packers Saddle, after along climb, there is still a few hills to climb. If you have plenty of energy there you can make up some time and spots. Most people are wiped by that time.
And like MM said: sunscreen and enoy the ride. This is by far the best MTB race around.
DRINK LOTS OF WATER THE DAY BEFORE!!!

·
screamer
1,385 Posts
austin rr said:
hey, this is gona be my first year racing it, ( the xc )

- does anyone have any advice for it
- any pictuers
-and last year wat did u win if u won (jr. sport exactly
-and wat other stuff besides racing is there
- and just anything eles u would wana spit out would be sweet

-thanks
:thumbsup:
You have to pass a spelling test at the top of the climb in order to continue to the downhill, so you might want to work on that.

(Sorry, that was really pissy; haven't had my coffee yet....:mad: )

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
Wear good hiking shoes

·
Registered
913 Posts
snowjnky said:
And like MM said: sunscreen and enoy the ride. This is by far the best MTB race around.
DRINK LOTS OF WATER THE DAY BEFORE!!!
I'm already entered in the DH race, but you're making me want to enter the XC race too :)

I was entered in both last year, and was training for the Vineman Half Ironman that was one week after Downieville. I figured the conditioning from my triathlon training would have been enough to carry me through the XC climb.

It wasn't the case. I pre-rode the course the day before the race, and the heat and altitude just flattened me. I emptied my 100oz camelbak about halfway down the descent - luckily, I found the one drinking well that was out there - I think it was on 3rd divide?

I ended up dropping out and riding the DH only. I feel much stronger and more fit this year, but I really want to focus on the DH. XC next year, for sure :)

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I've done the race 5 times and have gotten 2nd, & 3rd in the Expert 45+ race. You get some nice swag , it depends on the year, WTB Tires, t shirts etc. I think one year the winner got some hayes brakes.
My advise would be to pre ride the course as much as possible. Do the climb 1 time , then a few shuttles so you have the downhill down! If you are a great downhiller you can make up over 10 minutes on your competition. I'm a good downhiller, not great, my friend did the climb about 5 minutes faster then me, but his finish time was 20 minutes faster then me because he is so fast on the downhill! He had the fastest time of any expert last year.
Do not go with light tires, pick a tire that is good in loose rocky conditions and will hold up.
This year I'm going with a Mythos 2x1 in the rear and WTB Mutano race up front, with stans sealant.
Hope that helps

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
The two years I did D-ville, I raced both the XC and DH. The first year I filled in on the DH for someone who got hurt. Never pre-rode as I decided the morning of the DH. Did pretty good, would've been 6th in my category. So you can do pretty good if you're reasonably good at the technical stuff. I have to admit though the terrain was something I'd only done in small stretches. Both the DH and XC are relentless, with not many areas where you can go brain dead.

I raced the XC the first year on a SS - probably not the best choice in the world. The long climb is pretty ugly, and because generally people are crawling up it in their granny the SSers have to try to pass in the loose dusty stuff off the good line. It is hot and dry. You will suffer on the climb regardless how fit you are. The second time I did that climb in a geared bike was much better. As a matter of fact, the entire race was better on a full boinger. My time went from 3:06 (flatted near the road at the end - rode in on a flat) to 2:48.

I would go into the race with low expectations - unless you are some freak, you probably won't win your category. D-ville can and will dish out some humble pie. Be prepared for anything out there - it is rough and you're a long ways away from anything. I watched a guy nearly fall to his death - frightening. Took the bike at least 5 seconds of banging on rocks before it hit the ground. E-caps and gels are a good thing to have with you. Also, people have talked about hydrating - do it for several days prior to the race, not just the day before. It is very dry up there. Drink a lot and often.

Have some fun out there too - it's not all about the winning. If it were, not many of us would be out there. Good luck! Can't wait to hear how things go for you.

Mike

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Not that I am one to give advice, having came in last place in last year's race, but probably drinking craploads of water the day before is NOT a good idea. Sport drinks, yes. Drinking lots of water will most likely dilute your system of chemicals.

By the way, a room freed up at our house which is 50 yards from the race start in Sierra City. Anyone who needs a private room ($200, negotiable. friday, sat and sunday nights included) PM me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks a bunch, i did the pevine hill climb (if u know what race that is in reno) and its a climb of about 12 miles to the summit of pevine, prety steep. it sounds rely close to wat this climb is :) i came in first so im hoping the climb wont be horrible, not gong to say easy because it sounds like the experts are grinding it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks a bunch, i did the pevine hill climb (if u know what race that is in reno) and its a climb of about 12 miles to the summit of pevine, prety steep. it sounds rely close to wat this climb is :) i came in first so im hoping the climb wont be horrible, not gong to say easy because it sounds like the experts are grinding it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
plus my downhilling skills are prety good, if the course is marked rite :)
and i think ill be prepared physicaly because ive bonked 2 times in two diffrent races so im tired of it, so 2 weeks prior to the race ive been drinking a glass of water every hour when i can.

(p.s i know my spelling sucks, gona work on it while im climbing :) )

·
Registered
410 Posts
You guys are making me really excited....I am racing the Pro AM class there against some super huge names in the sport. Just to know that the course is so sweet has me pumped. Rock on I can't wait to get there.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
1) Don't train hard
2) Get up at 4:00AM to drive up there after a crappy nights sleep
3) Eat a huge pancake breakfast in Sierra city just prior to the start
4) Go out hard from the start
5) projectile vomit breakfast onto your closet competitors
6) run out of water 4 miles before the finish
7) lay in a canonic state on the street for 20 minutes after you finish
8) check your crappy results after you can walk again

Worked for me :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.