Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, this is gona be my first year racing it, ( the xc )

- does anyone have any advice for it
- any pictuers
-and last year wat did u win if u won (jr. sport exactly :)
-and wat other stuff besides racing is there
- and just anything eles u would wana spit out would be sweet

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
48 hours before the race is the most important time period for nutrition, hydration and sleep. Make sure the week prior to that you are properly hydrating yourself so you aren't trying to "cram" hydration in the day before, it won't help.

I've got a friend who a PhD'd Exercise Physiologist that specializes in heat acclimation and elevation training. I can put you in contact with her if you'd like. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to answer your questions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Training training training

The xc course for me is brutal. I race Clydesdale (age 47) and I've been riding and racing the course since the mid 90's.
The climb from the start in Sierra City is long, rocky shale and fairly steep up to the Sierra Buttes. I reach the "saddle" in about 1:20 (straight climbing), while the pros do it in about :48 to :52. Then it's a traverse over to Pauley Creek...Pauley Creek is the start of the downhill into Downieville, and it's jaw rattling babyhead rocks on fireroad to start off, then the rest of the way is technical, fast, and a bit of everything...steam crossings, drops, cliffs, but 80+% singletrack. Once at the finish, which is about 2:50-3:30 from the start for me...you enjoy spaghetti lunch, beer, stories of survival, and the old historic feel of downtown Downieville.

Camping is fantastic at Wild Plum just up the road from the xc start...pizza in town tastes great, and overall just a great mtb race experiece. The downhill event is full within about 10 minutes of posting, but the xc incorporates most of the downhill course. Greg "Willie" Williams and his crew make this my all-time favorite event.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that sweet, ones u crest the first climb, r u done with climbing (long climbs not like roller hills), and wats the pixie cross aand river jump

·
Believer in Darwin
274 Posts
The start is a mass start. Make you sure you get a ride from Dville to Sierra City(12miles or so) unless you want to ride(it'd be a nice warm up). If I remember correctly, the first climb is about 14 miles or so. It is a meat grinder, tame fireroad on the bottom but nasty and exposed as you get towards the top.
After that are the legendary downhill sections. "Babyheads" is an aptly names stretch where you'll see bodies strewn everywhere. Easy place to get a flat. Take at least 3 tubes. It is that easy to flat due to all the sharp rocks throughout the downhill.
One nasty secret is that the downhill sections(15miles or so) have a lot of punchy steep climbs that'll call you out if you are tired. It isn't entirely downhill. Keep that in mind and you'll be golden.
GLTY
paz afuera

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.