Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year the camp sites along highway 49 like Wild Plum, Indian Valley, Ramshorn, etc were first-come-first-served. You put your camping fee in an envelope, dropped it in the slot and you were set. This year they take reservations. I just talked to a ranger at the Tahoe National Forest phone number and he told me there's now a person at the site who is an employee of a concession that manages the sites and reservations. (My reservation is for the race weekend, 7/13 and 7/14, and I was afraid someone would come in first-come-first-serve style and swoop my spot.)

I reserved my spot (#001) at Indian Valley through http://reserveamerica.com, after having called fifteen or so places near Sierra City & Downieville looking for lodging during the races. Everything's reserved! I'm bringing my family this year, so we'll at least have a nice camp site.

Figured I'd send this heads-up. Hope to see some of you up there. If you plan on bringing spouses and kids for the race weekend, let me know. This will be my wife's first time at Downieville and I'm hoping to get her on some good trails Sunday. I'll race Saturday, then Sunday I'll be with the kids, maybe watching the downhill, maybe doing some hiking, certainly doing some swimming.

Morgan

·
Butcher
529 Posts
Thanks for the head's up!! That was huge! We're getting in on Thurs. night but I booked a spot at Ramshorn just in case. I remember that one being closer to Downieville but on the opposite side of the highway from Indian Valley & Rocky Rest.

What's the scoop on Ramshorn? I stayed at Indian Valley a few years ago and it was nice being close to the river. Any other advantages/benefits (besides the river) to staying at Indian Valley vs. Ramshorn?

Good luck in the race! We'll be watching on Sat. :thumbsup:

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I tried to reserve a room in D-ville or Sierra City at least a month ago and it was hopeless. I now have a early morning 1-hr drive from Nevada City to Sierra City. (they aint cities, so wtf??)

Wasnt easy to get that room either. Mid-July is just crazy vacation time I guess.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Pantalones said:
We have a place booked in Downieville but I noticed (for those of you who haven't booked) an opening on Craigslist for a place in Sierra City (the start of the Cross Country race). This is rare as most book a year in advance:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/vac/366503984.html

Good luck and see you up there!
Only problem is too many nights. Only need Friday and Saturday. Anyway that should have been posted weeks and weeks ago.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NoBalance said:
Only problem is too many nights. Only need Friday and Saturday. Anyway that should have been posted weeks and weeks ago.
BTW the "Lure" resort - beautiful cabins on the water between Downieville & Sierra City - did have a minimum-four-nights cabin available, including 7/13 & 7/14 when I called three or four days ago, but it was ~$700 for those four nights and I passed. That was the only thing available. I should have mentioned it.

http://www.lureresort.com/

Morgan

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Just be carefull and come early with camp reservation.

I booked site on Union Flat next weekend after MTBR gathering. Driving long hours from Bay Area on friday and coming to the campsite by midnight only finding 2 cars parked at the reserved campsite.
Guys claimed there was no reservation sign so they paid for a site and went sleep. So either ranger didn't posted sign (they may not used for this since it was first-come for long time) or two guys decided to play smart and took off sign thinking no one will come that late.
We didn't had chances to find out what really happened, we just put tent on the spot and there is was plenty space for 3rd car and on morning all cars (including us) was gone before any authorities showd up. 8:00AM shuttle the blast ;)

·
EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
520 Posts
yup - I noticed the reservation site and reserved Wild Plum (site #004) for the whole week.

I camp a lot and make a lot of reservations and have used this service - but it doesn't make me happy ... I think it's total bullshyte to charge a $9.00 service fee for people using the website ... it gives an unfair advantage to people who have the extra $$.

I mean $9.00 service charge for that [email protected] site? I could design a better site with my eyes closed ... navigation sux, and if you want to make a simple change they hit you up with a $10.00 change fee!

It should be illegal to charge a service fee which is about 40% of the single night charge for a site!

·
Registered
50 Posts
DV lodging/ campsites

NoBalance said:
The lodging in DV is always booked up at least a year in advance for the Classic. I think most people up there demand a week so there's definitely a lot of riders hanging out for that week before. I know only because that's what we had to do last year. There were also a ton of people coming up on Tues and Wed for the campsites when that was first come/ first serve last year. Maybe that will change with this reservation system.

·
weekend worrier
562 Posts
NoBalance said:
I now have a early morning 1-hr drive from Nevada City to Sierra City. (they aint cities, so wtf??)
Well, technically, Nevada City is incorporated, so it's a city. Sierra City is unincorporated. There are no incorporated cities in Sierra County! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stalk said:
Just be carefull and come early with camp reservation.

I booked site on Union Flat next weekend after MTBR gathering. Driving long hours from Bay Area on friday and coming to the campsite by midnight only finding 2 cars parked at the reserved campsite.
Guys claimed there was no reservation sign so they paid for a site and went sleep. So either ranger didn't posted sign (they may not used for this since it was first-come for long time) or two guys decided to play smart and took off sign thinking no one will come that late.
We didn't had chances to find out what really happened, we just put tent on the spot and there is was plenty space for 3rd car and on morning all cars (including us) was gone before any authorities showd up. 8:00AM shuttle the blast ;)
I fear there will be a lot of that happening on the race weekend. Most people (rightfully) think if there is no cars in the spot and nothing on the table the spot is their's for the taking!

·
Registered
50 Posts
feetsnofail said:
yup - I noticed the reservation site and reserved Wild Plum (site #004) for the whole week.

I camp a lot and make a lot of reservations and have used this service - but it doesn't make me happy ... I think it's total bullshyte to charge a $9.00 service fee for people using the website ... it gives an unfair advantage to people who have the extra $$.

I mean $9.00 service charge for that [email protected] site? I could design a better site with my eyes closed ... navigation sux, and if you want to make a simple change they hit you up with a $10.00 change fee!

It should be illegal to charge a service fee which is about 40% of the single night charge for a site!
Technically if you look at a map of BLM lands you can camp there for free. Just can't have a campfire.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pantalones said:
I fear there will be a lot of that happening on the race weekend. Most people (rightfully) think if there is no cars in the spot and nothing on the table the spot is their's for the taking!
If you're at Indian Valley campground, please keep an eye on #001. It's mine. :)

Thanks!

Morgan

·
Butcher
529 Posts
Well, shiiit...

I just answered my own questions... the advantage of Indian Valley vs. Ramshorn is... THE FIRE. No fires allowed at Ramshorn. :prft:

So I cancelled and got a spot at Indian Valley now. Looks like all the best sites have been taken, but oh well... I just cannot camp without a fire. :nonod:

And that cancellation policy is just brutal... as someone already mentioned.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll be heading up to D-ville at the end of July. It sounds like Indian Valley is a popular campsite. Any other recommendations for good campsites there that allow camp fires?

Thanks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Anyone camping at Loganville should be prepared for Bears due to lack of bear boxes! Last year I rode with no sleep since I was hearing a bear eat all of our food 20ft from my tent. Next night we tied the cooler in the trees but still had the bear stroll through. Ahhhh good times

Wild Plum campsite we had no problems with bears & the river/creek is very easily accessible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.