Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm camping in Downieville (Ramshorn) for the race and was wondering what is the best way to deal with bears and food safety issues. I have not camped in bear country and know there are lots of bears in the area.

THANKS!

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
In general, no food in your tent, no food or food containers visible in your car. Store food in the trunk of your car or a bear box if available. Eat and prepare food away from your tent. Dispose of trash in bear proof trash containers.

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
there will be so many people camping there that the bears will have plenty of easy food to get, so make yours a bit tougher to get at. Keep your food in your car and out of your tent and throw your trash away at night like harry suggested. I've camped there a number of times and haven't had a bear encounter. I have seen bears in the other close camp on the sierra city side of d-ville. mainly raiding the garbage cans. I was sleeping al fresco on the picnic table and the bear walked right past me on his way to the garbage cans and wanted nothing to do with me. also only keep water in your tent to drink no gatorade/cytomax/evervit that stuff smells like candy to bears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.