Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, headed to LA area next week to connect with a friend and escape the CO front range winter. Were gonna hit up some rides in that area but were thinking about driving up to checkout Downieville as neither of us have been there.

Will trails be dry or still under snow up high like it is here? If ridable, can someone recommend a few must do rides and some nice camping options? We would like to do some shuttle type rides with good vert, but also a nice trail ride where we earn said vert

Thx!

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
You might want to check out the Palm Springs Epic or rides in the mountains, like Idyllwild- The Hub Cyclery. There's also Nobel Canyon (good camping at Big Laguna Meadow) east of San Diego and the San Juan Trail and/or Chiquito in Orange County. Both are pretty awesome, especially this time of year.

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to check out the Palm Springs Epic or rides in the mountains, like Idyllwild- The Hub Cyclery. There's also Nobel Canyon east of San Diego and the San Juan Trail and/or Chiquito in Orange County. Both are pretty awesome, especially this time of year.
Yeah we were talking about doing both Noble canyon and San juan, he's in Pasadena so we will be doing his local stuff in the San Gab's as well. Those will be day trips but wanted to camp/ride too.

Thank you for the link burpp, it will be mid April(a few weeks form now) before we would be there but it sounds like the higher stuff will be closed still. Would any of the must do type rides in the area be open by then? I'm not sure which rides to look at.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah we were talking about doing both Noble canyon and San juan, he's in Pasadena so we will be doing his local stuff in the San Gab's as well. Those will be day trips but wanted to camp/ride too.

Thank you for the link burpp, it will be mid April(a few weeks form now) before we would be there but it sounds like the higher stuff will be closed still. Would any of the must do type rides in the area be open by then? I'm not sure which rides to look at.
rides of note would be big boulder, 3rd divide, 2nd divide, butcher or pauley creek, all are probably mostly ridable right now but you would have to climb them till you hit snow then rip down..no shuttle access now

·
Registered
203 Posts
I live in Nevada City, and the weather is changing quick. there is talk of snow at 2500 ft. tomorrow. I would say if you're up this way Auburn is always worth the time, and if you want to ride in the Nevada City area, PM me if you want more info, and I can tell you if it's happening or not. Forest City was happening but with snow at 2500 feet, it could be buried in a couple of days, which means the epic D-ville stuff will be buried as well. Orange county, San Diego, Escondido, SLO, even Santa Cruz, but the Sierras are still unpredictable, IMO.

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great info, I think we are leaning towards skipping D'ville if we cant access all the goods, mostly cause what Brewtality points out about the drive up from LA, since I'm driving over from CO already.

As an option we are considering the Santa Barbara or SLO area, any input there as far as rides/camping goes?

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey thanks, my buddy is talking about Santa barbara cause he's ridden there in the past and says the camping there will be great too. I have heard more about the SLO area tho, would you recommend SLO over Santa Barbara?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey thanks, my buddy is talking about Santa barbara cause he's ridden there in the past and says the camping there will be great too. I have heard more about the SLO area tho, would you recommend SLO over Santa Barbara?
\
Do both they are only a 75-90 minute drive apart.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
SLO is awesome, but lots of climbing and the descents are rocky and will kick your arse. Fun as heck tho!

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SLO is awesome, but lots of climbing and the descents are rocky and will kick your arse. Fun as heck tho!
Can you recommend a couple of the better rides?, we will have 2 veh's too so we can shuttle if possible.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Since you can shuttle you might want to look into a San Juan-Viejo Tie-Chiquito ride in OC. It's a great combination of flow and gnar through oak forests and chapparal. This site will get you started: MountainBikeBill But you might need to do a little research to put the whole route together. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Irish Hills, Madonna, montara del oro, botanicals, morning glory. There are a few others but there not quite tourist trails, not sure if there legal or not.

·
new and improved
398 Posts
If your buddy has been to SB he probably already knows - Tunnel and Coldsprings are well worth a day of your life. Don't bring your hardtail. And find a third person so you can rotate drivers.

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since you can shuttle you might want to look into a San Juan-Viejo Tie-Chiquito ride in OC. It's a great combination of flow and gnar through oak forests and chapparal. This site will get you started: MountainBikeBill But you might need to do a little research to put the whole route together. Let me know if I can help.
Thx man, that site helps, altho not sure how to connect the route you mentioned, might get in touch when we are closer in to get details. Do you know Aquaholic?, I was gonna give him a ring and get details on Noble canyon, might camp a couple nights down there.

Thank you for all the sugg's for the Santa Barbara and SLO areas as well, not sure what exactly were gonna do yet but this sure helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts