Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seriously! I thought the bike was a solid performer with a great track record. Is it temporary to make some revisions to the frame or is it a decision that was made due to mechanical error? What can we expect from Haro in the future as a possible replacement for a DH rig? I wanted a 357 so freaking bad but when I went to my local Haro dealer to order one I was told that the bike(frame) has been discontinued. So what's the story?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The .357 was a fantastic bike...just ask Mick Hannah and Cody Warren. Cody won his National title on a .357.

The reason we opted to discontinue the .357's has little to do with mechanical error. Yes, Mick and Cody cracked a few swingarms when the bikes were in their prototype stages, but that's part of testing. Those issues were corrected. The decision to drop these bikes has more to do with consumer demand for DH bikes in general. The demand just isn't there like it was several years ago for a vareity of reasons. Southern CA was a huge market for DH bikes and with Big Bear closed to DH bikes, that's a big hunk of consumer base gone. There are resorts who are following Big Bear's lead and land use issues across the US, making it difficult for DHers to actually ride their bikes. And with gas at/near $3 a gallon, this has limited the ability and/or desire for people to travel to resorts or do local shuttle runs.

Bear in mind that I'm not saying there's no demand for DH bikes; there's just not enough for us to meet the minimums set forth by our factory to produce them for us.

So, in a nutshell, market conditions are changing and we chose to cut our losses while we were ahead to focus on bikes that there is more demand for. When I chat with some of my fellow industry commrades, they are seeing a similar shift in conditions with many people opting to buy all-mountain type bikes with more versatility instead of DH bikes with limited applications.

At this point, there are no plans to bring the .357 back or create a new DH bike to replace it.

I hope that info helps. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I had no idea that there was that much going on to affect the production of the 357! Sorry to hear that it will no longer be produced. Thanks for the more then ample information to answer my question(s)

·
Registered
180 Posts
the 07 357 are great bike, my friend was able to get one of the bikes that was used for the ibex show. The frame is super plush, copper color is sweet and the componets are 2nd to none. I tried to order one from haro after my friend got his but they no longer had any left. Oh we'll i'm riding a marin now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.