Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go out on an inaugural ride with my new PUSHed Fox R shock to Apex this morning. I'm just starting up the hill out of the Heritage Square parking lot when...whoosh! An a!!hole comes screaming down past me on the first blind corner. Thank god I was on my side. As I turn my head, hoping to see him careening off the trail into a world of hurt, here comes his buddy doing the same thing. Hard to tell their speed but it seemed like 20-25, on a blind corner. Yeah, they missed me, but if they had hit me I wouldn't be here at my computer I'd be in the hospital for sure.

As I went up the trail I asked everyone I met if they'd had the same experience and they all said, yes, they just came up on us going so fast!! Hikers and bikers alike, including, yes, a little old lady. I could only tell the hikers that those two were a!!holes and not all bikers are like that. Fortunately they believed me. Those guys were the very embodiment of how hikers get all upset with the mtn. biking community, innocent folks (such as myself) get hurt and trails get closed. Hey, a!!holes, impress yourselves with your downhill skills somewhere else. My nephew has a 4 year old who has about the same sense of responsibility that you two showed riding Apex at 10 am on a Wednesday, exhibiting zero ability to comprehend the consequenses of your actions, except laughing at the bottom about how you scared the sh!t out of everyone. You both are clueless and stupid.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
While downhilling on Apex is definitely not a smart idea, don't stereotype all downhillers as having trail etiquette resembling that. Because, quite honestly, many/most don't and are respectful of others and courteous when on trails. At least that's how all the people I ride with are, and how I am...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with COmtbiker. Maybe these guys were, unfortunately, douches, and I'm sorry you had that crappy experience. But what's with the stereotyping? Your post title is biased and unfair.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
yup those guys sound like ***holes but most of the shuttlers i have come across at apex have been very courteuos and stopped as i was climbing up... unfortunately it seems the jerks are the ones that get noticed the most and they happened to be on bikes which doesn't help the general view of bikes

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
those two guys

I was going to spend more time on my original post about how the majority of downhillers are not like those two guys, how I'm impressed with all downhillers abilities, etc. but the fact is that everyone these yahoos ran off the trail today now think that ALL downhillers are like that--I've been around enough singletrack to know the difference between a!!holes and responsible riders, no matter how fast either chooses to ride. I take this experience very personally because my life being taken into the hands of someone else is not something I want to ever happen, whether it's nutso drivers on I-25 or nutso riders who almost slam into me going irresponsibly fast on blind corners on a hiker-laden trail.

Maybe somebody out there actually knows these two. Ask them what they were thinking and why they thought their behavior was OK.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
I'm with you guy, I hate downhillers. Always taking the good lines when I'm slugging it uphill....hmm...but then again I also hate those f'ing XC guys too. They always beat me to the top. Bastids! Come to think of it, I hate pretty much everyone...except those All-mountain dudes. They're some cool cats. They really get it. I'd ride with them any day. :thumbsup:

Juan de Fluco III
KLM 2nd hand general
4th front of the 3rd infantry

·
2,856 Posts
panthro said:
I agree with COmtbiker. Maybe these guys were, unfortunately, douches, and I'm sorry you had that crappy experience. But what's with the stereotyping? Your post title is biased and unfair.
The post title is not unfair and I'll explain why. -------------

BAH - you know what. I need to amend my statement - the title should say "Mtn. Bikers infesting Apex...." because that is what is true in the eyes of the hikers, et al. As pointed out, there are plenty of non-DH riders that are discourteous. Point taken!! So the rest of what I say below still applies to careless mtn. bikers in general, not DH'ers specifically!!

That is EXACTLY what the hikers and other users will say and complain about to the Open Space folks. There will be no pleasant and understanding distinction for a couple of rotten apples. It will be a general statement like, "Mtn. bikers are a$$holes! I nearly got run down by them today. Get them off the trails!" And one day, someone will actually get nailed by a$$holes like that and then all heck will break loose. The hikers can't wait for that day!!

"Thanks" to those two a$$holes for making our jobs to maintain trail access all the more difficult. Front Range riding will soon become extinct because of you! Nice job.

And serious thanks to xcguy for trying to repair any bad feelings but perhaps the DH issue needs to be amended.

Ed E

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
so two irresponsible "downhillers" constitutes an infestation?
To repeat what's been said, the guys were wrong, they make all mtb riders look bad in the eyes of other trail users, etc etc. For the record, I have met more ettiquette-less "xc" riders than I have dh riders in Boulder county.

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
I ride Apex all the time. the only a##hats I ever run into are downhillers. They're a##hats are the ones giving biking in Jeffco a bad reputation. but thats just one mans opinion.

·
2,856 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
I'm with you guy, I hate downhillers. Always taking the good lines when I'm slugging it uphill....hmm...but then again I also hate those f'ing XC guys too. They always beat me to the top. Bastids! Come to think of it, I hate pretty much everyone...except those All-mountain dudes. They're some cool cats. They really get it. I'd ride with them any day. :thumbsup:

Juan de Fluco III
KLM 2nd hand general
4th front of the 3rd infantry
Yup. Point taken by me, I've revised my posting...I was hasty in my judgement!!

Ed E

·
Registered
304 Posts
My only question, what made them DHers, other than the fact they were on mountain bikes going down the hill? I'm not trying to insite a riot here, just saying, I've always been on FS bikes for the most part, and like to go fast on the downhill, and have been known to wear pads on occasion, but until I bought a DH bike last week, I'd never concider myself a DHer.... Was it the full face and pads, or the fact that they were going fast?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Whew! I'm really glad you posted this. I just got back from my b1tchen DH sesh at Apex, and I was gonna start a thread about all the non-DH a$$hat trail users out there today. I mean, what is a guy to expect? I've spent a lot of time and money learning how to ride down the hill and all these d0uchebags get in my freakin' way! :incazzato:

Today when I was ripping around these blind corners with my iPod cranked to the max :headphones: , there was a frikkin' grandma right after the turn! :yikes: I was sooooo pissed! :madmax: She almost made me use my brakes too much and ruin my timed run! Can you believe it!? :madman:

There was also some silly spandex wearin' guys on short-travel bikes just cruisin' along not thinking about my DH right-of-way and how much more important I am than them. :eek:ut: I really think that anyone riding up Apex should wear some sort of noise making device so us, rightful, trail users can get to business without worring about some crazy fool in the way! :nono: I mean really! They should really make Apex a unidirectional trail because you'd have to be a tard to want to go up it. :crazy:

I especially really didn't appreciate the dirty look that was flipped the way of my riding partner. :eek: Just because you are too scared to ride down the hill really, really, really fast without regard for others safety and peace of mind doesn't give you the right to be mean to my holier-than-thou bretheren!

Something needs to be done here, people!!! :nonod:

:band:
Ok, I realize this post is completely pointless, but sounded like fun when I started writing...:rolleyes:

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Yet another reason why I only ride the hiking trails: never any downhillers to ruin my good time!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
xcguy said:
So I go out on an inaugural ride with my new PUSHed Fox R shock to Apex this morning. I'm just starting up the hill out of the Heritage Square parking lot when...whoosh! An a!!hole comes screaming down past me on the first blind corner. Thank god I was on my side. As I turn my head, hoping to see him careening off the trail into a world of hurt, here comes his buddy doing the same thing. Hard to tell their speed but it seemed like 20-25, on a blind corner. Yeah, they missed me, but if they had hit me I wouldn't be here at my computer I'd be in the hospital for sure.

As I went up the trail I asked everyone I met if they'd had the same experience and they all said, yes, they just came up on us going so fast!! Hikers and bikers alike, including, yes, a little old lady. I could only tell the hikers that those two were a!!holes and not all bikers are like that. Fortunately they believed me. Those guys were the very embodiment of how hikers get all upset with the mtn. biking community, innocent folks (such as myself) get hurt and trails get closed. Hey, a!!holes, impress yourselves with your downhill skills somewhere else. My nephew has a 4 year old who has about the same sense of responsibility that you two showed riding Apex at 10 am on a Wednesday, exhibiting zero ability to comprehend the consequenses of your actions, except laughing at the bottom about how you scared the sh!t out of everyone. You both are clueless and stupid.
Hey man, while I understand your position, you have to cut the DHers some slack. Apex is one of the most heavily used trails and is very shuttle-able (if you can connect the two words like that). This is a very similar situation to the Canyon Link trail in Boulder. You can't shuttle it on the weekends, for sure, too much traffic. You can't do it in the afternoons, cuz all the after work crowd. So you're left with weekday mornings. That's the most responsible time to ride. It is too bad that there are other people on these trails at the same time and they get pissed. Looking from the DH rider's perspective, he's probably thinking that he's made an effort to get out there on a weekday morning to avoid the crowds and the a$$holes are still on trail.

In the ideal world there would be separate trails for different uses, but there aren't. There could be time windows for each, but there aren't. The confrontations like this are unavoidable, especially until the lifts open.

I almost got killed on the link trail the other day, turns out, by a buddy of mine. What can you do. This is what these guys ride. There is so little public trail access around that you can't go ride without running into others getting in the way.

_MK

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DH gear

yinyang said:
My only question, what made them DHers, other than the fact they were on mountain bikes going down the hill? I'm not trying to insite a riot here, just saying, I've always been on FS bikes for the most part, and like to go fast on the downhill, and have been known to wear pads on occasion, but until I bought a DH bike last week, I'd never concider myself a DHer.... Was it the full face and pads, or the fact that they were going fast?
It all happened in a blur but I did see full face and pads AND they were hauling. The bikers I talked to at the "Mini-wall of shame" a few hundred yards up said they just flew over it. One guy was about to go up and had to get out of the way (his fault for being on the trail, I guess.) It was almost like these guys' purpose was to endanger the lives of as many people as possible, sort of like a drive-by, bike style.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.