Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if this is the right thread for Trail Riders? Is trail riding considered free riding? The reason I wanted to know was because I wanted to find a step up fork upgrade from these stock RSTs for my style of riding which is primarily trail. Mostly dirt, gravel and maybe creek bed stones. No boulders, roots, no jumping nothing really heavy. The fork should fit my 2007 Trek 3700. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
I went to my LBS a few years ago to ask the same thing about a new fork for my Trek 4300 and they told me to buy a new bike, that it didn't make sense to upgrade because the upgrade would cost wayyy more than the bike was worth, keep the fork you've got until you're ready to buy a completely new bike.

but...if your heart is set on buying a new fork the manitou axel looks right up your alley at $80

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product2074_39_-2006-Manitou-Axel-Elite-Fork.htm

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
personally i would get a Marzocchi Z-1 lite

but, his bike has v-brakes with a non-disc hub. it's very difficult to find a fork with v-brake mounts. i'd search ebay for an older marzocchi that has v-brake mounts. otherwise, if he bought a new fork, he'd need a front disc brake and a new disc compatable wheel. your looking at a price of at least $400 or $500 total for such an upgrade.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Categories, categories, categories... I hate it.

What do you feel is lacking in your fork, for what you are doing now? Ride that bike until something breaks.

·
Registered
812 Posts
sriracha said:
but, his bike has v-brakes with a non-disc hub. it's very difficult to find a fork with v-brake mounts. i'd search ebay for an older marzocchi that has v-brake mounts. otherwise, if he bought a new fork, he'd need a front disc brake and a new disc compatable wheel. your looking at a price of at least $400 or $500 total for such an upgrade.
manitou axel elite at $80 is V-brake compatible

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
sriracha said:
better to buy a new bike....then upgrade

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
perttime said:
Categories, categories, categories... I hate it.

What do you feel is lacking in your fork, for what you are doing now? Ride that bike until something breaks.
Nothing really, I actually love my bike since it is my first 'real' mountain bike, actually it is my first bike in 20+ years. I was just wondering about its 'upgradability'. Maybe I would put a rack on it, then some lights and fenders, THEN retire it as a commuter when I ever feel the need to upgrade.

I hear all y'all about the kickstand, trust me, I've been drilled about it already time and time again, it's coming off!

But so far, it's been tackling these...

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ninjaman said:
this isnt lookin good pal... just get a new bike
Hah! I just got it...it's not even on the catalogs yet, its a 2007. :D

But I hear what y'all are saying, that's probably what's gonna happen. Thanks though.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
normdzn said:
Hah! I just got it...it's not even on the catalogs yet, its a 2007. :D
sounds like the bike is perfect for you and it looks just right for those trails too. i'd leave it the way it is and enjoy the ride.
:thumbsup:

and sense you asked, that kind of trail riding you do is XC, but if there were jumps and drops, it might bump up to AM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.