Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some secret method that only the insiders know. I am faced with the daunting task of removing a WTB Timberwolf 2.7 DH tire. Dear God Please Help Me. If anyone has any helpful hints, Please feel free to share. :madman:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
kingofthemountain82 said:
Sorry for being dense, but how would one go about "using" soapy water. What will it make different that will help the tire come off easier.
it slips the tire across the rim easier

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Softly softly catchy monkey, or something. Getting tyres off is more about brains than brawn, although you'll still need a couple of levers. First off, let out as much air as you possibly can from the tube. Then, starting at the valve, pinch (like a crab) the tyre just off the wire/bead on each side so that it is pushed out of the internal lip of the rim. With the tyre a little more loose in the rim, use one lever to lift they tyre out directly opposite from the valve. If you can't now get a second lever in a couple of inches to one side of the first, go back to the valve and repeat the crab-pinch; you'll feel the bead pop back away from the rim, releasing the tension that stopped you getting the second lever in. Try again with the second lever. Repeat the process until you're tyre is liberated.

Trying to man-handle the tyre out is akin to trying to struggle free from Chinese handcuffs.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
I use Pedros levers and a bowl of dish-soapy water for installation and sometimes removal. Just use a rag to apply some soapy water to the area where you are going to lift the tire off, trying to get between the tire and rim.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
SteveUK said:
Softly softly catchy monkey, or something. Getting tyres off is more about brains than brawn, although you'll still need a couple of levers. First off, let out as much air as you possibly can from the tube. Then, starting at the valve, pinch (like a crab) the tyre just off the wire/bead on each side so that it is pushed out of the internal lip of the rim. With the tyre a little more loose in the rim, use one lever to lift they tyre out directly opposite from the valve. If you can't now get a second lever in a couple of inches to one side of the first, go back to the valve and repeat the crab-pinch; you'll feel the bead pop back away from the rim, releasing the tension that stopped you getting the second lever in. Try again with the second lever. Repeat the process until you're tyre is liberated.
+1 to SteveUK. I find that method works the best on my rims(Spank Subrosas). I just slowly unseat the entire tyre before I even attempt using levers to pop them over the rim.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Big steel/aluminum Park Tool tires levers, mix some Dawn dish soap and some water, then give her hell. I even carry a small "hotel" bottle of shampoo in my pack for tire removal on the trail.

The Azonic Outlaws and 3C maxxis suck to take off!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Steve UK has it exactly right. Patience and applied logic is more effective then motorcycle levers or soap. Always move the beads towards the center of the rim first to gain some slack.

Hint - get yourself some Mavic composite tire levers (the road kind). They have a much slimmer/stiffer profile with a better lip.

·
Registered
706 Posts
gurp said:
Steve UK has it exactly right. Patience and applied logic is more effective then motorcycle levers or soap. Always move the beads towards the center of the rim first to gain some slack.

Hint - get yourself some Mavic composite tire levers (the road kind). They have a much slimmer/stiffer profile with a better lip.
Yep. Thank god someone knows that. By working the bead into the center of the rim you can get any tire off almost any rim without tire irons.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
sodak06 said:
Big steel/aluminum Park Tool tires levers, mix some Dawn dish soap and some water, then give her hell. I even carry a small "hotel" bottle of shampoo in my pack for tire removal on the trail.

The Azonic Outlaws and 3C maxxis suck to take off!
Steel Tire Irons are a negative. They will mess up your rim.

The Outlaws are a tad bit hard to get off/on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
INTENSE TIRE TOOLS ARE THE DA KINE KINE BRO BRAH!!

seriously.. i love 'em. i actually call all my friends and i'm like "Hey, you need me to change your tires?" e z p z.

don't eff the rim either. just don't drop 'em on rocks and get burs on 'em. rims don't last forever anyway.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Raptordude said:
Do yourself a favor and get those composite huge tire levers. I had a pair and they were great.
the yellow wide Pedros is what I use......great stuff....but most of the times just with the hands.....Manhandle it

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,551 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
the yellow wide Pedros is what I use......great stuff....but most of the times just with the hands.....Manhandle it
After bending all of mine I had to go to the shop to get a tyre installed, he used a yellow pedro. I bought some yellow pedros :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.