Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an Air Force guy in Japan at the moment...and got into DH a year and a half ago...and love it. Yesterday was our opening day at Mt Fujimi and it was beautiful. I guess I writing this to do some bragging about my new ASX. I have had this 05 ASX all winter and have loved it...but I have only been doing XC and mild DH on it...so I was looking forward to DH season to see how it would perform. I started out with a couple trips down the mtn on my DH9, which I love. Then it was time to try out the ASX...and I have to say, I was hands down faster on the ASX...the bikes turns so beautifully and handles the rough perfectly. I loved this bike all winter...but have just fell in love with it all over again. I plan to do some races this season...to include Downieville...and was alittle worried about which bike to ride. My ASX is my choice...I will keep my DH9 because it looks so sexy...but will ride the ASX...all the time. My buddy has a Big Hit and and ASX...he rode faster on his ASX too. Buy one....if you want to get faster.

Attachments

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
hip hip horray show them over there how we Americans ride :D

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Japan is a cool place to ride....if you ever make a trip over, bring your bike. I have an Aussie buddy who has won races over here...and I can keep him in sight...I think on my ASX I might be able to get a win or two. Plus he moved...lol.

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not sure...but I can check it out. I am close to Tokyo...about 30 miles or 2 hours away. I will see what I can find and let you know. Why are you coming to Japan?

konabiker said:
Any riding near Sapporo(sp)?

I might be there this summer, if not then the next.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
2 hours to travel 30 miles over there thats got to suck

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
kawboy8 said:
Japan is a cool place to ride....if you ever make a trip over, bring your bike. I have an Aussie buddy who has won races over here...and I can keep him in sight...I think on my ASX I might be able to get a win or two. Plus he moved...lol.
thats because us aussies are faster than you americans...;)

oh, and nice bike...

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aussies talk funny though...

Yeah....traffic sucks here...bad. I have a CBR1100 that gets me around way faster...your allowed to white line here...so the traffic jams don't hurt too much. Our downhill place is 150 KM (100ish miles) and it will take 1 1/2 hours on a good day...4 on a bad. But...there are some good cross country trails close.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
kawboy8 said:
Im not sure...but I can check it out. I am close to Tokyo...about 30 miles or 2 hours away. I will see what I can find and let you know. Why are you coming to Japan?
My uncle lives there now and I've got a place to stay if I go over there, just somewhere I wanna go.

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
kawboy8 said:
I am an Air Force guy in Japan at the moment...and got into DH a year and a half ago...and love it. Yesterday was our opening day at Mt Fujimi and it was beautiful. I guess I writing this to do some bragging about my new ASX. I have had this 05 ASX all winter and have loved it...but I have only been doing XC and mild DH on it...so I was looking forward to DH season to see how it would perform. I started out with a couple trips down the mtn on my DH9, which I love. Then it was time to try out the ASX...and I have to say, I was hands down faster on the ASX...the bikes turns so beautifully and handles the rough perfectly. I loved this bike all winter...but have just fell in love with it all over again. I plan to do some races this season...to include Downieville...and was alittle worried about which bike to ride. My ASX is my choice...I will keep my DH9 because it looks so sexy...but will ride the ASX...all the time. My buddy has a Big Hit and and ASX...he rode faster on his ASX too. Buy one....if you want to get faster.
Nice looking bike.

Why do you have what appears to be a tie strap on each stanchion? Are they for measuring travel? Or is one for travel and one for holding the brake line?

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep...I like having one zip tie on each side. The main reason was to hold my brake line...the second is just so I don't have one leg looking different than the other and to watch my travel. I just put some 04 DeMaxx rims on it...looks even better. I will post some photos tomorrow.

006_007 said:
Nice looking bike.

Why do you have what appears to be a tie strap on each stanchion? Are they for measuring travel? Or is one for travel and one for holding the brake line?

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will see if I can find some. I want to get a helmet cam so I can video all the courses. "A" course is a high speed, rough, rocky, breaking bumps...with some high speed jumps. "B" course is more techincal...a lot of tree roots and greasy mud when it is wet...plus some ladder bridges. "C" course is referred to as the beginner course...which I guess you could take a few different ways. As far as I am concerned, it is a good course...the faster you go...the better it gets. Over all the place is great. The weird thing about Japan is...it is very wooded....but there are no animals. I have been here for 4 years and have not seen one rabbit, chip munk, deer....nothing, well I have seen bugs and lizards and a couple of snakes. I will see if I can find some photo's for you.
Matt

MTBSully said:
sick looking bike. got any pics of the course over there?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.