Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Trance X1 29. Stock CTD stuff, Arches, 2.25 Ardents, XT brakes. Excellent trail tool for around here. But I'd like to do a little bit of DH, Blue Mtn and maybe Mountain Creek. I was thinking of a 140mm Fox 34 to slacken it and maybe a set of beefier wheels, but dunno how much that'd compromise the everyday trail stuff. Guys who have done it on the Giant forum like the 140 but who knows.

Another thought is for the price of those upgrades I could pick up a used older 26" AM rig to hammer. But:
A. another mouth to feed.
B. I like the Trance.
C. I could just rent, but where's the fun in that? :)

I used to have a nice DH rig, but I got tired of it sitting around 99% of the time.
Thanks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
You could bring it to the park and hit the easier lines but I would not take it off anything crazy big, unless you are highly skilled. I have taken my WFO to highlands the past few years, I do not hit the bigger stuff (yet) and still have a lot of fun. The cool thing about bringing your trailbike to a park is that you can get a little crazy on it, go bigger than your local trails and it will make you a better rider on your bike. I noticed having less fear of certain local jumps on the trails I ride after a day at the park. I have seen people bring rigid 26er hardtails to Highlands and ride the beginner trails with their kids on their hardtails, just having fun. So I would say it would depend on what type of trails you want to hit and your skill level, if you are new to the park you may want to take your current ride there until your skill level is too much for the bike to take. Then maybe decide if you want to upgrade or rent.

-Nolan

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Get some cheap beefy wheels and have at it! Probably get a set for the same price a rental would cost. Worth a shot! I have a couple buddies that do just that and have a great time on trips to Whistler.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That just reminded me I still have the stock wheels. Sturdy enough and who cares if I maul them. Good idea. Maybe some bigger rubber
I'm somewhat aggressive downhill but there aren't many big drops around here so I'd probably skip those anyway. Jumps are fun but again, not much big stuff on our trails. So I could probably go a couple weekends without needing anything burlier. Probably. ;)
Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts