Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I have always had a pretty much live and let live attitude towards all the various segments of our sport and have never really had a problem with anybody on two wheels on the trail.

Until this past weekend. See for yourself.
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/DownhillJerk.wmv

This kind of crap gives us all a bad name with the people we have to share the trail with.

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
He's one of the Homers! Post this on the Turner board and see if we can get a name!

As an aside, you know what I've been appreciating lately? At a playground one can see dozens of little kids running full-speed every which direction, and I've never seen a collision or anyone having right-of-way issues, even when crowded (such as last week when I watched six kids passing each other in one of those narrow tunnel thingies). They seem to just flow around one another so they can keep playing. We get more rigid both in body and mind as we age, hey?

In that vid, who was yelling, "Yield...?"

Kinda looks like Pete actually.

G

·
LOL...

i think i will try that tactic next time. "Yeild muthafcker yeild, I have the right of way!"

wonderful trail manners. what trail is that by the way?

funny that it is a homer too!

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Maybe not a downhiller per se but rather someone who thinks because he has limited skills and is going downhill he is granted some special right of way. But if he tells me I'm a m.f then I think I need to chase him down and make him taste some of that nice rock while getting a lecture on etiquette (some just need it force-fed).

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
The worrisome thing is not that he's a jerk to other bikers, but that he probably does the same thing to hikers and equestrians, thus putting trail access for all MTB'rs at risk. It takes just one guy like that to make otherwise friendly hikers into a Vandeman.

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
I always thoough it was general Knowlege that you give way to the assending rider. But still to be so impatient as to let loose with expletives with out provocation like that is just totally rude. My guess is that he dosn't make many friends out on a ride. If that were me I'd pull over and see if the climbing guy could clean the pinch. Stop and chat while whe watched the other guy at the bottom have a go. He reminds me of those guys that ,when they come off they pick up thir bike and throw it and chuck a tanti and blame the bike, the rock the bush and the wild life for something that was their own stupid fault.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The fact of the matter is, regardless if he is a Homer, he's an a-hole and has no respect whatsoever.

I've ridden with guys like that and a few of us will wait until we get up into the isolated shuttle spot before letting him know we are going to take his ass to the tree line if he doesn't stop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
defination of DH

after reading this post, I was expecting to see somebody on a full blown DH rig, with 3" tires and 20" of suspension flatten a xc rider as well as a kitten. Since when does a guy a 6" travel bike with a jacked seat and clipless pedals count as a downhill rider. You classifying this ******* (who obvviously has no trail manners) as a downhill rider just perpetuates the stereotype of what cross country riders think downhillers are.

On the whole, I've encountered more problems with stuck-up xc pricks then with guys down the shuttle runs. Granted, I myself ride 90% xc on a 6" travel bike, and I by no means consider myself a downhiller, but I still think this should be trail etiquette issue, not some DH vs. XC battle

Adam

·
2,093 Posts
It's a joke, right?

You have to say that this is your friend just putting it on eh. If not, that attitude could get the guy pretty hurt by some people i know or anyone who is not up for that kind of talk on the trail. What's up with that right of way BS? Know the biking ethics.
Edit: is it really the rider coming down yelling the yeild?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
E ! said:
You have to say that this is your friend just putting it on eh. If not, that attitude could get the guy pretty hurt by some people i know or anyone who is not up for that kind of talk on the trail. What's up with that right of way BS? Know the biking ethics.
Edit: is it really the rider coming down yelling the yeild?
To add to that, I guess my only question is how and why were you filming at that exact same moment

·
Registered
409 Posts
It may be just me but right where the guy stalls for a second it looks like there was a short cut to his right that would have let him get to the bottom pretty quick without being a jackass. I agree, should have dismounted him off his steed. Now he figures he got away with it and he will do it many more times. That is till someone decides to not put up with that language.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,598 Posts
That really was the DH rider saying that? And you guys didn't know each other? I'm confused...why didn't y'all follow him down to the obvious trailhead, and give him a little 'what for'?
I am truly confused. I could see if the uphill posse was ragging, but that dude going 2 miles an hr. downhill? Eh?

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.