Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come on, you know the kind...

I've been seeing them more and more lately. Usually upper middle class suburban kids who just thought it looked cool and snowed mommy and daddy into buying them a full-face helmet and a 45 pound dual-crown equipped albatross with tires made by John Deere and absolutely zero set-up. And every once in a while, an adult who simply has a Walter Mitty complex. They also tend to be liars, representing freeride bikes as downhill bikes to anyone who will listen.

They bomb the steepest hills in their subdivision. They bunny-hop off of curbs. They pedal flat-land across town. Always in an area that has no actual downhill or freeride terrain. Their tire wear reveals exclusive pavement use, and the rest of their bikes do not bear out any evidence of the "hard core" image that they so desperately try to convey.

Posers are are a detriment to any hobby. How do you deal with them? Ignore them? Offer to take them on an actual ride?

·
Registered
427 Posts
take them out for a ride..

have fun..

used to be a time any MTB, doubled as DH or freeride.. or XC

i know my first zaskar did :)

i pose up anytime..for anyone..and im not scared to admit im slow

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
Seriously man???? How are posers detrimental to any hobby; sounds like it's YOUR image that's hurting, not theirs. Go ride your bike, and let them ride their bikes too, any way or place they want to.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
wasea04 said:
Seriously man???? How are posers detrimental to any hobby; sounds like it's YOUR image that's hurting, not theirs. Go ride your bike, and let them ride their bikes too, any way or place they want to.
Very well put!

OP, unless these "posers" stole your lunch money you shouldn't give a *****.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
499 Posts
Or maybe they really want to get into it, but can't get out of town to legit trails....and they can only afford one bike, so that's what they ride around town in....just trying to get into a sport they think is cool and worth putting money into....

What a very very very pretentious viewpoint...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Any body have any answers as to why this is the largest board on MTBR yet DH/FR is the smallest demographic in mountain biking? :D

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wasea04 said:
Seriously man???? How are posers detrimental to any hobby; sounds like it's YOUR image that's hurting, not theirs.
My image is fine. So is theirs. It's YOUR image that they are hurting, by negatively affecting public opinion regarding your hobby (Downhill and/or Freeride).

The general population doesn't see you riding Downhill or Freeride. But they do see Napoleon Dynamite taking his Sledgehammer off of really some really sweet jumps (on the sidewalk) requiring an ambulance to transport them to the local E.R.. The totality of their opinon of Freeriders and Downhillers is based upon Napoleon. And since Napoleon is clearly an idiot, it is easy to see how they could just as easily assume that you are all idiots. Gaining and keeping riding areas is going to be an uphill battle in the face of that kind of public perception.

And keep in mind, THEY'RE NOT FREERIDE / DOWNHILL RIDERS. They aren't one of you. They're just goof-balls that have equipped themselves with the tools of your hobby as some sort of "costume", hoping that someone will mistake them for you, without them having to invest any of the blood and sweat that is required to actually pursue your hobby.

And if they can afford a $5,000 bike, that means that they also could have afforded a $4,000 bike and a $1,000 pickup, to actually get to a decent Freeride / Downhill location.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quarashi said:
Any body have any answers as to why this is the largest board on MTBR yet DH/FR is the smallest demographic in mountain biking? :D
I'm not sure if this is the response that you're looking for, but maybe it's because they're sitting at home on the computer instead of actually riding?

You guys may have already been infiltrated by posers. :eek:

·
Registered
660 Posts
RIS said:
My image is fine. So is theirs. It's YOUR image that they are hurting, by negatively affecting public opinion regarding your hobby (Downhill and/or Freeride).
I don't give a rat's ass about how the public, if they can even tell the difference, perceives, my "image". I've been riding mountain bikes since 1988 - I'm over any image issues, I think.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
To the OP, try to be nice to those guys as some of them may actually be legitimately interested in your corner of the mtbr world (even if they're trying too hard as newbs are wont to do) while laughing silently, if you must, at the real poser buffoons.

If you can't do this (and I understand - I can't help nodding my head openly at some really blatant Wallyride stuff I see sometimes) then say nothing and simply enjoy letting the confidence in your ride, your gear, and your riding skill do all the talking. The posers will then look at you with respect rather than annoyance if you treat them like a d-bag.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This was pretty much my story until my birthday this year, so I take offense...

Have you ever considered that these "poser kids" don't have drivers licenses to get to trails that are out of normal riding range? When there's nothing around to ride every obstacle starts looking mighty tasty. For the last few years I've been building my own trails and jumps and have probably put in triple the time on my bike than you have.. SO WHO'S REALLY THE POSER HERE?

However this doesn't really apply to me anymore since I can go to Diablo whenever I please :p

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.