Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing more and more of them. PLEASE tell me what trails you guys take. I know plenty of hucks/rock faces, etc. on the green loop, but it's just so (up)hilly! I'm sure there are plenty of routes off the beaten path, but with all the uphills in the park I just don't know how you guys do it. Please hit me up with some of your routes -- I want to be ready for trips to Mountain Creek and Snowshoe this summer, so if there's something in my own backyard that I dont' know about, I must find out. Thanks.
 

·
Inbred Homebrewer
Joined
·
847 Posts
m2k said:
I've been seeing more and more of them. PLEASE tell me what trails you guys take. I know plenty of hucks/rock faces, etc. on the green loop, but it's just so (up)hilly! I'm sure there are plenty of routes off the beaten path, but with all the uphills in the park I just don't know how you guys do it. Please hit me up with some of your routes --
Suck it up and pedal your pig-bike up AND down. It's slow going and occasionally you'll have to walk. That's the price you pay for all that squish. In all seriousness, there's no such thing as an 'all-DH' run anywhere in the valley. What goes down, must go up and vice-versa.

m2k said:
I want to be ready for trips to Mountain Creek and Snowshoe this summer, so if there's something in my own backyard that I dont' know about, I must find out. Thanks.
If your goal is to build fitness for these things, there's no better way than to suffer uphill on your DH bike. If it's DH-specific riding you want, Wissahickon isn't the place for you. Try Bear Creek, Mt. Creek, hell...even French Creek would be better than Wiss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bike is set up for freeride but I can still do the epic rides, too -- about 33lbs. with 5.75 in the back and 5 in the front -- but I haven't discovered anything remotely close to anything pushing my bike's limits on the Wissahickon. I'd consider myself in pretty good shape, but I can't imaging pedaling a DH rig up something like widowmaker. The point of my post was to see if there's some "secret trail" or something that I don't know about where you'd get to push a dual crown fork. Otherwise, I assume most of the DH riders on the Wissahickon are just DH riders who live around Philly and just want to ride during the week, and since there's nowhere nearby to ride, are indeed sucking it up for the uphills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I had an 03 bighit comp I rode there. 5in front, 6.3 in rear. about 35lbs. The FSR's are pretty good climbers so if I wasnt in a hurry it climbed ok. I didnt hit any different trails...just the very rocky sections(indian trail) could be handled much faster than on my other bike.

I have since consolidated bikes, only bike now is an 03 enduro w/fox vanilla 130. 2.4 inch tires. 5in travel F&R. Weighs about 30 lbs. I feel its a decent enough trail bike that can handle the really rough stuff. At 5'9, 230lbs (BEEFEY!!!) I need a durable bike.
Bryan
 

Attachments

·
Inbred Homebrewer
Joined
·
847 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
I have since consolidated bikes, only bike now is an 03 enduro w/fox vanilla 130. 2.4 inch tires. 5in travel F&R. Weighs about 30 lbs. I feel its a decent enough trail bike that can handle the really rough stuff. At 5'9, 230lbs (BEEFEY!!!) I need a durable bike.
Bryan
Careful there... front tire looks a little over-inflated! ;) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a similar setup but with a Marzocchi Z1 FR and a Swinger 4-way. You should try running the 2.5 Wierwolfs (the light version) in the front and back. The tread pattern gives you great control on the fast downhills and I think they're great for climbing, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Stick,
you must have saw me at the poker run :D That was a Kenda that blew out the sidewall.

How is the side tread on the WTB's? Im running continental survival 2.3's now. Nice side wall tread for cornering. Im considering a coil over shock, yeah its heavy, but they have a much better ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The treads on the Weirwolf are like shovels. The guys I ride will all have them at least on the front and everyone swears by them. I used to run a Kenda 2.3 in the back, but I feel it handles much better now that I have the Wolves on both with no noticeable weight difference. If you try it, make sure you get the light one - there's one with kevlar sidewalls that weighs twice as much. I'm swapping out with my coil, too, because after 2 years of riding I have to send the Swinger out to get serviced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
a lot of stuff

there is a lot of stuff in Wisahickon. If you are facing the Valley green inn and head left take the 2nd trail on your right head up the fire road take your first trail on your left that was the most fun trail and there is a lot more stuff on it I forgot about. We called it Fantasy Highway. You pedal but there is only two mean hills and then the is the bowl. M2K i will be up at Diablo Saturday and Sunday if you want to chat can't miss me Six six one helmet no visor with a white sticker on the front. If you still don't see just look for the guy crashing into trees.

Hollywood
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fatespendulum said:
there is a lot of stuff in Wisahickon. If you are facing the Valley green inn and head left take the 2nd trail on your right head up the fire road take your first trail on your left that was the most fun trail and there is a lot more stuff on it I forgot about. We called it Fantasy Highway. You pedal but there is only two mean hills and then the is the bowl. M2K i will be up at Diablo Saturday and Sunday if you want to chat can't miss me Six six one helmet no visor with a white sticker on the front. If you still don't see just look for the guy crashing into trees.

Hollywood
I'm gonna check it out this week. Good luck at Diablo and make sure you do that new jump (see below). We were going to head there last Saturday for opening day but some guys who went up early managed to catch us and let us know about the insurance snag before we got on the road. I'll be hitting it up over Memorial Day. Email me about Diablo after you go if you get a chance.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
M2K,
just picked up pair weirwolf 2.5 race, $19.99 each on greenfish sports. Will let ya know what I think.

Also,
I have been wanting to go to diablo but, Im not a huge fan of big drop offs. I dont mind if its gradual, but still rideable. (like jumping off a tabletop jump) I enjoy bridges and rocks, just not big drops like in you pic. (3ft and less in fine) Will have fun at diablo? will the enduro be ok there?? I used to race BMX back in the mid 80's, been MTB'ing since 91 (im 32)

thanks
Bryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bry03cobra said:
M2K,
just picked up pair weirwolf 2.5 race, $19.99 each on greenfish sports. Will let ya know what I think.

Also,
I have been wanting to go to diablo but, Im not a huge fan of big drop offs. I dont mind if its gradual, but still rideable. (like jumping off a tabletop jump) I enjoy bridges and rocks, just not big drops like in you pic. (3ft and less in fine) Will have fun at diablo? will the enduro be ok there?? I used to race BMX back in the mid 80's, been MTB'ing since 91 (im 32)

thanks
Bryan
Your bike should be fine as long as you don't have XC rims, although the 5" front/back will be pushed to the limit. I'd say most people have DH setups or at least FR with dual crown fork, but my bike is similar to yours but with a 5.75 coil shock and I was fine. It's a blast and it's mostly as tough as you make it. For example, (I don't know the trail names) there's one trail in the woods with a lot of rocky, technical downhills that opens out to a hill you can just ride down, or jump - for which you would get about 10' air if you had speed. But that pic of the new jump is the exception - not the norm. Definitely check it out. The Weirwolves will help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
wahooooooo

:D Mountain Creek tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
4.5 hour drive though and then ride all day this should be interesting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Awesome

AH Man I love mountain creek didn't try the drop that is a steeeeeeeeeeeep transition and it's not a rock slab you land on it's a rockface. My friend did it and then I watched another guy do it. You don't need a lot of speed. The one guy just caught the end of the transition and he started about 4 feet from the ladder and took about 3 pedal strokes. You are wasily in the air anywhere from 9 to 20feet if you don't go off the "the road to nowhere" they call it and stay on careless whisper then you go down over two wide ladders and then you cut back into the woods and have some skinny elevated logs that you can ride. Rode saturday and sunday for most of the days and I have never been so sore. Went down some of the trails I haven't been down in awhile that I had forgotten about and hit dominion where I was able to do a tabletop off one of the bigger jumps toward the end. I am not sure if i got the bike totally sideways but it felt close. I LOVE MOUNTAIN CREEK :D
Lines for the lift were longer than I ever seen them until the race started. They would stretch from the lift to the white building straight behind it at times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fatespendulum said:
didn't try the drop that is a steeeeeeeeeeeep transition and it's not a rock slab you land on it's a rockface. You are wasily in the air anywhere from 9 to 20feet if you don't go off the "the road to nowhere"
Well, I'm heading there on Sunday and from the sound of it, I don't think I'll be giving that one a try. I'm sure my bike would disintegrate. I hope the lines are a little shorter when I go there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
you'll be fine

m2k said:
Well, I'm heading there on Sunday and from the sound of it, I don't think I'll be giving that one a try. I'm sure my bike would disintegrate. I hope the lines are a little shorter when I go there.
If you are used to the steep transition then I don't think it will be a big deal. From the base of the support to the top of the ladder is about 7 feet then from the base of the ladder to the beginning of the rockface is about 5 feet and then it beigns a steep long transition. I just don't like steep transition where it looks like you are just going to fly off into nowhere
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top