Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Light and Motion Arc Ultra HID which is primarily a handlebar mounted light with 600 lumen output and about 5.5 hr runtime. I am considering purchasing two exposure lights- the joysticks and possibly a 1 cell piggyback. These could be run one helmet one handlebar with 240 lumen output for each on maxx setting for 3 hours, or on high for 10+ hours... does the versatility and simplicity of the exposure lights make up for the loss of, at least numerical, light output and possibly runtime on a highest setting?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you tell us more about the type of riding you do and the length and duration of your rides?

I ride road and mountain and have two Dinotte 200Ls on my bar and a Exposure Diablo on my helmet (and a Dinotte 140L rear light). The Diablo on High is much brighter than my two 200Ls combined and on Medium it is at least or slightly brighter than the 200L. (It is more difficult to compare in the rain). I have been using only the two 200Ls for several years and they have been great. This year I purchased the Diablo and am pleased with the combination so far. The Exposure distributor told me that the the Diablo on Medium setting is brighter than a Joystick and the beam pattern wider.

Given that a Joystick seems to be comparable to a 200L, two could be enough, but maybe the combo of a Diablo on the handlebar and Joystick on the helmet would be better -- that way you can output more light when needed from the Diablo and ramp down the Diablo for longer run times (and light) comparable to having two Joysticks. I really like the cable free design and am considering getting maybe a Toro, MaxxD or Cygolite 600 for my other bikes.

FYI, Ibex Sports have the Exposure lights on sale right now...

·
Mmm... Tasty
700 Posts
I don't think anyone can answer the run time question but you. However, regarding the performance, I think you'll see a marked decrease - not due to the lumen reduction, but rather to the different beam pattern. The ARC was widely considered to have one of the best beam patterns out there, and that is partly due to the broad fill of light. A lot of peripheral light makes night riding much more comfortable. You'll be replacing that with two very spotty beams, and my guess is that you will not be happy with that trade-off (but definitely get used to it).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, thanks for the info, it is hard to compare lights without having them in your hand... my problem lies in that I do 3-4 hour singletrack rides where the arc is a great light, but I also do gravel rides that can have me in the dark for 7-10 hours so i was wanting the longer run time. It seems that maybe I want to keep the arc and just buy a joystick to run as a helmet mount on high as opposed to maxx, getting me 10 hr and if needed on the open gravel i can turn the arc off and save battery power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts