• Makes me laugh

Votes: 57 59.4%
  • Is great, how about a new sub forum

Votes: 27 28.1%
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I'm kinda ambivalent. It's just continued market segmentation that marketers use to try to create more demand and sales. I would vote for a Downcountry Riding Passion forum.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I hate the name as I think it is stupid (does not make me angry I just laugh at it), but I like the bikes. I think a lot XC bikes with a thoughtful build spec are in fact ideal for most riding from most riders. I think that most "trail" bikes these days are getting heavy and that many of the newer XC bike are already so capable out of the box.

I bought 2018 Specialized Epic last year and adjusted it to my liking. 2.2 XR2 rear tire, 2.35 Ikon front on 24mm internal wide wheels. Very slight change to OE spec. I race this bike in 90 min XC sprint races, 5+ hr marathon races, stages races and I just ride it around for fun. I just picked up carbon dropper post. I have not had time to install it, but it will expand its capabilities with a minimal weight impact. Bike used to come in at 22.5lbs, but will go up. I don't know what you would call my bike. I call it cross-country since it ride it all over. It climbs well and descends really well. The lack of a dropper was the only limit on techy stuff. I don't do big air or big drops so I don't need really big bike. When I do have a first generation 5010. I like that bike, but its weight (30lbs) means it simply does not climb as well so I reserve it for the most gnar or just really casual rides.

BTw.. if we start using downcountry can we just call it DC? Or is that too much like XC? ;)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Is 'downcountry' XC in baggies? Or just XC for those who don't identify as XC?
I think "Downcountry" is for those that think they are tool cool for "XC" since they think XC is all about racer weenies. I will say Mike Levy is using the term in a mocking fashion so he is the exception. I don't think he cares what you call it, but he likes a light snappy bike.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,131 Posts
Meh. I don't care if "down country" exists. I've been spec'ing my own frames for 2 decades. Ride whatever, not sure why the industry believes they have to quantify and name every little niche.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I'm new to the sport of mountain biking, even though I've been cycling in some form or another for most of my life. So my perspective reflects the fact that "downcountry" was a term I was already reading as I was researching what first proper mountain bike to buy, so I'm probably biased because of that.

That said, I have no problem with the term "downcountry". I think its really quite clear honestly. I can get why some people hate that "another term" is being introduced, but I think its natural/normal. Sometimes segments just change over time, and need a new term. Happens in most other industries as well (crossover vs CUV vs SUV, laptop vs convertible laptop, etc), so I guess maybe thats why it doesn't seem to bother me.

It basically describes an overforked full suspension XC bike with a dropper, and tires and other components that prioritize fun/no flats over the lowest weight possible. But thats a lot more of a mouthful than "downcountry".

Or, I guess I personally see it as how a casual/fun rider would spec/build a pedally bike. Or as another poster suggested, its what you'd ride in baggies :p.

I think that at present, the range for "downcountry", is solidly in the 100-120mm rear travel realm. Anything past that and you're getting into trail bike category (~130-150mm travel "ish"), and past that, into enduro (~160-180mm travel "ish"), and then downhill (180mm +).

I'm just waiting for the terms "Trailduro" (like my kona process 153?) and "downduro" to catch on, as I don't feel we've hit peak marketing terminology quite yet, and I need some more terms to throw around when talking about bikes with my friends to feel like I know something :p.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I think "Downcountry" is for those that think they are tool cool for "XC" since they think XC is all about racer weenies. I will say Mike Levy is using the term in a mocking fashion so he is the exception. I don't think he cares what you call it, but he likes a light snappy bike.
Agreed on all points. It absolutely is XC for people who are 'too cool' for XC. Spoiler alert; if they were actually that cool they'd huck something once in a while and be AM. :)

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I'm new to the sport of mountain biking, even though I've been cycling in some form or another for most of my life. So my perspective reflects the fact that "downcountry" was a term I was already reading as I was researching what first proper mountain bike to buy, so I'm probably biased because of that.

That said, I have no problem with the term "downcountry". I think its really quite clear honestly. I can get why some people hate that "another term" is being introduced, but I think its natural/normal. Sometimes segments just change over time, and need a new term. Happens in most other industries as well (crossover vs CUV vs SUV, laptop vs convertible laptop, etc), so I guess maybe thats why it doesn't seem to bother me.

It basically describes an overforked full suspension XC bike with a dropper, and tires and other components that prioritize fun/no flats over the lowest weight possible. But thats a lot more of a mouthful than "downcountry".

Or, I guess I personally see it as how a casual/fun rider would spec/build a pedally bike. Or as another poster suggested, its what you'd ride in baggies :p.

I think that at present, the range for "downcountry", is solidly in the 100-120mm rear travel realm. Anything past that and you're getting into trail bike category (~130-150mm travel "ish"), and past that, into enduro (~160-180mm travel "ish"), and then downhill (180mm +).

I'm just waiting for the terms "Trailduro" (like my kona process 153?) and "downduro" to catch on, as I don't feel we've hit peak marketing terminology quite yet, and I need some more terms to throw around when talking about bikes with my friends to feel like I know something :p.
Stick around in the sport a little longer and you'll realize very few of the terms you just threw out mean the same thing to two people.

Personally, I think three categories cover things just fine - XC race bike, trail bike, downhill bike. Anything in between those three gets too subjective to be meaningful in any distinct way. Sure, that leaves a wide range in the trail category - but that makes sense given the wide range of 'trail riding.' Is it really such a big deal to say 'it's a long travel trail bike' or 'it's a lightweight trail bike?'

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,658 Posts
Is 'downcountry' XC in baggies? Or just XC for those who don't identify as XC?
It is just an XC bike with wider tires and perhaps a bigger fork..... not really a new segment IMO. The trend of trying to create all these "different" segments is just a marketing ploy to get people to buy new bikes.

Just get a bike, go out and ride.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,658 Posts
personally, i think three categories cover things just fine - xc race bike, trail bike, downhill bike. Anything in between those three gets too subjective to be meaningful in any distinct way. Sure, that leaves a wide range in the trail category - but that makes sense given the wide range of 'trail riding.' is it really such a big deal to say 'it's a long travel trail bike' or 'it's a lightweight trail bike?'
ditto

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.