Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
except change 29er's
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Does anybody know if trek is going to sell the down tube armor that straps on the down tube that was shown on there top fuel and session 88. I would like to get my hands on one. It looks like it would work great for carbon protection.:thumbsup: thanks to anyone with real info..

·
Registered
54 Posts
To Trek.....
On your 9.7 9.8 and 9.9 models there is a carbon armor guard on the down tube near the crank. I get alot of debris that fly up and hit my bike on the down tube. I am very interested in this part. My ? is I am riding a fuel ex 9 09, will this part work for my bike? If so what is the part number so i can order it from my local LBS? Thanks in advanced!

From Trek......
Hello,

Thanks for writing in. The part number 299864 is the carbon guard for the carbon Fuel Ex bikes. There are a very limited quantity of these parts left. The part was designed for the carbon bikes and would not perfectly fit the Fuel Ex Aluminum bikes. It may require some trimming and is applied via a pressure-sensitive adhesive. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Take care.

Andrew Pajak | Trek Bicycle Corporation | Technical Service Representative | [email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just ordered one for my Scratch for 39.99 from the LBS. I had them check in on one for my wife's Fuel EX but being that it was made for the carbon model, and is applied with an adhesive, (not zip ties), I didn't order it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea i ordered one. Said they don't place the order till Thursday because of the holiday weekend. So I should be getting it sometime late next week hopefully. I will post pix once I put it on!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
1/16" Diamond plate 2"x12". I bent it myself with a vice and mallet. A rag helps so it doesn't initally scratch. I found some heavy duty Velcro at Lowes which acts as padding too. It's super sticky tape on one side and coarse hook-and-loop. It wont vibrate off, fall off, or be effected if it's wet either. It keeps the DP about 3/8" from the DT itself.

There's a radius on the down tube. The Velcro will wrap around it fine. The DP won't though. When you push the DP on, rock it back and forth some so all of the hooks grab as many loops as possible. I put the hooks on the DT since the mud shoots up. It will wash off easier than getting into the fabric of the loop. It's easily removable and the tape side doesn't pull off. It's VERY strong. A heads up- The radius on the down tube will allow the DP to "rock" side to side a little bit only when pressure is applied. This actually helps with deflection. The Velcro is strong enough so it doesn't dangle.

Notice the coarse Velcro.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok so I got the guard and put it on the bike. It is really just a piece of rubber with adhesive on it. If you look in the first picture there are two rubber nipples on the bottom side of the guard. I had to cut one of them off so that the other fits into one of the holes on the down tube and it lines up ok. It cost just under $16 from my LBS.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,800 Posts
I have a layer of real cf on the dt of my '09 R9 and a loose rock popped up and made a pretty big dent in the dt, right through the cf. I am pretty sure it won't be a problem as the cf stopped it from puncturing the frame but damn... you NEED dt protection on any of todays light frames.Larry's idea is heavy but I think I'll do something similar nect time. Luckily I have a custom heavy duty cf dt protector for my Session 88...no thanks to Trek, who should've had a solution back in '09.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@DansDaMan561 - hey, that looks pretty nice - does it line up / fit good? Do you think the edges of the rubber would start to peel off?
Chronic, Yea it fit ok. I had to cut one of the tabs off of the bottom and the other went into one of the cage holes. You are correct tho. The edges kind of wrapped around the bottom tube and it eventually started to un-peal from the down tube on the sides. It got debris build up throughout rides and now it won't adhere. Tho it is stuck on the flat part very very well and will not come off any time soon. I don't really mind the little debris that is on the guard. My bike is never clean anyways so it blends right in. I would say for the $16 it is a good investment than a chipped, dented, or even cracked down tube!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.