Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order my fork and have it down to 3. I really want to slacken the head angle just a tad based on my riding the same bike (XL Sultan DW) )with a Reba 120mm. I always seem to over fork my bike and am trying to go conservative this build. I like all the adjust ability of the FOX. Mentally I want to slacken the bike. Im just not hearing much good about the Marzocchi Micro Ti 44, so I didnt want to chance it.

1- Fox F29 120mm - FIT or Open Bath?

2 - White Brother Fluid-29 135 (A-C ~535mm)

3 - White Brothers Fluid-29 150 setup as a 135 with A-C ~546mm The bonus here is a super stiff fork but slightly longer A-C than the 135 and about 1/2# heavier.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
I have had both the WB forks, and a 2008 100mm Fox.

I would choose the Reba 120 over all those for sure for a Sultan. Maybe the 120mm Fox is killer, but I have not tried it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
how about a reba 120mm with a 7mm ventana crown race thingie that will slacken the bike a bit? also, aren't the rebas taller than the 120mm fox forks?-

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
wilks said:
how about a reba 120mm with a 7mm ventana crown race thingie that will slacken the bike a bit? also, aren't the rebas taller than the 120mm fox forks?-
hmm, I knew this would happen..good thought..

Im 220lbs-ish and wanted very stiff fork, I found the Reba to work great but flexy, thats why Im leaning towards the above....again this could be my mental block...and too much e-riding..

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had the same thoughts for my XL DW Sultan (wanted slacker and higher BB). I went with the Cane Creek S3 +5mm headset, and the Manitou Drake 120 (which was OK before, but excellent now with the Absolute+ damper upgrade, and still <$300).

A2C heights:
Fox 120: 521mm
RS 120: 526mm
Manitou 120: 530mm

Here's an admittedly terrible phone shot from an ~3.5' drop, yesterday. I'm only 6'-3", but it looks like a BMX frame. Notice the rear fender in my pack, that broke off on the previous drop. We take what we can get here in the PNW in December.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
RipRoar said:
man it does look small...DT was leaning me toward an XXL but I decided on the XL...Im 6'4
I've got a real short torso for my height and like a fairly upright position, so the XL top tube length (shorter than the V1 bikes) with a 90mm stem and zero-setback GD post worked out really well. If your torso is long and you like a more XC position, the XXL top tube length might be better.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
RipRoar said:
hmm, I knew this would happen..good thought..

Im 220lbs-ish and wanted very stiff fork, I found the Reba to work great but flexy, thats why Im leaning towards the above....again this could be my mental block...and too much e-riding..
It sounds like the Reba you tested was a QR version. Look at The 20mm maxle light it's stiffer than a schoolboy on a prom night and a little taller than the 15mm TA Fox.

·