Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently stewing over wheelset for a new build. I run carbon wheels on my other bikes but know that alloy will give some more compliance on the trail but I'm unsure whether I want to gable with the alloys and loose the speed and drive of carbon etc.

• Hunt Wide XC Race wheelset - 1530grams $1000 aud delivered
  • Light Bicycle AM927Pro Recon wheelset - Bitex hubs 1530grams $1550 delivered

Thoughts on these wheel sets on a 120mm Revel Ranger?

Cheers

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I’ve never busted a rim or wheel before. Current HG carbons on my cannondale are fine for XC... just unsure whether I’ll want a carbon set on the down country/light trail as I’ll regret the stiffness etc.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
I don't do noodle-rims anymore, so I'd be carbon for me.

Reactions: Shredman69

· Registered
252 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with Hunt or LB...

But back in 2015 when I switched on my previously owned 2015 StumpJimper from aluminum 30mm Roval wheels to Carbon 30mm Roval to me it was very noticeable positive difference. Since then, all the bikes I've had or have are all on Carbon wheels.
Out of total of 6 Carbon wheels I've ever owned I broke 2, the Roval which I blame Roval for it and Ibis 742 that was 100% my fault.
On my current Downcountry bike (Transition Spur) I run on 30mm internal width and 18mm tall BTLOS Shallow wheels (1,535g) and I absolutely love them, even more than the Crank Brothers Synthesis E11 that I got on my SB130 LR. Shallow rims like the BTLOS or Synthesis E11 are really nice and I would highly recommend to look into it before pulling the trigger on new wheels.
If I was building a new wheelset for my Spur now, I would definitely use the BTLOS Shallow rims again, but I would probably lace it with Berd spokes.
The things is it'll probably will take you about 2 month to get the BTLOS.
If time is an issue, I would suggest to check We Are One brand. We Are One Faction probably would be a good fit for the Ranger.

Best of Luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,222 Posts
For the xc weight I vote carbon.

I don't do noodle-rims anymore, so I'd be carbon for me.
For the last 7 years all my bikes had cheap carbon rims. Just recently laced in some alloy hoops. At 5 mph and below I really notice the flex of alloy vs carbon in the rock gardens. And its a reboundy, bouncy, snap back flex. At 8-10 mph+ its less noticeable and turns into compliance with a bit of traction gain. Took me about 5 rides to get used to the flex of alloy rims.

· Registered
1,501 Posts
Sounds like weight is important to you based on what you are looking at so carbon. That being said I would look at hub durability/reliability for me high POE and hub durability is just as important as carbon rim. Recently had a set of Nox Farlows laced to I9s as a down country type wheelset, never weighed but guessing they are around 1800 grams but you don't feel it.

Never ridden the ranger but hear it has good small bump compliance from the suspension that being case I would not be concerned with wheel compliance from alloy.

· Registered
298 Posts
Take a look at Nobl rims, their TR32 rims with I9 Hydra hubs are 1507 grams for $1550. They also have a lifetime warranty. If you purchase through customwheelbuilder.com, they offer a discount and are phenomenal wheel builders. There are other hub options available through both.

Note: not affiliated with customwheelbuilder.com, just a very happy customer of theirs with Nobl TR37 rims and White Ind hubs.

· Registered
5,287 Posts
Chinese CF rims are like $165-210/ each and are more reliable & ride better than any aluminum rim made.

I seriously don't know why Al wheels even exist any longer for any bike over about $3.5K.
Outside of professional gravity racing, I agree. Carbon is stronger stiffer, less trueing, and I can't feel a difference in vertical compliance. Only downside is cost. Not having to bend back dents and true wheels is worth it personally.

· Registered
2,336 Posts
The Ranger is plush enough for carbon stiffness to work well. I don’t see any reason to purchase metal hoops for it unless you like truing and bending.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.