Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Snow drifts all around the trail, dry up to the bridge. After the bridge, welllll....a lot of meltin' and dryin' out needs to happen. Spring Brook from afar looked like one mud fest after another.

Community ditch looked dry but as evidenced by the lone biker I saw mud happened somewhere. She and her runner buddy did an out and back on CD and still got kinda mucked up.

The deer leg I came across looked like it'd seen better days. Hikers and dogs were everywhere enjoying the day but biking I think is a ways away.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Man that Blows ,Why would some one ride if it's the muddy? I so would have walked around it or not even rode it with all that mud !!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was out there yesterday. I did a combo road loop, Greenbelt Plateau/Community Ditch/ Dowdy Draw trailhead ride. Greenbelt Plateau and Community Ditch were fine. I talked to some runners that had run on High Plains, there are still some drifts and greasy spots.

I can't imagine why anyone would even try to ride Dowdy Draw, Cowdrey Draw or Springbrook right now.

Marcia

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think a rider could go up 67 (that left turn just before going into Eldorado Springs) and get up to the Spring Brook loop, go right at the intersection into the woods for a ways, turn around, go back to left at the intersection and motor through the woods to the large field to the north, but turn around there as well 'cause from there it'd be snow drifts slowly melting down onto clay pits. Hey, riding is riding and I've found that it may be snowy and wet at first (up on top) but the mud only really begins on the eastern side of that area. :)

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
It's a shame

At the upper Doudy trailhead, the trail meter conspicuously reads "poor", but there are a plethora of bike/horse/foot prints leading right past it in the deep mud.

I actually think OSMP should just close and lock the parking lots when it's really muddy. There are still a few hardcore morons that would make it up there, but not that many.

-W

G

·
Seems to me all the off-trail hikers with off-leash dogs cause more trail damage/widening than bikes would. At least, bikes tend to stay on the trail limiting rutting and damage to a smaller area. Where the hikers and dogs walk around (off-trail) the muddy spots, widening the trail and impacting the trailside flora and fauna.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Walt said:
I actually think OSMP should just close and lock the parking lots when it's really muddy. There are still a few hardcore morons that would make it up there, but not that many.
Agreed. I really appreciate the the FCNA closes Bobcat Ridge and the Natural Areas up around there when things are too muddy.

My theory is that OSMP doesn't do this because the hikers would throw a fit, but I agree its just a few people that really think they have to ride regardless of conditions.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember one time I got to the Mt. Falcon lower parking lot and the sign said "closed, let's let the trail dry out a bit" or something like that. Seemed pretty reasonable to me.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Everybody does it

Hikers go around the mud, dogs go around the mud, bikes go around the mud. I see it all the time. Horse folk actually tend to go right through it.

Not that it matters. IMO nobody should be on Doudy draw right now, regardless of what they're doing.

Last year they did actually close Heil for a while, as I recall, because there was too much trail damage accumulating. It would be nice, IMO, to see a more active management approach (just close the parking lots, easy) for other trails. I'd bet 95% of the trail damage/widening is caused by 1% of the use, when it's sloppy. A lot of that damage is permanent (look at Coal Seam, which used to be singletrack).

-Walt

imaorobbie said:
Seems to me all the off-trail hikers with off-leash dogs cause more trail damage/widening than bikes would. At least, bikes tend to stay on the trail limiting rutting and damage to a smaller area. Where the hikers and dogs walk around (off-trail) the muddy spots, widening the trail and impacting the trailside flora and fauna.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
We were out at Marshall Mesa on Saturday afternoon- the trails on the east side of 93 were great- super dry and easy to do a few loops around the mesa. We rode west on Community Ditch to the bridge where we saw the scene as posted above- the good part is that we saw maybe 3-4 other bikers as we were coming and going and each was turning around when they saw the conditions.

Sure was nice to get out on the dirt...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts