Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here i go.

i bought a new 04 Haro 8.3. i was looking at the x3's but my thinking was that if i was going to get a FS i was going to go all the way.

i was recently looking at the Santa Cruz buillit and it looked to have the same type of geo and stuff. would the SC frame be better than the Haro? they are both like 5-6in single pivot.

with the same componets and stuff would i really feel that much of a diff with the SC compared to the Haro because i had another thought

since the 2 haros are basically the same thing i wanted to upgrade my HT right now. get a Z150 and whatnot then just go buy a haro x3 frame and transfer all the parts and get a DHX fox shock.

but would the DHX be as progressive as say the romanic that comes with the bullit?

this is long and i just need some help cuz im starting to doubt my purchase. maybe i shoulda waited and just got the haro x3 and upgrade suspension on it and have like the same thing as a bullit.

give me some advice!

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no....never.

im just saying that with the big price diff is the santacruz really all that better of a frame. cuz if it is then ill proly save up and get one in a few years. if its not ill get a haro frame later.

thats all im saying. just need some expert advice. if theres any of that left on this forum...

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
I don't know. I would get the haro because it's cheaper. Having ridden one for a little over half a year I can say that there are things I don't like about it, but if I were to get a new bike I would get something much bigger, not a Bullit. Now, my X3 has a Vanilla R Propedal, I don't know about next years. I thought the Bullit came with a 5th element, but I might be wrong.

I definitly wish there were more options for headsets, those stupid zero stack sets are only made by Cane Creek and FSA and they don't seem too burly.

That said, the Haro probably weighs more, it's hydroformed front end seems wicked strong.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think your right about the shock

ok good that was what i thought. the Santa cruz name and weight. i didnt know anything about the headset. but i havnt have probs with mine yet.

that makes me just want to buy a new frame and stick all my old stuff on it maybe next year if i get rehired for summer work. but first i need to get a good SC fork. wish i could get a breakout plus but i was thinking the new 66. indunno about price tho. proly wont have anymore than 500 to spend on it next summer. but after that. you think my LBS could tradein the vanilla R that comes with it for like a DHX. cuz that would save me alot of money and would be wicked. i love my ht but when the money comes its bye bye hehehe....

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Santa Cruz Bullit with the 5th Element kicks arse! Save for the Bullit.

·
bored
168 Posts
SamL3227 said:
but how much more would it kick ass then the haro x3 with a DHX and Z150
I don't know that the Bullit would be any better for you--you'll love the Haro, and the DHX shock is a similar concept to the 5th Element, but adjustable without tools, and not as "dead"-feeling. Just because someone says a product is better doesn't mean it is, especially if what they said is along the lines of, "It totally rules because it just does." In this case, the bikes are so similar that I would save money and buy the haro.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is the 19 a medium cuz thats what my 8.3 it right now...and anyways a frame is a little down on the list. first things first i gotta buy new snowboard boots and bindings (about 500 prolly)
then i got to get myself a z150 or 66 (only want to spend like 500 or max maybe 600). then i can get a new frame.

on another note.

is the new DHX any stronger than the vanilla rc? or is it just more adjustable. because i want a shock that i can adjust on the fly for uphill/DH/and urban. does the RC have enuf adjustability for doing that without much effort? this might seem like a retard question but i have never owned a rear shock so i dont really care if its retarded. i just want an answer.

·
bored
168 Posts
I have no reason to believe that DHX is any weaker than the RC, which isn't a "weak" shock like a RockShox ProDeluxe or even a Vanilla R. In fact, the DHX is probably stronger. In talking about the strength of a shock, I assume you mean resistance against blowing out, as the shock itself is not going break in half or anything like that.

The RC has decent adjustment, but it's nowhere near that of a DHX. Again, nothing is wrong with the RC, but it only has compression and rebound adjustment, whereas the DHX and 5th element both have pedaling platform, ride height, bottoming resistance, and, of course, compression and rebound. In my opinion, what makes a shock versatile is when it can, like the DHX, be adjusted on-the-fly from super-stiff pedaling platform with no bob, to ultra-sensitive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.