Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is doing 2 cycling specific workouts a day effective?

I started endurance sports 8 years ago racing mostly triathlon (XTerra) and would routinely do multiple workouts in a day. For example, swimming in the morning before work, and then a ride in the PM after work. I found that I usually felt really good in the afternoon especially with the swim/bike or the swim/run, not necessarily with the run/bike. Maybe too much on the legs, I don't know.

The last few years, I've pretty much focused my racing on 100k/100mi mtbiking and stopped doing tri's. Mostly because the bike is my best sport of the three and I simply enjoy it more.

Question for you guys out there would be if you think it would be effective to do a morning spin and then another afterwork ride to get in enough miles? I know this question can be hard to answer w/o knowing my overall training plan. I would characterize my training philosophy somewhere between Friel and Morris. At this point, I'm a masters level mid to back of the pack expert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Sounds like a recipe for overtraining to me. If you were doing two different types of exercises (i.e. bike in the morning then swim, weights or something else in the evening) then it might be OK however, working the exact same muscle groups without adequate rest is probably going to hurt you a lot more than it will help.
 

·
vegan cyclocross disco
Joined
·
282 Posts
You can do it without over training. Treat one of the two rides as recovery/easy ride. Don't go over zone 1 or 2. Try doing things like spin ups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
2 sleep periods are evn better!

Ideally, workout - eat some good recovery foods, nap - do other stuff (life and all...), then do a different / easier / harder workout and eat the recovery meal/dinner/whatever, then go to bed later.

Why?

If you cycl down into a REM/deep sleep pattern in that nap - then hopefully at night too - you will get two growth-hormone releases, which aid in recovery.

Cool, eh?

Doing 1 good workout, taking a nap, and then sleeping at night/regualr is dang good too!

Naps are good overall, if you can adjust to cycling down into a relaxed mode - and wake up and function pretty efficiently afterwards.
 

·
Not Smart Enough to Quit
Joined
·
644 Posts
glenzx said:
2 sleep periods are evn better!

Ideally, workout - eat some good recovery foods, nap - do other stuff (life and all...), then do a different / easier / harder workout and eat the recovery meal/dinner/whatever, then go to bed later.

Why?

If you cycl down into a REM/deep sleep pattern in that nap - then hopefully at night too - you will get two growth-hormone releases, which aid in recovery.

Cool, eh?

Doing 1 good workout, taking a nap, and then sleeping at night/regualr is dang good too!

Naps are good overall, if you can adjust to cycling down into a relaxed mode - and wake up and function pretty efficiently afterwards.
I agree, that is if your lifestyle can accomodate it. This is very similar to what the old Greg Lemond books advocates. (I can't remember the name of the book) He says in there that he would regularly do sprints in the morning, then threshold in the afternoon or some similar type of combination. He obviously trained a ton though. I'm sure that 20-30 hours in a week, even with a race weekend, would be no problem for someone like that.
 

·
I'm a unitard!
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
You can definitely do this without overtraining. If you have a hard time fitting in the time you need in one ride, you can definitely split them.

I'm going to go against the grain and say it's not optimal. I just had this discussion yesterday.

If you split up your workouts, you are sacrificing cummulative fatigue. In other words, which wears you out more, riding 2 hours straight, or 1 hour, rest, and another hour? Since endurance training is all about tearing down and recovering to get stronger, getting your workout in all it once is probably better.

That being said, I've been known to split my workouts at times.
 

·
Not Smart Enough to Quit
Joined
·
644 Posts
Lemond was doing a huge workout, like the kind that would kill an ordinary mortal, twice a day, several times a week.

Now, could he do that because he was a machine, or was he a machine because he did that?

Chicken or the egg kinda thing, ya know.

I did two a days back when I did tris (many years ago) and after a while you get used to it. I think that a hard morning workout will almost always take a bit of the edge off of you for the second workout. I also think that you would have to pay close attention to recovery. I knew a tri geek back then that would do two a days (sometime getting over 20 hours of training in per week) and he was usually on the edge of overtraining. He got sick a lot, too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
I do two workouts a day often. For example, If I have a 4 hour endurance ride the I do 2 hours in the mourning and two in the afternoon. I try to get in a 35 min nap before going to work. I am on a strict training schedule and have the luxury of time, but my coach and I find that this works fine and is not so hard mentally compared to 4 hours straigth of just riding.

GOAT
 

·
vegan cyclocross disco
Joined
·
282 Posts
Wait. Let me get this straight. You wake up, ride for 2 hours then take a nap and go to work. Get home and ride two more hours? How many hours do you work?

That's a damn busy day!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
goat said:
I do two workouts a day often. For example, If I have a 4 hour endurance ride the I do 2 hours in the mourning and two in the afternoon. I try to get in a 35 min nap before going to work. I am on a strict training schedule and have the luxury of time, but my coach and I find that this works fine and is not so hard mentally compared to 4 hours straigth of just riding.

GOAT
Wow! Given a choice - I'd take the 4 hours in the saddle all at once, any day - for two reasons. One is the cumulative fatigue as mtbfool noted - as two hours is WAY less than one-half of that 4 hour workout (I think that makes sense), and shoot! I love riding and the real on-bike mental break to be out riding for 4+/- hours is about the biggest joy I get.

So - again, a 4-hour endurance ride is not emulated by 2 hours on, a break, and then 2 more hours. I know - I've done it. BUT, 4 hours in a day has lot's of benefits anyhow - however you compose it! So - congrats on investing the time in yourself & racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
iamandy said:
Wait. Let me get this straight. You wake up, ride for 2 hours then take a nap and go to work. Get home and ride two more hours? How many hours do you work?

That's a damn busy day!
If your an early a.m. kinda person - like me, where 5AM is "late", than it's no problem with a relatively normal 9 to 5 sort of job set-up, provided there's a minimum of family/home/school/other demands on ones time. I can't do it anymore - as kid/wife/house/gimpy dog/etc... has demanded most all waking moments now-a-days.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top