·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Has anyone played with these?

double spiral CCFL DICHROIC LAMP

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=1091

Its designed for 240V AC (UK Mains voltage) I think, but u can get inverters to conver 12V DC to 240ac. (I Know i will have to be careful If I play with this idea :eek:) ....i got a degree in
electrical and electronic engineering).

I have seen these ppl make inverters that might work

http://www.ergpower.com/pub/

I am guessing it might be a bit fragile for bar mounting, but it might make a good helmet light in back up to my HID set I have on the bars at the moment Maybe even have 2. Even if the inverter is only 75% efficent thats 5 watts power consumption each once warmed up. And they claim they are cool to the touch so no heat sinks required like 5W luxeons.

Stu

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
You can get CCFL's in a 12-volt bulb, so an inverter isn't necessary.

Your biggest problem would be in harnessing the light output. It's going to be very hard to sort out a reflector to point the light where you want it. Also I'm sure the colour temperature won't be as great as a Luxeon or HID.

I do remember reading about a commuter who has rigged one up, I'll try and track down where I read about it for you.

And they claim they are cool to the touch so no heat sinks required like 5W Luxeons.
Fair enough, but is this really a negative point? Not matter which way you go you will have to make some sort of housing.

I think I've rather use a light source where the beam can be easily manipulated.

Dave.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Low Rider

I have ordered the one in the link which has a reflector.I figured its only a tenner. Going to try it on the mains to see if its worth persuing. I have seen references on chinese elctronics sights of 12V ones with reflectors. I haven't inquired though as they probably going to want sell big numbers, not 1 or 2. If the mains one is good i'll inquire.

I still like luxeons, the circuitry is easier and safer :) to use. its easy to dim the beam efficiently on the luxeons an so on.

Stu

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Sorry re the link / reflector, the site was down the other day when I checked, so I made some assumptions! :D

Yeah it would be cool to play with for sure, if you're going to all the trouble of rigging up inverters, you might as well go all out and build a DIY HID system.... :D

I’m still trying to find a link for that CCFL light I found.

Let us know how you go.

Dave.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

The lamp turned up today. I rigged it up to the mains for a quick test. I think it might make an ok commuter light as it has a very wide beam. although i am not sure it'll take much pounding mounted on the bars...especially on an unsuspended bike. But I can't comment for sure without attempting to break it :).

the beam seems to be very even over about 120 degrees, and as a result doesn't throw light very far. So unless the reflector is changed I don't think it will work as a helmet light. i think 3W luxeons are the next with reflectors :). and maybe a 5W for comparison purposes.

Funny how LEDs always used to be really directional and ppl wanted a broader beam, but luxeons a bright but with a beam on the wide side.

As for the home made HID...it would be interesting playing with em ....but HIDs don't like being turned on and off as I understand it...which is fine for my bar lights. But helmet lights aren't road legal in the UK which means frequent on and offs between trails or even when they aren't needed like on fire road sections in a 24h.

I mighjt play with optics and reflectors too....i imagine water proofing the optics is easier but reflectros seem better from what i have read recently from links on here, but does putting glass in front of a reflector to seal them negate the efficiency benefit. will borrow a light meter from work to see if there is a measureable difference either way.

Some if the DIY lights i have seen have inspired me to play with lights again after getting my hids hehe.

Stu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.