Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!!

As all of you know Whafe donated "Warp's Bike Foundation" - along with a übercool AM1 - a set of Deus cranks in NEW conditions... now that's generosity... you all should follow suit.. :D

Last ride, we rode "El Muerto" (Dead Man's Trail) and I hit the large chainring a couple times. I'm still on the old Shimano Alivio level cranks (waiting for a couple parts to complete installation), but it could have been the Deus.

Two things I can draw out of it... the large ring is not cutting it and I would be VERY bummed if I would bang the Racering large ring on the Deus cranks FUBAR.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the triple ring set-up for a 24t-36t double with a bashguard. It gives me similar gearing, but with more ground clearance.

I'm not into drops of any kind and I'm microbial-weight (140 dry - 155 wet) and I'm not a gear masher.

Would it a be good idea to put the double on the Deus or keep it as a triple? Damaging the Deus cranks would be more than painful...

Ideas?...

·
Paper or plastic?
10,726 Posts
Well, I run my RF Deus with a RF bashguard. Since I'm weak and fat, I use the 22-32 combo, and that's fine with me. When I replace my middle ring, I'll probably go for a 34t though. I never pedal that fast, so I don't need any more than 34 teeth.

I also have a Heim 3 chain tensioner. My chain almost never drops.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zorg said:
Well, I run my RF Deus with a RF bashguard. Since I'm weak and fat, I use the 22-32 combo, and that's fine with me. When I replace my middle ring, I'll probably go for a 34t though. I never pedal that fast, so I don't need any more than 34 teeth.

I also have a Heim 3 chain tensioner. My chain almost never drops.
Thanks, bro!

How much do you weigh and are you on any kind of drops?

Well... if you're more than 150 pounds, it doesn't really matters if you're into drop or not as the Deus should suffice for me.

Selling the Racering set will help me finance this venture... dang, those are expensive!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
You should be fine with a 2 ring setup. The RF has adjustable chainline so you might want to push it out a couple mm to center the two rings. Be careful selecting a bash ring as many only cover 32T or maybe 34T max.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,726 Posts
Warp said:
Thanks, bro!

How much do you weigh and are you on any kind of drops?

Well... if you're more than 150 pounds, it doesn't really matters if you're into drop or not as the Deus should suffice for me.

Selling the Racering set will help me finance this venture... dang, those are expensive!
Man, that's a really personal question you're asking there... :blush: I'm 165 + gear, and I ride a small. Basically, I don't need the big gear, and I don't really jump, but at least I don't hit rocks with my big ring.

·
GASing
508 Posts
I just got the Deus and I'm planning on getting a RaceFace bash guard. I've only used my big ring once in the last few months, and it was on the road. I have been hitting the big ring on stuff pretty regularly. I figure I'll run the guard most of the time, and then put on the big ring if I ever need it for a fast XC ride.

It would be the 104mm 4 bolt version of this

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all!!

Zorg... sorry for going intimate on the internet... But your weight figure helped me lots! :thumbsup:

HB... Bro, thanks for the advice, it never crossed my mind until I read it from you. I'm thinking the E.13 Supercharger, which comes in 36t flavour. It's around 10 bucks more expensive than others... but it comes with the bolt kit to mount the bashrings that oddly, costs around 12 bucks and that does not come with other bashrings. Seen that way, it's not that expensive and I have yet to hear bad reviews about it.

Funk... I've seen those in the flesh... They're nice and you'd be "keeping it in the family".

·
Registered
280 Posts
Crazy, I just picked up a Race Face bash for $30 US. Looks hot, and covers 36teeth. I also picked up the SRAM x.0 medium cage and will be droping a few links on the chain. I never use the Big Ring and it's starting to look, as you said, FUBAR. Drop the big ring man.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Wow! Hand-me-downs from Wafe - I'll bet that is some nice stuff.

No problemo with the Dues, 2 rings and bash. That's an alu FSA model and they now have a really nice polycarbinate model too. Not really the best DH race cranks but I raced what I brought. (that's an AM1 too with the franken fork mod)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Not quite as nice as Deus - I've got the Race Face Evolve XC Crankset & I've put an Ethirteen on there. I did give it a reasonable bash going over a big log (testing it out) and it has a very small indent in it now - I guess an Al bashring may have got more bent. My bike is almost complete in it's 1x9 set up now - just waiting on an inner ring.

Ethirteen is a bit heavier than the RF ring. The RF ring may look better with your crankset depending on what your tastes are. Really comes down to personal choice. Ethirteen is supposedly tougher??

Alternatly I do remember coming across somewher in this forum a picture of someones bike who had a outer ring / bashplate as well as keeping their 44T outer ring. I guess longer bolts would do it. But if you really want to keep your 44T and protect it seems like it may be possible.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SSINGA, Zorg...

Do I need special (longer) bolts to mount the bashguard if I drop the big ring?

I think the E.13 NEEDS them, but I'm not sure.

Can I just reuse my chainring bolts?
Anyone using the Aluminum bolts that come with the Deus or do you think ordering a set of steel ones will do?

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the buttload of questions.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Warp said:
SSINGA, Zorg...

Anyone using the Aluminum bolts that come with the Deus or do you think ordering a set of steel ones will do?

Just reuse your big ring bolts - unless you get an E13.

FSA makes clear polycarb units now in 32t and 36t models. BTI has them in stock. I just got one to replace that old alu FSA in the pics and it came with new bolts. Very nice!!

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Go for it man, you will never look back!

Pretty much the only time I've missed my big ring is on the rare occasion that we ride flat or downhill pavement to access trails. A small price to pay for the benefits- ditching the big ring means you can shorten your chain, which makes for better shifting and way less chain slap.

I run 22/34 - 12-34 on the motolite and 22/36 - 12-34 on the highline. Going above that 12t skip in front, and your front shifting does suffer a bit. I've had a bunch of different bashrings and it doesn't really matter which one you buy unless you run a chain guide. The translucent-colored E13's look the coolest though!

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
All Mountain said:
Shotgun on Whafe's Exogrid and bugger all you fork weenies... all put a 66ATA on it (who would ride a Lyrik anyways;) ....)
Delivery date of those Exogrid seatposts must be coming up close, so maybe a Masterpiece thomson will be coming up for grabs soon to;)

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
SSINGA said:
Just reuse your big ring bolts - unless you get an E13.

FSA makes clear polycarb units now in 32t and 36t models. BTI has them in stock. I just got one to replace that old alu FSA in the pics and it came with new bolts. Very nice!!

Warp,

I have an FSA 32T polycarbonate bash on the Hones on my SS... it is a lightweight alternative.. and plenty strong... as SSINGA said, there is also a 36T version you could take a look at...

The FSA came with special bolts, but the stock bolts actually provided a better fit... I suppose the FSA bolts are for using a thicker chainring or something like that.....

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dulyebr said:
Warp, why not do the 38t DH ring set-up intead?
Because of the 12t jump that FM mentions... the FD can take only 12t gear jump as per Shimano instructions and going 38t and keeping a 24t granny looks impossible.

I still need able to generate enough torque with the tranny, beacuse you just can't have it from the engine. :D

FM... Great advice, no BS as always... Yeah, it took me a few years, but that big ring ain't seeing much use (except on road, where it gives the right cadence) and just giving me headaches at ground clearance.

Besides, it'd be a shame to damage such cool rings on the Deus. It's just a waste. I was not using all my gears at the cassette anyway... I see it as a way to optimize the whole enchilada.

The chainrings will go up for sale and I'll venture on getting the double+bash. Those FSA rings look cool and seem to be just what I need. Cheap and protective. Honestly, I could go with the double set-up only... but the bashring will not hurt.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,726 Posts
Warp said:
SSINGA, Zorg...

Here is my set up. RF bashguards come in different sizes to cover either 32 teeth or more. I really like the Heim 3.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.