Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

...and I don't mean In 'N Out Burger.

Not sure know if this has been talked about (no luck in a search here) but I was perusing the White Ind. site and saw something they call the:

The ENO DOUBLE/DOUBLE - available in 2005

IN - 35/19 - hit the mountain

OUT - 38/16 - around town

Your chain length will not change, but your gear ratio will - try it. You'll like it.

It's a little vague (to my rather feeble mind...) but with no picture I was trying to visulize just what this looks like. Anyone seen or used this yet? (ErNestO, are you out there?).

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone. See you at Sea Otter.
ssRR

·
Registered
338 Posts
The ENO DOUBLE/DOUBLE - available in 2005

IN - 35/19 - hit the mountain

OUT - 38/16 - around town

Your chain length will not change, but your gear ratio will - try it. You'll like it.

No magic, just numbers. Two rings and two cogs = 2 gears. The chain length doesn't change because both gear combinations have the same total number of teeth
35+19=54
38+16=54

To switch gears you loosen your rear wheel or eccentric bottom bracket (EBB) or ENO eccentric hub - and chain tensioner if using one that is fixed - and manually switch the chain from one gear to the other. With vertical dropouts you might get lucky and have those gears work without a tensioner, If not, use a tensioner.

I have a similar setup using a road derailleur as a tensioner and some cogs from a busted up cassette. With a tensioner you don't have to have the same total teeth count in each gear. I have one ring up front. I use the barrel adjuster on the derailleur to switch the chain from one cog to the other. But you could go with 2 rings.

34/17 for rolling single track
34/20 for the mountain

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh!

Thanks! I get it now -I's a little slow on the uptake sometimes...so I'm guessing that the double crank set is combo package of sorts with the double freewheel ("dos ENO")?
Cool.

Appreciate the clarity Hu-Man!
ssRR

No magic, just numbers. Two rings and two cogs = 2 gears. The chain length doesn't change because both gear combinations have the same total number of teeth
35+19=54
38+16=54

To switch gears you loosen your rear wheel or eccentric bottom bracket (EBB) or ENO eccentric hub - and chain tensioner if using one that is fixed - and manually switch the chain from one gear to the other. With vertical dropouts you might get lucky and have those gears work without a tensioner, If not, use a tensioner.

I have a similar setup using a road derailleur as a tensioner and some cogs from a busted up cassette. With a tensioner you don't have to have the same total teeth count in each gear. I have one ring up front. I use the barrel adjuster on the derailleur to switch the chain from one cog to the other. But you could go with 2 rings.

34/17 for rolling single track
34/20 for the mountain[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
338 Posts
pacman said:
Sure, double the gears, double the weigh.... oops
Yes, but some of us have to ride one bike in many situations, and ride to trails on the road, so having a choice is nice, but I don't need 27 gears of choice. The Double-double set up covers a wide range of terraine. Its like having 2 bikes - I just pick which SS I am going to ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.