Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dual crowns are used to make a fork stiffer, and making stiff a stiff fork was not something companies had really figured out how to do yet when your old Manito was made. There are so many other factors in design and materials that affect stiffness that more modern forks just don't need the extra weight and other complications of a dual crown and yet are still stiffer than your Manitou.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What are the benefiets of a double crown fork vs. a single crown fork?
I am currently running an older manitou vert x fork(100mm). I have a friend who wants to unload some bike parts and he has the marzocchi bomber (110mm). This is a single crown fork.

I have been out of the mountain bike game for while. I am just curious if one of you more experienced riders could give me some advice on the subject.
Thanks in advance for your help!
:thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Hey Dougal...does this look familiar?:D

This was one of my old X-Verts that a friend bought, and he rode that fork for many years after that...about 10, I believe. TPC+ and some very smooth action. To the OP, I had a '99 and a '00 model of this fork, and they had about 115mm of travel if I remember correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Yes the old Xvert DC is a great fork. Mine still resides on my little sisters bike. I have the single crown version (xvert super) on my steel hardtail.

I modified my one to 145mm of travel, I rode it that way from 2000 until about 2004. I've also got an Xvert carbon hanging on my wall, Travis DC sitting in my lounge and a Sherman Slider (the TPC+ one) sitting in my garage.

Dual crown forks have stiffness far in excess of any single crown. Sure 1.5" and tapered steerers have helped single crown forks, but there's no substitute for having two tubes clamped by two different crowns. Regardless of material or design details.

Here's my Xvert DC in 2003.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts